Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 14 of 130 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Man
    So what about PCing boolits for .223? If you coated them nose first in the tray and got the bases done well, might it be possible to shoot them in an AR with no gas checks?

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Why restrict the 22 to ARs as there are many members here with 5-10 guns in 22 caliber that could benefit with that information?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    Ok, I'm in. Even if things don't work out for higher velocity rifle rounds it works in 300 blk and I shoot a lot of pistol rounds so it will be worth it.

Ordered the Harbor Freight gun and a couple pounds of powder. A buddy of mine is going to set up a plate for the toaster oven and pitch in on powder to help offset the cost of the gun.

I still have to load up a few full velocity test rounds for the 308 so stay tuned. As soon as this brutal cold front moves out I should be able to make it back out to the range for some more shooting. Stay tuned.

Boolit Grand Master

I read in the instructions with the HF powder coater that the pc can be removed with paint stripper. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking if it does work it would be a way to clean the metal plate after many uses.

Boolit Buddy
    This may be the answer I have been looking for. My brother has a garand he is hesitant about shooting cast. We are just looking for 100~200 yard plinking rounds and if the PC can stand enough pressure to cycle properly and be somewhat accurate, this will be just the ticket.

Boolit Grand Master

Just hang around a little longer and someone will have your answer.

Be patient tho as many here are looking at -0 temps at the range. Not sure I would take those answers as the final word.

How will things work if you live in Southern Az at 120 for the high of the day?

Boolit Buddy
    Yea, I'm one of the ones suffering through 0 degree temps. Bro has a couple hundred rounds left for the garand, so no hurry.

Boolit Mold
    This thread sure has been interesting. Thanks to all of you who have contributed! You have gotten me hooked on the idea I'm going to head out tonight and get a small toaster oven to see for myself how PC will work. Main application for now is 300blk and I'd like to try 45 Colt too. Should be a fun new twist on finishing off the boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

Now you see why CASTBOOLITS is the best site in the universe.

Is anyone testing the ability to shoot soft lead in high pressure guns (like 9mm or .40) when PC'ed?

Boolit Grand Master

IIRC about 1/2 of the folks are planning to work with that caliber and report back WHEN IT IS WARM ENOUGH to do so.

Boolit Master

Just loaded some PC 120 gr. 9mm with 4.3 gr. Titegroup in soft lead. Waiting for the rain to let up before I venture out to the range. I will let you know the result as soon as posssible.

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot soft lead out of my 5" 9mm that was powder coated. Worked fine. Velocity was about 1100 fps. Just got a NOE 55 grain mold, can't wait to try powder coating those.

Boolit Grand Master

I hit the internet looking for spare cartridges for the Craftsman gun. Short of evil bay all I found was an outfit that SUPPOSEDLY made the guns for Craftsman.

ALSACORP

What a waste of time calling them. First call 7 minutes listening to ??? music before their phone disconnected me. Second call on hold for 10 minutes of musical water boarding tilll someone answered. "We no longer make or sell those guns". Well do you have any of the cartridges left and the price please was my question.

"We might and the price was about $25.00 a couple years ago".

No I did not waste any more time or minutes on my cell phone.

Let the search continue.

Boolit Buddy
    its plenty warm in Texas right now to try out rounds for anyone who wants to send me some 401's to try.. ill even spring for shipping.

Boolit Man
    Anyone having trouble with the Craftsman guns from Amazon showing up with cracked handgrips? I'm on my second one that showed up boogered.

Does anywhere else stock them? My air compressor is meant for nailguns and couldn't run the HF unit.
    Molds I have:
    Lee 457-340-F (.45-70 340gn)
    Lee TL452-230-2R (.45ACP 230gn)
    Lee TL356-124-2R (9mm/357Mag/38Spl 124gn)
    Lee C309-150-F (30-30, 7.62x39 150gn FNGC)
    Lee Key Drive 12ga 1oz Slug (12ga 438gn)
    RCBS 45-255-SWC (45LC/45Colt 255gr Keith)
    Lyman 429 244 (44Mag 255gn)
    Lyman 429 215 (44Mag 215gn)
    SkiesUnlimited #4Buck/#00Buck

Boolit Master
    The Harbor freight gun only uses 3.5CFM@30 PSI. The volume shouldn't be a problem for a small compressor.

I ordered a Harbor Freight gun so I wouldn't have to mess with finding cups for the Craftsman gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Rain has stopped, neck in good enough shape to do some work so maybe in the morning I can coat some boolits. I intend to do some for my 41mag and 30-06 to test some higher velocity loads. Also for the 3 special and 357.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Why restrict the 22 to ARs as there are many members here with 5-10 guns in 22 caliber that could benefit with that information?
    I'm interested in powder coating bullets, particularly .223/5.56 because I'm looking for alternatives for having to go and buy jacketed ammunition (if you want to shoot the caliber at any kind of speed without having the bullet vaporized). Part of this desire for alternatives comes from not wanting to drop 10-20 cents per bullet...Another reason is more from a survivalist standpoint... I'd like to decrease my reliance on being able to run to the store and pick up a box of bullets. I have a fairly sizable amount of lead piled up all ready to be cast into shootable goodness... .223/5.56? Only a small bag or two.

I believe you...but my Tommy gun don't.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jkpq45 View Post
    Anyone having trouble with the Craftsman guns from Amazon showing up with cracked handgrips? I'm on my second one that showed up boogered.

Does anywhere else stock them? My air compressor is meant for nailguns and couldn't run the HF unit.
    Mine showed up just fine, sounds like I got lucky. I hear of folks just wrapping theirs with electrical tape. Your air compressor should be plenty for the HF gun, it doesn't need a lot of SCFM at high PSI.

Page 14 of 130 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast