MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Mold
    Well, I don't post much cause I'm still learning, and believe I just don't have that much to offer the group since I'm pretty new to casting. But, I have made it through the first 100 pages, and one topic that I've seen repeatedly is the search for a powder source other than HF or powder buy the pound that is both cost effective and doesn't require a 50 pound purchase.

I think I might have found one, and haven't seen them mentioned in the first hundred pages - Prismatic Powders. On their home page, they have a tab for discontinued, overstock, and discounted powders. Most are priced at $3.99 per pound, and they have quite a few colors to choose from. I thought shipping was reasonable as well for multiple pounds, but it makes the price of one pound around $15. ($4 for the powder and $11 for shipping). I ordered several pounds to spread out the shipping cost. Shipping didn't really change whether ordering 1 pound or 5 pounds.

Can't wait to try out my first PC bullets over the holidays - I'm also waiting on my HF PC gun, as well, but for now Im going to go back and finish reading the last 13 pages of this thread.

Also, thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

Boolit Mold
    Just realized that was my first post! Didn't realize how much I was exaggerating stating that "I don't post much"!

Can you believe this bilge water!?! It's 39º and 90% humidity here...

(welcome to the madness, Gravelyctry)

Boolit Buddy
    Prismatic Powders is "good", but they only use UPS and FedEx, and both of those shippers screw Alaskans, so no soap down that path. Anyone have any other suggestions for powder suppliers that are willing to use the USPS?

Thanks,
    Paul

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gitano View Post
    Prismatic Powders is "good", but they only use UPS and FedEx, and both of those shippers screw Alaskans, so no soap down that path. Anyone have any other suggestions for powder suppliers that are willing to use the USPS?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Check the swapping and selling section here on this site. There's a member that sells powder and ships via USPS. His name is Smoke4320 if I recall correctly.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Man
    Giving a "gift".... A day at the range. Works great for me and my buds. Getting these ready to "give".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419395133.711339.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	125156

Boolit Buddy
    My wife went out to Oregano last week to visit the kids and grand kids in Medford, when she came back she had bought 11 pounds of powder at Prismatic. The powder arrived today, she did good. I think I have enough powder to last me a few years.

Boolit Mold
    of all the guys using the HF gun, have any of you had issues with the gun shooting the powder inconsistantly? tried my first batch last night and they came out OK, but the gun seemed to blow very little powder and then would spit out like a stream of powder. to coat my boolits I had to use what I feel like was an excessive amount of powder. anyone have a fix for this?

Vendor Sponsor

vyel8ers
    heavier powders like HF need to be agitated a little while spraying.. IE hold the Spray cup in one hand and gently shake the sprayer up and down a little... Not hard just enough to breakup any caking/sticking together.. Also remove the Round yellow disc screwed into the tip . Your gun will spray better at the 5-10 LBS air pressure..
    Also if you hold the sprayer over the bullets and spray downward at about a 45 degree angle .. it lets the powder fall and be attracted to the bullets better than trying to blow the powder on from a 90 degree angle
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes, I agree with Smoke......you need to keep the fluidized bed action working in the HF cup. I gently bang it against my left palm while spraying. GENTLY!!!!!!! That keeps the powder bed liquid and moving so the air can shove it down the gun. Otherwise you will get fast/slow, heavy/light clumps of powder coming out the end.

I have always spraed at ~45 degree angle from all sides. AND space boolits at 3/4" to allow the static to get the powder down in between the rows.

banger

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I have always spraed at ~45 degree angle from all sides. AND space boolits at 3/4" to allow the static to get the powder down in between the rows.

banger
    I do the same .. Start in the front of the first row then back and forth between rows the finish off by going around the outsides
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    Get a small screen flour sifter and sift the powder (fluff it up) just prior to putting it into your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by gitano View Post

Thanks,
    Paul
    Hey Paul I live just south of you, more or less, in Terrace. I ordered from Powder by the Pound and they ship USPS. Good people to deal with. Prices are high though or at least higher than Harbour Freight. HF uses USPS as well I believe.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    Well I had to order a new pc gun, I've been going through all my gear over the last week and it looks like the hf gun got broken in half with everyone putting my wife's stuff (in totes) in the garage, I'm going to try the craftsman little gun out and see how it works, I got one on eBay for 60.00. Any new discoveries over the last year? Also next week I'm going to shoot 100 pc 452s and 100 non-pc and compare the barrel with the kimber eclipse. I did some casting and loading yesterday and think I'm ready to get ocd on it all again lol.. How's everyone been?
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a crapload of loaded pcs, thousands lol. Even more non-pc
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    Alright, today I'm going to clean 2 barrels in 2 1911s and shoot 100 casts in one and 100 cast pcs in the other and compare the barrels afterwards. I also ordered some red pc to make my red-white-blue buckshot in clear hulls lol. Hopefully I can load those up next week
    Hope for change.

I alternate tapping the barrel & jug on the HF gun. You should be getting a swirl in the jug and a whirling sound. I cap the end of the barrel between uses to keep humidity out of the powder. Got a battery powdered massage vibrator that kinda broke so I'm thinking of taping it to the jug.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I finished the project today, the pc won the comp, that barrel was way easier to clean and was less dirty as well,
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up a new stove today

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423179423.639413.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	129647

Fasted and rigged up some buckshot

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423179506.702031.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	129648

No I'm just waiting for my blue blue then going to load my red white and blue buck in these,

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423179596.231437.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	129649

Should be fun!
    Hope for change.

Page 113 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1363103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123 ... LastLast