ID:	129650 some pcs I did last year.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    Idea of what I'm after,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423259586.218285.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	129737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423259597.819008.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	129738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423259604.669156.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	129739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423259613.911901.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	129740
    Hope for change.

Banned

I like that. Clear hulls are cool.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks,, the blue I just quickly shuck in the empty bag and tossed into the oven, it seemed to work good enough for the buck, it was a thin coat but I'm only doing this for looks/fun so,,,
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    Got my craftsman pc gun in and tested some shinny blue 45s and it worked really good, less of a mess. I did learn that I need to spend more time getting a thick coat though, next batch I'll probably double my spray time and put 4 scoops instead of two in the gun itself.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been checking out PCing bullets and it has a lot of advantages but the bottleneck in production is the oven capacity. I do mostly tactical handgun shooting and I cast up 1000 at a time. With a toaster sized oven that would be a lot of cycles. I could salvage an old range oven but that takes up a lot of space and has to be wired up to 220v - which all make the PC process a lot more bother than traditional lubing.

Is it possible to use my kitchen oven? I'm single but I don't want to poison anybody. I assume I'd have to take precautions not to contaminate it with PC.

I apologize if this question has already been discussed. I haven't yet read all 114 pages of this thread.

Thanks
    ..still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. / Marcus Aurelius.

Reloading 357mag, 38Sp, 9mm, 380acp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by meshugunner View Post
    I could salvage an old range oven but that takes up a lot of space and has to be wired up to 220v - which all make the PC process a lot more bother than traditional lubing.

Is it possible to use my kitchen oven? I'm single but I don't want to poison anybody. I assume I'd have to take precautions not to contaminate it with PC.
    Considering the fumes that are given off and how some people don't even want to do it in a toaster oven inside the house, you probably don't want to do it in your regular oven unless you and future owners of the house NEVER plan on using the oven for food.

I periodically see people throwing away old ovens when they remodel their kitchens. Sometimes they list them for free on Craigslist. If you can find a double oven and install it in your garage, you could probably increase your throughput quite a bit.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Buddy
    I've been checking out PCing bullets and it has a lot of advantages but the bottleneck in production is the oven capacity. I do mostly tactical handgun shooting and I cast up 1000 at a time. With a toaster sized oven that would be a lot of cycles. I could salvage an old range oven but that takes up a lot of space and has to be wired up to 220v - which all make the PC process a lot more bother than traditional lubing.

I apologize if this question has already been discussed. I haven't yet read all 114 pages of this thread.

Thanks

I have a table top convection oven that I can get 3 racks in, that's a total of 612 every 20 minutes. Approx 1800 per hour with 6 racks. Seems to be fast enough for me.

Boolit Buddy
    john,

Thanks. 600 per batch would be an acceptable rate for me too. It's not so much the time to cook as it is the number of cycles.

Do you have a link or specs for something like your oven
    ..still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. / Marcus Aurelius.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Thanks
    This is a good read, but be sure to read post #93 too.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ght=oven+fumes
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    john,

Thanks. 600 per batch would be an acceptable rate for me too. It's not so much the time to cook as it is the number of cycles.

Do you have a link or specs for something like your oven
    A picture of one of my racks

Name:	IMG_0167.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	130425

and the wood plank that I load them with

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	130429

It is a Toastmaster Convection oven that I have had for 15 years, the racks are 10" X 15" made of wire which I cover with aluminum screen wire. Put the boolits nose down in the wood plank, invert over the rack and shoot with ESPC gun then bake.
    The oven holds 3 racks at a time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ipijohn View Post
    I have a table top convection oven that I can get 3 racks in, that's a total of 612 every 20 minutes. Approx 1800 per hour with 6 racks. Seems to be fast enough for me.
    I've wondered if one of the glass bowl type convection ovens could possibly be used as a starting point to designing an even larger convection oven for powdercoating.

This is the type of oven I'm talking about:

Replace the glass bowl with an steel tube that was a bit taller, possibly insulating it. The top of the tube would need to have an opening the same size as the glass top and heat/fan unit that currently sits on the product's glass bowl.

Something like the extension tube on this model's:

Last edited by NavyVet1959; 02-12-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Beagle, thanks for that link. I haven't yet read it all but I will. I'm not sure I completely agree with the philosophy in post #93 - life involves taking risks and fun often involves unnecessary risk. After all I do drive my truck down to the range. But the post describing how the inside of an oven had turned red from the PC was pretty darn convincing. Kitchen oven = bad idea. Got it

John thanks for the additional info and pix of your racks. I think that will be useful. I will look for something of similar dimensions.

Boolit Buddy

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423785334.702498.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	130557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423785346.128323.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	130558 got some blue ones loaded.. Going to test callosity differences between regular and the PCs from today, I used the same powder/weight and picked cast/PC bullets that weighed out the same,, should be interesting and fun lol.
    Hope for change.

IKA that is so cool. I may get some white and start loading my revolver red white red white. etc. We left the blue off our flag.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    Beagle, thanks for that link. I haven't yet read it all but I will. I'm not sure I completely agree with the philosophy in post #93 - life involves taking risks and fun often involves unnecessary risk. After all I do drive my truck down to the range. But the post describing how the inside of an oven had turned red from the PC was pretty darn convincing. Kitchen oven = bad idea. Got it

John thanks for the additional info and pix of your racks. I think that will be useful. I will look for something of similar dimensions.
    I read somewhere last year that the fumes will stay in the oven and could poison food, I wouldn't risk it. The ovens I use are pretty nasty from doing this.. And fyi they have a 3 rack oven at Walmart for around 100 bucks, it's pretty big I get 13 strands with 16 45acp per a stran Xs 3 o that's around 624 per cook. It would be cool to have a dedicated big stove though lol.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    IKA that is so cool. I may get some white and start loading my revolver red white red white. etc. We left the blue off our flag.

Take Care

Bob
    Thanks! I've got these started finally,

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423793491.991360.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	130573

The owner of a supply shop gave me some white wads the right height so today I loaded them up and had better results,

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423793595.139267.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	130575
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    They are to terrorists what silver bullets are to vampires!
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy

Powder Coating Boolits

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=231257333359
    Red pc 50#s $52.50.. **** I didn't see he wants 60.00 to ship ********. Still a good price though that's a lot of bullets!!
    Hope for change.

Page 114 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1464104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124 ... LastLast