WidenersLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wounded Warrior Project rejects gun-owners, gun organizations, gun manufacturers

In Remembrance

Angry Wounded Warrior Project rejects gun-owners, gun organizations, gun manufacturers

Breaking news. . .

I thought maybe I'd woken up on the wrong planet when a buddy of mine from south Texas called me, then e-mailed me this exchange between Tom Gresham (Gun Talk) and the Wounded Warrior Project.

Made a call to WWP and it's true.

I told them (WWP) where to go, how to get there, when to get off and what to do on the way there.

Here is the exchange. . .

Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange

by Gun Talk on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:56am ·

After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.

We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has a booth at SHOT show and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.

-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:
    ====================
    Hello, Leslie:
    Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.
    I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms. Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.
    Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"
    I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email. Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?
    Thank you.
    Tom Gresham

============
    Good afternoon -
    While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org...rtunities.aspx
    WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    LESLIE A. COLEMAN
    public relations director
    O: 904.405.1433
    M: 904.654.8138
    F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
    4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
    Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================
    Thanks for confirming that, Leslie. It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.
    I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners.
    Best regards,
    Tom Gresham
    =====================
    Good morning --
    This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.
    Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.
    Thank you.
    LESLIE A. COLEMAN
    public relations director
    =============================
    Hello, Leslie:
    Thank you for that explanation.
    I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used.
    This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.
    Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.
    It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training.
    At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.
    I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.
    Sincerely,
    Tom Gresham

I haven't listened to Grisham's show much but have been a doner to WWP. I need to reconsider. I will take the vote is Fl and their location into consideration. Note that the local TV news has gotten into that act also.
    substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.
    So they don't take donations from Co or Wa either. Kind of like the Komen thing me thinks. Wife has a cousin who wasn't wounded in Nam but LOVES his drugs. Also likes all the welfare he can get.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing this J.D., it saddens and angers me all at the same time. I cannot comment further and remain within the guidelines of this forum...
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    Why do these organizations try so hard to alienate such a large portion of their potential donors?

Boolit Master

I can't say much about the wounded warrior project, never dealt with them, though I did in the past use the services of The Coalition to Salute America's Hero's. They were a great organization that aided my wife and family both with financial assistance, and with the mountains of paper work that was required to get my retirement straightened out while I was recovering from my injuries. I send them money every chance I get simply because even though I know I will in no way be able to pay them back for what they did for my family, the money I give will be added to others money to help some other Vet's family.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Grand Master

Staff collected donations for the WWP at every USPSA match I shot this year. I somehow doubt that WWP turned down the tainted money.

Boolit Master

It is very sad, with an attitude toward us like that, I believe they have seen the last of my money.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

I wouldnt be surprised if Leslie Coleman was unemployed tomorrow morning. This doesn't make a bit of sense.

Coalition to Salute America's Hero's
    yes, another good one. WWP will get a nice(?) letter instead of a check next time.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    As someone who has lost a wife and 30 years later her daughter to suicide A gun is not necessary. When someone decides to end it all most will use anything to do the deed. A piece of broken window glass,razor blade,a gal of gasoline and many other ways come to mind.

To single out a single item for doing the deed is just showing you have a particular axe to grind and will use every opportunity to advance your own position.

If the lady truly wants to help folks with ANY sort of suicidal tendencies there are better places for her EMPLOYMENT.

I think someone should quickly show her and any others of her type out the door.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Not sure what to say about this one. It is obviously a worthy cause tainted by an asinine policy.

Should we support the cause or not? Dunno.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Should we support the cause or not? Dunno.....
    As a veteran, I REFUSE to support ANY organization that coattails on our sacrifices and struggles in order advance a liberal PC agenda.

in Remebrance
    Amen, J. D., Amen. Goat
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    As a veteran, I REFUSE to support ANY organization that coattails on our sacrifices and struggles in order advance a liberal PC agenda.

That sums it up for me too. They can get stuffed.

Boolit Master
    Our gun club has been donating 500 bucks a year to the WWP, this email will be shared at the next meeting next Tuesday.

Boolit Master

I recently "joined" the WWP, sent them 19 bucks with a commitment for 19$ every month.

In return I got a WWP "blanket" Ha ha. A thin rag about the size of a beach towel with a poorly done screen print with their logo.

Now I feel I should block their access to my bank account.

I bet it's some dames private agenda surfacing. Notice every request for info was answered by the same dame? I wonder if the head honcho knows how many people he has ready to withdraw their support?

What was that guys name, Zumbo or some such, dissing on the AR platform as a non-sporting rifle? Uncle Ted straightened him out, but he lost all his sponsors for his column.

I saw this on the firing line and a couple of other forums just recently. It's a worthy cause, but loosing every would-be contributor, or having supporters withdraw current support from the gun community, can't be good.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    I donated to them a while back and always touted them as being a great organization. This is ****, and I will be sure to let them know they will never receive another penny from me.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post

I bet it's some dames private agenda surfacing. Notice every request for info was answered by the same dame? I wonder if the head honcho knows how many people he has ready to withdraw their support?
    Snuffy,

Leslie Coleman is the public information officer for the organization. All she does is regurgitate the talking points or policies that are set by the Board of Directors. She didn't make this policy--she only communicates it and enforces it in the event of media relations matters, such as with Tom Gresham's show request.

However, she agrees with it or else she would resigned, so I have zero sympathy with any vitriol she receives.

I've sat on too many non-profit organizations boards and I know that we were rarely ever "called out" on our policies or opinions. Of course, I would never have agreed to or advanced a loony liberal PC policy or stance either.

The Board of Directors for WWP either set up this policy, or they allowed it to become part of the organization's by-laws.

Doesn't matter a damned bit which way it was or is to me. Fact is, they are a bunch of cowardly hypocrites and they are coattailing on the backs of injured, disabled and/or traumatized U.S. servicemen and women--and that is bull you-know-what.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    I can't say much about the wounded warrior project, never dealt with them, though I did in the past use the services of The Coalition to Salute America's Hero's. They were a great organization that aided my wife and family both with financial assistance, and with the mountains of paper work that was required to get my retirement straightened out while I was recovering from my injuries. I send them money every chance I get simply because even though I know I will in no way be able to pay them back for what they did for my family, the money I give will be added to others money to help some other Vet's family.

Best wishes,

Joe
    Sally Ann's president earns about $18,000 per year. Most of the others donate their time and expertise.

I could not list all of the projects they have going

I do remember one where they took criminals on probation provided shelter,food and clothing while helping them find a job where they could learn a REAL profession.

You broke their rules or curfew and back to the slammer you went. Very few went back to jail. It worked for Sally Ann. the parolees and the rest of us that have to pay the bill to keep them in jail.

And all of this with a leader that only gets $18,000 per year.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

In Remembrance
    I could be wrong, but I think some outfitters here have taken wounded warriors on handicapped hunting trips here. Is this a new policy change?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast