Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 11 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Man
    I may have to say f it and try this. Even if I don't shoot them wold still look neat lol. I have so cool colors in stock so why not. If i do it I will post pics up for u guys

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Speaking of KOOL colors. How about glow in the dark?

Years ago I bought MANY colors of powder to coat fishing lures for my son. Most have never been touched. I found out he likes to say I have bit never enjoys using anything. Just possession made him happy. Now dad will have fun.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Speaking of KOOL colors. How about glow in the dark?
    Poor man's tracers?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by S. Galbraith View Post
    Poor man's tracers?
    Years ago I coated the house and car door keys with glow paint. Sure helps an old man find the correct keys.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone tried powder coating solid bullets without the lube grooves, by having the mold re-machined to remove the grooves or are the grooves needed when powder coated?
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Boolit Bub
    Well guys I reloaded my first few boolits and suprise suprise they were powder coated. They are 240 grain swc's over 10 grains of unique. Dont know accuracy or speed yet but they sure do look pretty!

Boolit Buddy
    they look good! keep us posted on how they shoot. ive got everything to start making PC bullets, just waiting to finish my new reloading room.

Boolit Bub
    Bullets shot great! Haven't got to do a bench rest group but loose rest groups were good. I cleaned the bore before I did any shooting so i could close monitor leading. When i got done shooting 15 or so rounds the bore is actually cleaner than it was before i started. No leading or fouling at all. These are ww lead with 10 grains of unique behind a 240 grain swc sized to .429.

Last edited by wwboolitmaker; 01-12-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Which color worked best?

Quote Originally Posted by xyankeeworkshop View Post
    The first guy to figure out how to balance a lead round nose on the pointy end of a nail long enough to coat and bake it wins 16 Trillion internet points. Make me proud!
    *Very late response but maybe still useful to someone*

Clay. Get a little marble sized piece of clay , plop it on the tray, stick bullet point in. This will hold your bullet in place, and ceramic does just fine in an oven. You folks looking for a way to make it so the tip is not covered, for hunting, might also find this an attractive idea. For the whole bullet just flip it over and coat the tip.
    Last edited by jabilli; 01-12-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    I believe you...but my Tommy gun don't.

Internet points....How do those convert? 1 Trillion= about 1/10th of a cent right? :-p
    I believe you...but my Tommy gun don't.

"pointy end of a nail" .... so would would hp's have the edge on this process ?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jabilli View Post
    *Very late response but maybe still useful to someone*

Clay. Get a little marble sized piece of clay , plop it on the tray, stick bullet point in. This will hold your bullet in place, and ceramic does just fine in an oven. You folks looking for a way to make it so the tip is not covered, for hunting, might also find this an attractive idea.
    We can give you an "E" for effort. It needs to conduct electricity for it to work. I'm working on powder coating some hollow points now.

Boolit Grand Master

Just a thought.

Take some bread dough roll it flat and cover it with foil. put boolits to preferred depth in the foil connect lead and spray.

Now place in oven and cook till done.

Remove from oven pick up your colored boolits. save the charcoal (bread burned to a T) FOR FLUXING

a REAL RE CYCLE project.

Boolit Bub

Slow method

Any try this method yet, 1/16 welding wire, plan to PC in a masking shroud to keep over spray off wire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 039.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Here is the base of a hollow point coated.

Here is the nose

Boolit Man
    Finally got a chance to do some more experimenting with PCPb boolits thru the Glock 17 yesterday. Upthread I had reported that my 125 grain Lee tumble lubers were keyholing badly sized to .357 and charged with 4.4 grains of HP38.

I loaded up a couple batches of powdercoated but unsized 125gr TL 9mm's with 3.8 and 4.0 grains and had good success with both. No keyholes, low smoke, and a nice clean bore. Accuracy seemed ok but, as I'm still trying to make friends with the Glock, I need to work with that a bit more. I'll need to get a chrony set up to check speed at some point as well.

Boolit Man
    Mechanic,

My method for holding a tray of boolits for 100% coating is kind of like your picture - basically welded wire mesh snipped and bent to create prongs that grab the boolit nose and hold them base up. The problem has become, over several batches, the wire getting coated to the point it no longer conducts electricity to the boolits. As much of a pain as it was to fabricate the jig, I'm not sure I want to have to keep making them all the time just to get 100% powder coverage. Besides, transporting 100 boolits back and forth to the oven without one or seven falling over is a real challenge.

I think the next try may just be a 1/4" slab of MDF drilled to accept the boolit noses and only leave the grooves exposed for coating. A sheet of aluminum foil below the MDF will contact the tip of the noses for conductivity. Hopefully after the hot MDF takes a coat or two of powder it'll stop taking much more and I can gently blow off a lot of the overspray on the MDF before baking. After that I may just sand the top of the jig to keep the buildup to a minimum.

Boolit Bub

Semi slow method

Single strand of a fine copper wire soldered to the base of the boolit wire dia. .005 in. A little time consuming, next casting session going to try a wire in the mold out the nose of the boolit, will have to scribe a fine line in the mold to keep it from ovaling the cavity. As wwboolitmaker has shown hollow points are by design less problematic, I think my 45acp is going on a hollow point diet!!! Maybe the subsonics on the 300 Blackout also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boolit.jpg  
    Last edited by machanic; 01-14-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Boolit Bub
    exyankeeworkshop, have you tried a release agent on the wire to keep the PC from adhering, was wondering if it would help or if it would migrate under the powder during heating and cause adhesion problems on the boolit.

Page 11 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast