Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CH4D Die Quality Question?

Boolit Master
    if you own the reamer send it to the die company to use to make the sizing die. that way you know the die will be a match to your chamber.

Boolit Master

I thought the chamber reamer was different than the die reamer.

Boolit Master
    i maybe out dated. but that is the way the benchrest shooters and the wildcatters did it. cut the chamber then cut the die with the same reamer.

Boolit Master
    The chamber reamer can be used for the bullet seater die. This is frequently done when the shell is merely decapped, neck sized in a Sinclair type pound/press in and out die, primed with a separate tool and reloaded with hand pressure on a plunger to seat the bullet. For full length resizing, the reamer has to be a few thousandths smaller than the chamber, as the brass always springs back a little.

Banned

Ihave two CH4D sizing dies they work just dandy. I'd recommend them.

Recently I bought 7,62x38R Nagant Revolver die set. It is the only 4 die set they produce (the 4th die closes the case over the bullet). The quality is very good and foolproof, 59 Rocwells hard, the functional surfaces are mirror polished and ergonomy is well worked out. The price was reasonable if I take in consideration, that the same set from RCBS was twice as much... The owner of the company Mr. Dave Davidson is the mine of information and he is very willing to help. If I had known before, I would have bought 7,62 Tokarev and .357 Sig dies from CH4D, too. If I ever find in Slovakia Walther PP Super in 9x18 Super (9x18 Ultra) I will buy CH4 dies again.
    Shooting is fun because it produces empty shells I can reload. This is the menu I try to prepare myself with love to serve it to my guns:
    .223 Rem, 6,35 Browning, 7,62x38R Nagant Revolver, 7,62x25 Tokarev, 7,62x39, 7,62x54R, .308 Win, 7,65 Browning, .32 S&W Long, 9 Browning, 9x18 Makarov, 9x19, .357 Sig, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .357 Max, .40 S&W, .10 Auto, .44 Spl, .44 RemMag, .45 ACP, .45 LC.

All I can add here is my .02 that Dave is a great guy to work with. He is definitely one of "them that knows."

Their products are as good or better than everyone elses, and the odds of finding oddball dies that are in stock or can be quickly made is higher there than virtually any other place.

I love my C&H 444 Press and it will be with me until I don't do this anymore. Like when I croak.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Not much to add to what has been said. I have several sets of their dies and one of their presses. I have no doubt that they will not only out last me but that they will still be going strong when their next owner passes. Dave will get it right for you.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

It is where I got my 375-06 dies , talked about 5 pacific time with an older gentleman , very informational and great service , got dies in about a month and love them .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    It is where I got my 375-06 dies , talked about 5 pacific time with an older gentleman , very informational and great service , got dies in about a month and love them .
    You spoke with Dave! I was shocked the first time I called and a real, live knowledgeable, person answered the phone. And then quickly solved an insurmountable problem I was having with a press. Love their products and appreciate their customer service. Rating = 5 stars
    Gary

Boolit Master
    I have several sets of CH dies.

Those made by the old regime were pretty identical inside dimensionally to RCBS.
    The current CH dies size the neck down about .002 to .003 more than most brands.
    I would prefer less sizing of the neck because most brands already size it down .005 to .007 too much.

One of my pet peeves are the sloppy external threads on Redding dies.
    CH dies do have very good cut threads on the outside.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 32ideal View Post
    Excellent dies, just make sure if it is for a odd ball, non standard cartridge you call and talk to the owner Dave with the data on your rifle/cartridge so you get the correct dies.
    32ideal
    Wrong. Talked to Dave to make sure of die neck diameter which sounded perfect. Ordered it, tried it and neck was .006" smaller than he said.
    Hard to get a hold of, lousy service. Never again.

Boolit Master

I too have used and recommend them. One caution - back when C&H and 4D ere separate - during the merge there were some reports old bad dies. I am talking 1980's stuff. Maybe true., I don't know. I met him once at a gun show and discussed this issue. I got the impression I could send them back for correction or replacement. I have no complaints and will buy more stuff.

Boolit Master

danyboy, did you contact Dave and give him a chance to get the problem corrected? Was the problem of neck being too small by .006" inside diameter or outside diameter. I have dealt with him several times on a foreign caliber and he has always had the right info and equipment. james

Boolit Master

Dave makes great dies.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve had some CH4D dies and they are fine.

Just FYI that Grafs has Redding 35 Whelen Ackley Improved in stock for $109.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12