Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CH4D Die Quality Question?

CH4D Die Quality Question?

What are your thoughts on the Dies that CH4D offers?

Thank You.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    Good as any. ???

Excellent dies, just make sure if it is for a odd ball, non standard cartridge you call and talk to the owner Dave with the data on your rifle/cartridge so you get the correct dies.
    32ideal

I am not sure about Oddball but I am going to have my 35 Whelen changed to a 35 Whelen AI. And was looking at Die sets and CH4D looks to have the best deal.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

My father-in-law has been using their dies for decades. They cost Less than the competition, and he can get oddball ones faster.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Never used their loading dies.

Their swaging dies are rough and ugly and make beautiful bullets.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Super Moderator

..............I only have two sets of CH-4D dies. The first I bought from them maybe 15 years ago was for the 577-450. A few weeks after getting them I became educated to the fact that for a MkIV Martini Enfield you do NOT want them to size the neck down to hold a .458" slug, but a .472" OD. I called and talked to Dave. SInce he'd lived here in So. California some years back we had a gabfest and both realized it's turned into a real cesspool.

Back on topic he merely said they'd take care of them if I'd send them back with 2 fired cases and a coupel boolits. The 2nd set was for a 375-'06 AI. I called, they had them in stock and 3 days later I had them in hand. DIies are as good as anyone else's, nice folks, and great prices (RCBS 577-450 dies - $350+. CH-4D = $153)

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus
    I have and use their sets in 310 Cadet, 8x58R, 8x57 (.319 bullet), No2 Musket, & 11mm Werder.

First class dies in every way.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    Dave is a great guy to talk with. I'm not sure of the timeline in relation to 4D die company but he made a post sizer die in 223 back in 1970. He works evenings and does return calls in the evenings. I had him make me a taper crimp die in 327 Fed and he contacted me shortly to send a modified 30 Carbine die. It works like a charm. We talked about TiN coating some Dillon powder funnels and I will send a couple to see if it will work. I believe he covers a wider range of calibers than any company. He has made 20mm and 25mm dies. He built these for the man who owned Old Western Scrounger to use in his Rock Crusher press. He does make some swaging dies but once a year now. He explained that the Champion press has been redesigned since CH originally built them. A university group of engineering students redesigned the leverage part of the press. The ram is a solid 1-1/8" drilled through for primer disposal. I wish I had one of the old slotted rams to try out Pat's gas check maker dies. This is a 30 lb heavyweight press.

Dave has taken care of me for the old CH dies are in my collection plus a three station H-press that is being currently restoring.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Mold
    Dave's my "GO-TO-GUY" for all my odd-ball and wildcat cartridges. How good is he? Well, look at these:
    #1 The Family Martini, cases made with his dies ranging from .224" up to .400" diameter. Mathmatically proportioned cases, various parent cases.

#2 A standard .577-450 M-H case next to a .402" Enfield Martini case, made with his dies.

#3 Some shots of my P-13 Troop Trials Rifle and .276 Enfield ammo made from 8 X 68S RWS Mag brass, done with his dies. He even produced the dimensional drawing of the original British .276 cartridge from one I was able to provide him.

Just a few examples of what he's done for me over the years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 114.jpg   Picture 116.jpg   .267 ENFIELD RL-18000C CARTRIDGE DATA.jpg   P1130421.jpg   P1130423.jpg  

WOW Thank You all for the Good information on CH4D. I will give him a shout for a die set for my To Be 35 Whelen AI.

Banned

I have 2 CH4D die sets, good stuff and they stand behind their work.

Boolit Master
    A little less finished on the outside compared to the RCBS, Redding, etc, but good as any on the inside. Dave is very knowledgable and will absolutely stand behind his work. They are my "go-to" company for obsolete calibers.

Boolit Grand Master

CH4D are good people and all of the dies I have are first rate. If you have a problem they will take care of you. Allways a pleasure doing business with them. They went above and beyond the call of duty to send me a small spring clip to hold a shellholder in an obsolete press I have, not many would even bother with an order for a $0.25 part but they did and now my press is working again.

gary....more than satisfied customer

Jester: Dave is the owner but he works nights. Call after 3PM Ohio time.to talk to him. Excellent guy to deal with, and is one of "them that knows" for sure.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

In a few weeks I will order the Reamer to cut the chamber and at the same time try and get some specs to give to Dave at CH4D.

Boolit Master

what's the average time to get your dies when you order them if they arent in stock?

Boolit Master

I have gone to C&H(CH4D) for my hard to find and problem reloading for years. Yes, call in the evening and talk as long as you want. He is a wealth of knowledge. I got an education is one evening about the old blackpowder rounds and some of their little quirks. I have and will continue to buy dies and reloading equipment from them. As stated, their quality is as good as anybodys. james

I bought a set of 38 sp dies from ebay. The carbide sizer is larger than my others by Lee or RCBS. The CH die worked perfectly as the Lee and RCBS dies sized too small resulting in swaged bullets. I planned to have a 550 toolhead for both 357 and 38. I called CH4D to ask for another carbide die of the size I wanted. Brian told me they don't make any that size. He then looked through a box of reject dies and measured them until he found one of the size I wanted. I could not be happier with the dies or service from CH4D. Call them and buy with confidence.

Boolit Mold
    Silly question, are his straight wall pistol does carbide? I see nothing indicating they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast