RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 54 of 130 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

AJ, The mirror black and chrome are the same color's I selected for myself, along with the red of course. They look good. Pink looks good also, although I still say it 'taint natural. As for Sbeatty1983's problem, ha!, join the crowd dude.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Macfan - I pin the noses, not the bases, they are FN. Base would work as well but as some will be GC coated I chose the nose. Don't bother with the HF pins, they are too weak...
    Good stuff popper, thank you. Are you using 18 or 23 gauge pins?

Boolit Mold
    Hello Everyone! New to being a member here but not new to the page. I've been coming here for a couple years to gather info but most recently my face has been glued to this thread. LUCKY ME! I already had the HF PC machine and equipment. I saw somebody post a question about PC'ing a rifle bullet and a gas check after a coat and then sized. Gave it a whirl and got pretty good results (not bad for a first try). Went ahead with a .309 165gr RN and to me are perfect! Im pretty interested in future results in higher velocity calibers. Cant wait to see whats in store. (going to work tomorrow and building a coating jig).....RESULTS!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.308.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	73722

(Note: Center projectile gas check was never seated...overly excited I suppose.)
    Last edited by Philly 117; 06-16-2013 at 12:39 PM.

My turn.....

A small test batch of three weights of .45's.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Boolit Mold
    Those look pretty dang good!

PC family line-up.....

Harbour Freight kit and flat black powder coat....

170gr .30-30 Winchester - Lyman 311041 GC
    350gr .45 Colt - Mihec 460122 GCHP
    310gr .45 Colt - Mihec 462 Hammer GCHP
    215gr .38 Special - Lyman 358627 GC
    155gr 10mm - Mihec 401-160 HP
    155gr .40S&W - same as above

...and last but not least, The Beasties - 540gr .45/70 - Lyman 462560 GC.
    These are trimmed "Marlin length"

It was a really rushed test. I only had 15 minutes before the range shut down, but everything worked as it should. I couldn't test the .30-30 because I forgot the bloody gun!!!! Oh well, next time. I still have to check the bores for "remnants", but I'm happy with the results, so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Thank you, Sir!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philly 117 View Post
    Those look pretty dang good!

23 gauge pins. Looked at the bbls yesterday but didn't get to cleaning. Nice & shiny, no left over powder gains.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Tried some powder coat vs some home plated in 7.62x54R shooting a cast 160 gn wheel weight bullet. I started out with low loads (37 gns I3031) with the PCs, but the shots were all over the place. I started out with the same load for the plated and 37 gns shot about 1 inch at 50 yards and got progressively worse up the ladder. I will build another ladder starting around 32 gns for both the PC and plated and see if they hold a pattern better. I knew I would have to slow the hand cast down, so I did not waste a lot of bullets trying the first ladder.

I did shoot 5 Hornady 150gn bullets in the same hole using 42.4 gn I3031 but it was at 50 yards. Ordered a GemPro 500 that weighs in smaller increments than tenths of a grain, so now I will see how well I can work up a load for the Hornady around the 42.4 gns with sorted matched cases and bullets. Next trip will be shooting at 100 yds. It will be neat if I can keep <1 moa with a rifle built in 1943.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
    Here are a few I made for the wife. I added some smoke effects to the one pic.

Attachment 73617Attachment 73616Attachment 73615Attachment 73614Attachment 73618
    Yeppers! Jihadi lipstick is becoming available in more brilliant colors. They choose the color, and application is free!

Boolit Mold
    wiederladerTv posted his method of how he colored his bullets in large batches using a tumbling technique on youtube. He calls it the MCC boolits. I still think for small batches PC is the way to go for coloring boolits, but for those who might want to make large batches, you might find this useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiFxAPtx4c0
    Last edited by joemoe; 06-18-2013 at 06:34 AM.

Yeppers! Jihadi lipstick is becoming available in more brilliant colors. They choose the color, and application is free
    I'll second that mate.
    Cleaned the AR - 308 this morning. Shouldn't have bothered, it's clean with just a little powder residue. BCG was clean too. Some have complained about the HF powder but it's working for me. I may try something else in a yr or so when I run out of this stuff. Pinned a bunch in 5 min yesterday and GC another bunch to do today (308). Did some 40's, works just like rifle. I'll be coating and cooking next week so I'll toss them in to see how they do vs the nose on foil I've been doing. Got 2 16 oz peanut jars coated to load, 2 jars loaded so no hurry there.
    Ok, pics of my pinning rig, not much to it. Blue board keeps them on the bench & off the floor.
    Attachment 73915Attachment 73916Attachment 73917
    those are the 308s.
    Last edited by popper; 06-18-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    Have a quick question I bought the powder coat machine from harbor tool bought black and red powders, I tried the red last night and when I cooked it and pulled out of the oven they were BROWN, anyone know why??

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gimling View Post
    Have a quick question I bought the powder coat machine from harbor tool bought black and red powders, I tried the red last night and when I cooked it and pulled out of the oven they were BROWN, anyone know why??
    Too much heat or baked it too long most likely. I had a batch of mine turned brown and partially melted once.

Quote Originally Posted by gimling View Post
    Did you follow the time and temp directions on the container? And, if so, are you certain that your oven's temp gauge is correct?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have found if you run over 400 (430 in fact) they will turn a red-brown color. I think it looks better than the "lipstick" red & brass combo! I add a little black to my red powder to tone it down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I'll second that mate.
    Cleaned the AR - 308 this morning. Shouldn't have bothered, it's clean with just a little powder residue. BCG was clean too. Some have complained about the HF powder but it's working for me. I may try something else in a yr or so when I run out of this stuff. Pinned a bunch in 5 min yesterday and GC another bunch to do today (308). Did some 40's, works just like rifle. I'll be coating and cooking next week so I'll toss them in to see how they do vs the nose on foil I've been doing. Got 2 16 oz peanut jars coated to load, 2 jars loaded so no hurry there.
    Ok, pics of my pinning rig, not much to it. Blue board keeps them on the bench & off the floor.
    Attachment 73915Attachment 73916Attachment 73917
    those are the 308s.
    So you stick a boolit into the black gas pipe, nose pointing towards you, push nail gun up next to boolit, hit the trigger, boolit goes shooting out the other end of the pipe, flies into towel, rolls downhill, and stops when it hits the old campaign sign???

Then you cover a piece of cardboard with that non stick foil made my Reynolds, then push the boolit's nail tip through the foil and into the cardboard, then spray with the powder coating gun, then stick in the oven???

the cardboard doesn't burn or char???

EDIT: what do you do with the pin once the powder coating is baked on?

Boolit Master
    If I could jump in here a second,

A friend has powder coated some 100g .312 Lee plain base boolits for me. I have a 1/14 twist 30/30 barrel on my contender and its only job is a range toy. I wonder how fast this powder coating will let me push these things?
    The gun and the cartridge will let me push a 100g boolit pretty darn fast.
    I haven't decided where to start just yet but I'll work up from around 20g of RX7.

Any thoughts on that?

About right Russel. Pipe is actually PVC. Glue 2 corr. cardboard together to get enough 'height' to keep the pins & CBs upright. Doesn't scorch or burn. You have to put holes in the cardboard before inserting CBs. It is reuseable. Place this on a foil coated steel plate, grounded. The foil doesn't get coated so the regular will work. I clip the pin off flush. I did layer the foil & cardboard, but not really needed. I tried setting the base on steel and nailing the nose - you get to chase them a ways. The gun bounces and the pins get bent, more so. Most of the bent pins I get are from ricochets. They do still bounce quite a bit. There is a soft rubber pad behind the towel. After I get this batch coated I may tinker a bit, but it works.
    Dean - sounds like a good test. My PB are 180 gr 1:10 so you will get much higher fps.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I have found if you run over 400 (430 in fact) they will turn a red-brown color. I think it looks better than the "lipstick" red & brass combo! I add a little black to my red powder to tone it down a bit.
    So you don't like my Jihadi Lipstick?

Page 54 of 130 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104 ... LastLast