Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 97 of 130 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by StromBusa View Post
    .309 scares me, but then I am a complete newb to the PC thing. Average Joe.. I loaded like 160 jacketed 125's to warm it up... The way backorders can take years worries me. I'd like to gamble on a die and complete my checkout for the mold. I guess If I go small I can always ream it out & grind a new pin. I use RCBS lube sizer. I guess that would be a .309, sounds small for lead, but then this PC is a new deal... Xacex, since the .309 fed in your guns, did you see any leading (& were you using gas checks?)? Thanks for the feedback guys!
    If you are concerned about sizes, skip using your expensive lubra-matic with dies and by the inexpensive Lee sizing dies for the sizes around where you think you will be. Last time I bought one is was $18 and included that dreaded bottle of LLA.

banger

Boolit Bub
    silver bullets shoot great.i will have to take some pics of the target.

Boolit Master
    Wait till you have the barrel in hand and can take proper measurements before buying size dependent tools. This is a case of "the best things to those who wait."

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Wait till you have the barrel in hand and can take proper measurements before buying size dependent tools. This is a case of "the best things to those who wait."
    Good advice, however, when I do get to slug the barrel (November..) I will still be wondering if I need to size on the plus side like for lead/lube, or go smaller like with jacketed Ø's , it's the feed factor as well.
    I like to do as much in advance as I can given the ten month tax stamp delay...

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    If you are concerned about sizes, skip using your expensive lubra-matic with dies and by the inexpensive Lee sizing dies for the sizes around where you think you will be. Last time I bought one is was $18 and included that dreaded bottle of LLA.

banger
    Excellent, I guess for accuracy I should try a few Ø's anyway, & I can use by buddies Lee set up, then spring for the winner for the RCBS . Good Thinking!

Boolit Grand Master
    Excellent, I guess for accuracy I should try a few Ø's anyway, & I can use by buddies Lee set up, then spring for the winner for the RCBS . Good Thinking!
    Excellent! Hope I saved you some coin!

banger

Vendor Sponsor

Heres something to think about .. you can cast/ powdercoat and size to 312 now
    if your barrel turns out to need 309 to 311 you can just resize then .. Nothing will be harmed ..
    I have actually sized down (after powdercoating and waiting 3 weeks) from 460 all the way to 452 and bullets shot great
    at least you would be ahead on the bullet supply
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Heres something to think about .. you can cast/ powdercoat and size to 312 now
    if your barrel turns out to need 309 to 311 you can just resize then .. Nothing will be harmed ..
    I have actually sized down (after powdercoating and waiting 3 weeks) from 460 all the way to 452 and bullets shot great
    at least you would be ahead on the bullet supply
    Good to know, thanks...I can have them ready to stuff.... or to resize & stuff. Note to self: do not stuff in cases...

Boolit Master
    .309 scares me, but then I am a complete newb to the PC thing. Average Joe.. I loaded like 160 jacketed 125's to warm it up... The way backorders can take years worries me. I'd like to gamble on a die and complete my checkout for the mold. I guess If I go small I can always ream it out & grind a new pin. I use RCBS lube sizer. I guess that would be a .309, sounds small for lead, but then this PC is a new deal... Xacex, since the .309 fed in your guns, did you see any leading (& were you using gas checks?)? Thanks for the feedback guys!
    I have not got any leading with P/C at .309 which is larger than bore diameter, but I am using gas checks. You will have to play around with size to see what fits your gun.The 300 blk that will feed anything most of the time doesn't care what the size is from .311, to .309 as far as accuracy goes. I do water quench after P/C, and am now adding copper to my alloy.
    When I was trying traditional lubes, then the Recluse 45/45/10 at .309 I did get leading with the lee 230 blk boolit, and 9mm sized to .357. Not any more with P/C. The trouble of powder coating is a lot less of a hassle than cleaning lead out of a barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I have not got any leading with P/C at .309 which is larger than bore diameter, but I am using gas checks. You will have to play around with size to see what fits your gun.The 300 blk that will feed anything most of the time doesn't care what the size is from .311, to .309 as far as accuracy goes. I do water quench after P/C, and am now adding copper to my alloy.
    When I was trying traditional lubes, then the Recluse 45/45/10 at .309 I did get leading with the lee 230 blk boolit, and 9mm sized to .357. Not any more with P/C. The trouble of powder coating is a lot less of a hassle than cleaning lead out of a barrel.
    Thanks for the information...them pics of your 300's in black had me clicking away @ HF in no time..I am on a new quest! I got a mail from HF today...powder coater gun & regulator & powder has shipped! I missed out on the group buy of the hollow pointed & gas checked molds <125's>. It's all good & I am going to have some fun!
    Last edited by StromBusa; 01-28-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Be cautious with the H/F black. There may be a problem with it. I would use only gloss colors unless you shoot infrequently.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Be cautious with the H/F black. There may be a problem with it. I would use only gloss colors unless you shoot infrequently.
    There is still no definitive proof of this. There are hundreds on here using black and there are no reports of anyone's gun "being eaten alive" by matte black HF PC.

I use black (the newer stuff) with no problems. And will continue using it, along with many other colors. Some on here, who will not spring for the measly $50 ES gun, bemoan the black simply because it will not work with DT. It is the sharpest looking coating out there!

But, please, make your own determination on usage. The jury is still out. This is a relative new "science" for all of us and only Father Time will have the final say.

But, by all means, HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

bangerjim

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

I use black (the newer stuff) with no problems. And will continue using it, along with many other colors. Some on here, who will not spring for the measly $50 ES gun, bemoan the black simply because it will not work with DT. It is the sharpest looking coating out there!
    Have you tried to dry coat with the "newer stuff" HF black? I'm curious whether it'll now work for dry coat.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Have you tried to dry coat with the "newer stuff" HF black? I'm curious whether it'll now work for dry coat.
    I am out of town on business now but when I get back next week, I plan on opening up a bottle of it and trying both methods for comparison. Will advise results.

B4 I left, I checked some 45's I did "back when" and they were that "rough" feel also. There was something about that 1st bottle back in June-July that did it. Those are the ones I am re-coating with DT red.

banger

maybe you guys still had toast crumbs in the ovens?

I hope I dont end up fire lapping my barrel, I will do a short run & the "finger test"...I want that black look for the blackout.

Boolit Master
    maybe you guys still had toast crumbs in the ovens?

I hope I dont end up fire lapping my barrel, I will do a short run & the "finger test"...I want that black look for the blackout.
    I still have some rounds loaded that were coated with HF black, and I will still shoot them. Depending on where you are at you could coat with the Teflon black they sell on ebay. I don't think you will get any wear using that powder, but certain places will lock you up for them.

I found some low friction Teflon here, not sure if anyone tried it yet, they also have a very pricey "Hi temp" version for headers & such.
    allpowderpaints.com

Boolit Bub
    those are some mighty pretty bullets, I can't wait to try PC.

Joined the forum 2 years ago and read it regularly. I never have taken the time to post until now. I am amazed at the quality and variety of information available on this site. I originally found the site while looking for bullet swaging information. Powder coating bullets really intrigues me and I will have to give it a shot at some point. I am especially interested in .30 cal. bullets.

I also am looking forward to try powder coating for my Tikka .308 and Mosin Nagant.
    Slim

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino77 View Post
    Joined the forum 2 years ago and read it regularly. I never have taken the time to post until now. I am amazed at the quality and variety of information available on this site. I originally found the site while looking for bullet swaging information. Powder coating bullets really intrigues me and I will have to give it a shot at some point. I am especially interested in .30 cal. bullets.
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Page 97 of 130 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast