MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 93 of 130 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Thanks Beagle333, I may try that, depending on any other suggestions. My washers may have been the thinner ones but I saw no others.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    ???? Mine are not too shallow for my .30 cals..... but anyway I know that JB-Weld will take the heat. It's what I use to glue the nuts to the pan.
    The 24hr JB is good for over 500deg, the quick-set is spec'ed at 200-something.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Thanks EL34, all good info.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Thanks EL34, all good info.

Slim
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Banned
    For 30 cal boolits I used a 3/16 aluminum plate and a L drill bit which fit the gas check boolits perfectly.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    All the washers I bought were thick and all my 223's and 30's to sit way down in...almost to the top of the GC neck. I guess different areas stock different brands of stuff.

A few may fall over if I would trip and stumble!!!!! But normal traversing from my spray Workmate to the oven is a no-spill operation.

Good luck. And try the long-cure JB as el34 suggested......amazing stuff (and member!).

banger

I know you guys touched on lead hardness briefly a few pages back, but I was able to grab some lead that was collected from the gun range (pretty soft lead lead mostly recovered from jacketed bullets) and was wondering if powder coating this would be sufficient enough, or should I ad tin to the lead to harden it up a bit? I am going to cast it for .38 special and .45ACP.

Thanks,
    Greg

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'm shooting range lead in my .357 and .45LC, so you are in business!
    Coat and shoot!

Shooting soft lead in handguns was my main reason for getting into PC.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Shooting soft lead in handguns was my main reason for getting into PC.
    That and that designer speckledy thing

Boolit Grand Master

I tell ya.... put a level teaspoon of Kawasaki Green in the HF jar with an inch and a half of any color and it's just amazing what it'll do!

Last edited by Beagle333; 01-10-2014 at 12:06 AM.

I tell ya.... put a level teaspoon of Kawasaki Green in the HF jar with an inch and a half of any color and it's just amazing what it'll do!

You're just having too much fun. Someday you'll get serious about making real boolits, you know, unpretty ones.

Boolit Master

It isn't a problem mixing polyester powder with the HF epoxy powder when it comes to baking? The few polyester powders I tried had lower baking temps.

Thanks guys

Boolit Master

I bought this regulator:

http://www.harborfreight.com/brass-a...tor-68220.html

But haven't used it yet, my little tank has a built-in regulator and it works well enough.

I went to the hardware store the other day, then had a 200-pack of 6-32 nuts for something less than $5 after tax. Now I have to cast some more bullets so I'll have something to coat. I've already experimented on every unlubed bullet I had.

Boolit Grand Master

@Maximumbob54: The candy coating colors that I have used needed a lower temp. The Kawasaki green did really well at the 400 and mixed well with everything I use. I would just test a small batch at first, instead of having to re-cast a whole tray of boolits.

Note: I have not tried the green mixed in the clearer candy coats. 'Mostly with blues/darker greens.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    You're just having too much fun. Someday you'll get serious about making real boolits, you know, unpretty ones.
    Now that is the smooth finish I have been talking about! No matter what color, PD should cover and look like that.

Thanks for posting. I will try to get some "intimate" photos of some of my different cals & colors this weekend and throw them up here. Got a big gun show to go to Sat.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    That is NOT a regulator! That is a flow control valve..........just like the one on the handle of the gun.

The one you want is the one with the pressure gauge and big black know with 1/4" NPT connections, not the one for an air spray gun.

http://www.harborfreight.com/150-psi...uge-68223.html

Note it says "regulator" in the descriptions 0-150#. It is a REAL regulator with the diaphragm, orifice, and pressure sensing port (all internal) to control downstream pressure exactly where you set it.

banger

Boolit Master

If you want more precise control of your pressure than the air regulators from Harbor Freight, it is pretty easy to adapt an acetylene or CO2 regulator for use with an air system. If you really need to get accurate low pressures, these will work better since the scale often only goes up to 30 psi full deflection anyway. The various input and output ports on the regulators can usually be unscrewed and the regulator body then has a female NPT thread that you can adapt to using the quick-connect air hose fittings.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Master
    Even better is a two-stage or dual-stage regulator. They maintain a much more consistent delivery pressure when the supply pressure fluctuates. High quality ones are relatively cheap on ebay too.

Moderator Emeritus

That Harbor Freight regulator is actually out of stock. I had ordered it with the pc machine and paint and they "refunded" that. When I called and complained, they said has been out of stock since the 1st when I ordered and have not updated the web site. I am going to try my local HF if I can get out that way.
    Last edited by MrWolf; 01-11-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Page 93 of 130 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast