PBcastcoReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 130 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Banned

i'd use acetone.

Re: Powder Coating Boolits

I have been powder coating bullets for 308 Winchester. I size to 308, powder coat, and then size to 309. initial sizing is performed with case lube as a lubricant through a Lee push through size die. then I use dish detergent and water to wash them, and rinse several times. then when they are completely dry, I powdercoat, bake, and then use a Lee push through sizer to size to 309 using no lubricant.
    my alloy this far has been wheel weights with 2 percent tin. after shooting several dozen, my boar actually appears to be cleaner than when I started. so far the only downside I have seen is I have not been able to exceed 3 moa.
    I recently cast some more bullets out of 50/50 wheel weights and Lino type. once I get them coated loaded and fired I will post my results.
    Last edited by olaf455; 11-21-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Boolit Buddy
    Well I could not take it anymore , just ordered a 300 blk parts kit. I can't wait to try powder coating bullets for it!

Boolit Master
    DUH, HUH, WHAT? Where have I been? I knew they had plastic coated bullets, but didn't know you could brew your own at home! Where can I learn the process?
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Bub
    Wallenba, Im gonna powder coat some tonight and take pics along the way. I will post them after I cook up some. I have the powder sitting right here on my desk and Im waiting on UPS to drop off the gun any minute. Im gonna powder coat them over a screen mesh so hopefully some of the powder will fall right through and not make the "fillet" at the bottom.

Boolit Bub
    Ok fellas, here is my bag of flat black powder coat and my gun. The gun's handle was broke but for thirty bucks with free shipping I am just gonna tape it up and enjoy!!

Boolit Master

great thread.

i have a powder coating set up that i have only used few times. i think i'll be powder coating boolits tonight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Cured powder coated lead is tougher than woodpecker lips. I have actually smashed large coated jighead totally flat without splitting/cracking the coating. My coating was pro-tec powder paint for fishin lurs.

I personally do not see a problem with the heat for curing as I believe anything a bit harder than pure lead will survive well even at J-word speeds. But I confess to not actually giving it a thorough testing as my application method sucked. I will look into the spray gun and give it a whirl at full throttle someday as this issue will not quite leave the ol grey matter. For right now though gun seasaon beckons me.
    Mike, I've got a few of these here at the house if you wanted to try some out. I'm in the same boat as you though waiting out rifle season. As soon as season is over I'm going to load up some of the 312-155-2R's that Ken was gracious enough to coat for me to test. The boolits are ACWW and will be tried with and without gas checks.

Stay tuned.

Boolit Bub
    We guys I powdered some boolits last night, I believe they came out great for my first attempt!! I even hammered one flat after coating....the finish didn't even think of chipping or coming off.

[url=http://postimage.org/image/5v4rjeapb/][/url
    Last edited by wwboolitmaker; 11-22-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    You should try other colors. I took bright red ones to a local IDPA match and got a lot of funny looks.

Boolit Bub
    Thats the only color I got for now....I bought the flat black for the 230 gr 300aac bullets

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wwboolitmaker View Post
    We guys I powdered some boolits last night, I believe they came out great for my first attempt!! I even hammered one flat after coating....the finish didn't even think of chipping or coming off.
    Awesome! Did you have any issues with the little "fillet" of powder coat (once cured) around the base, or getting them off the aluminum foil? They look great!

Just a suggestion (if you haven't already) but put the powder in a plastic jar (preferably a new one, not a used one.) Drop in one of those "do not eat" silica gel packets to keep the powder dry, otherwise it will cake up and be useless unless you sift it. I found some nice plastic jars at the hobby store (Hobby Lobby) for $2 or so.

Boolit Bub
    Ken73 thanks!! I had a little fillet on some...just gonna take some 320 grit sandpaper and spin the end of the bullet on it to remove it. Everyone is thinking its so much work to do...its really not. I could coat 30 bullets in about 2 minutes. Thanks for the tip on the preserving the powder, I didn't even think about that. The flat black looks mean!!!

Boolit Buddy
    You do have a point, they do look cool in a stealth fighter kind of way!

Boolit Buddy
    Wonder if you can powder coat without the. Gun, much like a dip into tumble lube and only coating the bearing surfaces? I powder coat jigs and buzz baits using a heat gun and for those who want to try this, I bet this technique would work. Maybe I will give it a try....I wonder too if some colors work better than others and I suspect the ones with glitter would introduce an abrasive that wouldn't be good...interesting thread.

Boolit Bub
    Tonto I think it would be too thick but it is def worth a shot. When you use the gun it doesn't build up much. All mold lines are still clearly evident after applying and baking.
    Last edited by wwboolitmaker; 11-22-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried that coating was clumpy, and I could not achieve good results. It is worth a shot though.

Re: Powder Coating Boolits

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Wonder if you can powder coat without the. Gun, much like a dip into tumble lube and only coating the bearing surfaces? I powder coat jigs and buzz baits using a heat gun and for those who want to try this, I bet this technique would work. Maybe I will give it a try....I wonder too if some colors work better than others and I suspect the ones with glitter would introduce an abrasive that wouldn't be good...interesting thread.
    This was tried on another thread, it was impossible to get a uniform thickness of the powder coat.
    I have tried powder by the pound's liquid to powder and an airbrush, also difficult to get a uniform coating.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken73 View Post
    Awesome! Did you have any issues with the little "fillet" of powder coat (once cured) around the base, or getting them off the aluminum foil? They look great!

Just a suggestion (if you haven't already) but put the powder in a plastic jar (preferably a new one, not a used one.) Drop in one of those "do not eat" silica gel packets to keep the powder dry, otherwise it will cake up and be useless unless you sift it. I found some nice plastic jars at the hobby store (Hobby Lobby) for $2 or so.
    How do your boolits shoot?? Haven't had a chance to load any of mine yet. Im anxious to shoot some and recover them so I can inspect them. I really have high hopes for this!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wwboolitmaker View Post
    How do your boolits shoot?? Haven't had a chance to load any of mine yet. Im anxious to shoot some and recover them so I can inspect them. I really have high hopes for this!!
    So far I had some function checks I had to do; the first ones I cast had some serious issues, which turned out to mostly be the follower in my magazine tilting (apparently I grabbed the only mag in my set that didn't have an anti-tilt follower.) I got that fixed but haven't had time to test. I'm going to try shoot some this week though.

What few I've shot (around 50 or so?) I've shot at a steel target and I'm easily able to nail it at 50 yards. No leading, nothing left in the barrel.

I've got about 25 loaded up that I wanted to send over the chrono to see how well they work.

Page 2 of 130 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast