Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 99 of 130 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Master

I'm looking for the same answer as Oreo "Is there any sign that polyester or polyurethane powders work better then the other?

I even saw an "acrylic" powder. it was a clear for car rims. Anyone know if that would be any good?"
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Bub
    I just got some clear polyester powder coat in the mail yesterday, I coated some tonight and will test in a day or 2. I will post my results.

Here is the specs: SUPER DURABLE HIGH GLOSS CLEAR COAT

SUPER DURABLE POLYESTER TGIC

QUANTITY - (1LB)
    CURE TIME = 400F/10 MIN @ PMT (PART METAL TEMPERATURE)
    GLOSS LEVEL = 100% (MIRROR FINISH)
    SPECIFIC GRAVITY = 1.2 - 1.8
    THEORETICAL COVERAGE = 71.5 SQ. FT/LB
    SALT SPRAY RESULTS = 3,000+ HRS
    Last edited by AverageJoe; 02-04-2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Update

Boolit Buddy
    Alright just picked up the equipment for the PC. I'm sure it says somewhere here but I'm on the road,, will a little toaster oven work for now? If I like it all then I will buy a better rig. I got the kit with the gun and power for under 100.00 bucks with a couple cans of black from Harbor freight.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lka View Post
    Alright just picked up the equipment for the PC. I'm sure it says somewhere here but I'm on the road,, will a little toaster oven work for now? If I like it all then I will buy a better rig. I got the kit with the gun and power for under 100.00 bucks with a couple cans of black from Harbor freight.
    The small one will work, but a convection one will do better (more even baking). Keep an eye on your temp, a lot of them vary on temps. The small ones just limit your number.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lka View Post

will a little toaster oven work for now?
    Yes. Nothing else really needs to be said - just 'yes'.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys unfortunately a worker broke my water main so I didn't have time to test the new stuff maybe tomorrow.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    Good luck with the water main. You will enjoy the set up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON4X4 View Post
    Good luck with the water main. You will enjoy the set up.
    Thanks and the main grew I noticed afterwards it was also leaking under the driveway, we dug a ton and have a guy coming tomorrow to water bore and then install a new line lol it's going to cost me about 10 kegs of powder we got it patched enough to shower/feed the kids then I'll need to turn it off for the evening lol..

I'll checkin after I get some rounds panted, I'm excited to try it!
    Hope for change.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    A little toaster oven works just great for me, but do get some sort of thermometer and check it, because little toaster thermostats do not work. You can use a laser thermometer, or just a $2 bake thermometer from WalMart, or... I was using my casting thermometer. But the toaster was 75 degrees off on mine. Some are even off by enough to reduce the boolits to a puddle of lead.
    Best bet is to eventually find you a convection oven/toaster, and still check the temp. But I'm making boolits that shoot, with a $15 Black & Decker from Kroger.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Yes. Nothing else really needs to be said - just 'yes'.
    And "will one oar move a boat?" The answer is yes.......but 2 oars are better and a outboard is the best!

You are extremely lucky to have a standard oven that will do an acceptable job. Several I know were not that lucky and have gone the recommended route of convection.

I threw my cheepy standard oven away.....melted boolits.....uncured powder......burnt powder. Severe hot & cold spots under the elements. Thermostat was off by 120F. (there are scientific reasons for that. Read some of my other posts on ovens in the PC threads and why they do/do not work for what we are doing.)

But yes, a cheap oven will sort of work. Most of your results (good or bad) will totally rely on the quality, brand, age, and other things about that specific brand oven. If you have an old one, try it. If not, spend a little more and buy the best new......we are only talking a hundred dollars or so.

I spend the money up front and get the best I can. Why waste time (and money) trying to do things on the cheeeeeeep?

bangerjim

Convection makes sense, a little fan keeps the temp consistent throughout.

The one I use was $40 from Walmart. Its temp knob is accurate, confirmed by a casting thermometer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0005087580550_180X180.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	95688

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...en&_tt=toaster oven

It only comes with one rack/tray but has two slots so I made a second tray and bake 150-160 boolits at a whack.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Buddy
    Hey guys, I'd like to update the first page of this thread a bit, sort of turning it into a "FAQ" of sorts since everyone seems to come here for the basic questions/answers. (It is, afterall, a sticky!) Before I do though, I'd like to get input from those of you who have experience or know of someone with experience around PC'ing in general. That way new folks don't have to weed through 99+ pages to make sure they don't miss anything. If you can, please PM me with what you think is pertinent info.

Things I'd like to verify and/or put in the FAQ:

Accuracy (which I know, is debatable)
    Velocities (so far the fastest I've heard of is 3200fps)
    Methods (ESPC, dry tumble, wet tumble)
    Powder types (TGIC, polyester, etc.)
    Tray types (non-stick foil w/nuts, nails, etc.)
    Oven types (toaster, convection, etc.)
    Gun types (for ESPC method)
    Places to get powder (PBTP, HF, Columbia Coatings, Eastwood, Caswell, APP, etc.)
    Gas check or not?
    Bottom coat necessary?
    Lube grooves necessary?
    Different loading necessary? (Work up your loads vs. published data)

Any links to videos/pictures/forum posts (whether here or elsewhere) is also appreciated.

How about starting a new thread for that? The current one is 99 pages of people trying to figure things out. The new one could be things that people figured out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    How about starting a new thread for that? The current one is 99 pages of people trying to figure things out. The new one could be things that people figured out.
    That was the point, this is already a sticky, I could update this one - a new one would just start the process all over again and I can edit the (my) first post in this thread with the info. Most new people see a long thread like this and realize there's a ton of info in it so they come here. No need for multiple posts.

My only concern is that most people, seeing a 99 page thread would never read the first 80 pages. I usually skip to the end to see what people have perfected, rather than read through the pages where people are still experimenting. If others do that too, they'd never see the neatly organized first post.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I usually read the first page, or at least the first 2-3 posts to get what the idea was about and why the thread was good enough material for a sticky, then skip to the last page to see what's new with the idea.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    My only concern is that most people, seeing a 99 page thread would never read the first 80 pages. I usually skip to the end to see what people have perfected, rather than read through the pages where people are still experimenting. If others do that too, they'd never see the neatly organized first post.
    pricket makes a good point. I have the same concerns on a thread I started.

I have been told the moderators may allow the thread originator to edit a thread. I have not pursued this as the thread I started is still under 8 pages but there is a bunch of garbage in it that needs to be trashed if it keeps growing.

Doing this is a lot of work on a 100 page thread so I have decided that 8 pages is the limit for me. There is so much "lookie at what I did yesterday" and "oh nice job" that does nothing to inform and educate.

Almost no one is going to read a 100 page thread - if they have a life. A sticky that is over 20 pages is not a sticky any more IMHO. Too much junk. Then we complain about newbies who do not read the stickies. Go figure - LOL

If/when I do this, I will post something on the thread saying, "This thread will be edited in one week to remove posts that do not contribute to the intent of the thread."

For example, look at the Extreme Lube thread. It really needs a Cliff notes version. And it is a shame really because there is a lot of good work it but it is buried. The coatings stickies are the worst offenders IMHO.

Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Don't think.......DO!!!!!!!!!! HA.....ha. (sorry....I sound like our "buddy"...Don't boo....vote)

I ESPC my 30-06's all the time. I do not shoot them at full jacketed loads, but at lower plinking loads. Some on here are getting up to very high rifle velocities with good success. I would rely on GC's! Period! (ooooops.....sorry again!)

But do not be afraid to try it. It is very easy and results are amazing. I just hated messing around with greasy lubes, concocting them over smoldering pots, and getting them to stick to the boolits right.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!

bangerjim
    Thanks for the encouragement, it is on my to do list!

I was at my local Subway the other day. I noticed they had a new toaster oven, so I had to ask what happened to the old one. They said some part on it broke. I wish I could have snagged it first. Bummer!

Boolit Master

FYI scanned all the pages but am sure I missed something
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Page 99 of 130 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast