Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 103 of 130 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Bub
    Just did 3 small batches (about 80 each)of HF tumble PC. The first, yellow tumble coat and dump on shelf to bake. I can never get the bullets to not stick together even when taken right out of the oven and shaken. The next two batches, white and red , I tumbled then used a vinyl glove to take them out of the container and place them on parchment paper to bake. They didn't loose any PC and came out fine. Completely coated and not stuck together. They could use a second coat for looks but are fully coated and just to send down range will work fine with this one coat.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet pc white.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	98002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet pc 3 runs.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	98003

Boolit Buddy
    Tested them today, worked well it's still raining hard so no chroney or paper. I did dig out the bullets the one on the left was the 38 wc and right a 40 hp
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393516010.803828.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	98026

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393516036.819577.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	98027
    Hope for change.

Boolit Bub
    lka,
    What type of wire are you using to tie up your bullets to spray them?
    Russs

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, Ok! I'll be the expert in charge. Now one thing first; it's my way or the highway. I will be the sole expert in charge and all posts must be IMed to me prior to posting, or emailed to me at selfappointedexpertwhodoesn'tknowjack@clueless.gov . If I think the proposed post is worthy of my forwarding it to the appropriate thread, it may or may not happen, depending on if I had my coffee yet. I will decide who can post directly (paypal $27.50 to Mike Isaac for status upgrades), and whose post hit the round can.

Thank you for your cooperation...

My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I tried sending an email for your approval at selfappointedexpertwhodoesn'tknowjack@clueless.gov , but it sent me to the whitehouse.

Boolit Buddy

Powder Coating Boolits

Quote Originally Posted by russs View Post
    lka,
    What type of wire are you using to tie up your bullets to spray them?
    Russs
    It's just regular tie wire you get from the hardware store, it comes in a little cardboard tube that you pull from the top. I use it to twist-tie bolts and parts that may fall off my trail bike, it super flexible. I'll edit this post later with a pic of it. I don't use the tie pliers for the bullets I just use regular pliers (needle nose) to hold the 2 pieces and twits the bullet by hand in the lube grove it's quicker then you'd think.

Then tie to the thingy

Edit,,
    I like the red, purdy bullets.

Looks nice in the hornady,
    Last edited by lka; 02-27-2014 at 07:03 PM.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Bub
    lka, how do you clean the wire frame after you do a bake ? It doesn't look like you have any PC buildup on the frame.

Boolit Master
    It looks like he puts a wire across the rows to give a ground to the strands.
    This way he clamps the ground wire to the cross wire, not to the frame.
    I like this idea lots.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Mabe this has been asked but .....just how much time does it take for you to wind and wire-up 100 boolits? Seem a bit labor intensive.

I just set about 60-70 of them out randomly on NS foil and use a ruler to align them quickly in rows and columns. Takes very little time. No nuts needed! They do NOT fall over. I use fender washers under foil for GC's on 223's and 30's and just stick them in.......fast.

I know.....I know.........the bottoms are not coated...THEY DO NOT NEED TO BE!!!!!!! If you are seeing gas cutting, use a GC boolit. PC on the bottom offers no protection. Grease lubed boolits offer no protection on the bottom.......FOR YEARS!

Please give an estimate of your time involved.

Thanks for posting new ideas!

banger

Boolit Buddy

Powder Coating Boolits

Yes the cross wire works for the ground, I do run a file along the back side of the rack before attaching, it just takes a couple passes to show shinny

The small rack holds 100 452s, a lot more .224s, 130 401s and about 150 358s. I'm about sold on buying a larger 2rack cooker.

I'm down to about 10 mins to rig up the rack, with a missing trigger finger :/ so it's not that time consuming but I did get a blister in a new place, probably because of my finger as I'm still recovering from the amputation. I found the trick is to hold the pliers still and twist the bullet three times and repeat.

Edit, I was planing on doing it a different way, it just happened I sat everything up and realized I didn't come up with an idea to ground the bullets, the wire was on my bench and I found myself doing this. I would assume there's no need for lower velocity bullets as the bottom doesn't need a coat but still I'll probably do it like this now-on.

And edit,

There is a buildup on the frame, this was the first time I used red, I was using black before
    Last edited by lka; 02-28-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to reply again,

Is anyone using this gun?
    http://youtu.be/yuZ6VK934fU
    Looks nice and small, note the kid is using the gun inside a house and not making a big mess, I guess they are cheap as well. No air compressor and good for smaller stuff..
    Hope for change.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lka View Post
    Sorry to reply again,

Looks nice and small, note the kid is using the gun inside a house and not making a big mess, I guess they are cheap as well. No air compressor and good for smaller stuff..
    I have read of numerous reports where it DOES NOT WORK well. You are better off with the $50 HF gun. Craftsman raised the price on that thing drastically.

I have the HF gun as do most on there that do the ESPC coating and it works perfectly, as long as YOU operate it correctly!!!!!!!

Again, I say..........EVERYBODY should have an air compressor!!!!!! Just to pump up tires!!!!!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to reply again,

I seem to be the only one that has that gun and has success with it. I do have an air compressor (and the HF gun) but prefer this one since it's light and very easy to use. I run it right in my office with very little overspray. Granted, I sealed mine off a little better with some foam and bought extra powder cups but I'm not sure why other people have so much trouble with them.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the HF gun and plenty of air compressors, this one just looked easier less stuff flying around.

Hey ken,
    How much powder does it hold?
    Also have youall seen the gold and chrome powders? I'm gonna need to try them two. the chrome looks real lol
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    Ordered a craftsman to mess with, less parts, no compressor, we will see. I'll keep the HF gun for other projects I have some jeep parts I want to coat.
    I'm also thinking about red white and blue buckshot in clear hulls.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to reply again,

I have one and it's on it's way back to the mfg. for a refund. Mine arrived quickly, and well packed. I read the instructions before I tried to use it (yes I did) and the next day attempted to coat some bullets. The first problem was the lid to the cup was very, very difficult to remove. After 4 or 5 tries I was able to get it off and dumped the Craftsman powder in the cup (the powder is the only part of the system/kit that is Craftsman. Very misleading ads). Reassembled unit, double checked everything and sprayed some 100 bullets. In the time it took to spray the bullets, mebbe 3 minutes, about a tablespoon of powder blew out the side of the gun and in and around the cup. Removed cup and cleaned up gun and tried again, thinking I had installed the cup wrong, with the same results. Apparently, there is no seal between the cup and the gun (cup inlet) and air and powder goes everywhere. Removing cup from gun was difficult also; slick sides of the cup made it doubly difficult to remove. On the third attempt to use the gun the cup lock broke off.

Perhaps the design/idea behind the faux "Craftsman" tool is good, but the unit is poorly made...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Bummer, lol.. Looks like I'll be forced to test it myself :/
    Hope for change.

Boolit Mold
    Watch the lock dial on the craftsman PC gun. Look at it wrong and it breaks off. I broke mine simply wiping down the gun and it popped right off. Although the extra stuff is needed such as a compressor for the HF gun it's worth it. The craftsman gun is just so fragile and you have to pay thru the nose for extra powder cans.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Ordered a craftsman to mess with, less parts, no compressor, we will see. I'll keep the HF gun for other projects I have some jeep parts I want to coat.
    I'm also thinking about red white and blue buckshot in clear hulls.

At least it will make a good anchor for your little model boat! HA........ha.

But seriously, give us a full report on the thing. All I have read were very poor. "Craftsman" is NOT what it was years ago. I always bought "C" tools and stuff back in the 70's. Now most of it is crapola made in China or relabeled junk. I have not even been a Sears tool section in over 5 years.

Looking forward to your info.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    At least it will make a good anchor for your little model boat! HA........ha.

But seriously, give us a full report on the thing. All I have read were very poor. "Craftsman" is NOT what it was years ago. I always bought "C" tools and stuff back in the 70's. Now most of it is crapola made in China or relabeled junk. I have not even been a Sears tool section in over 5 years.

Looking forward to your info.

banger
    Will do,, I started on my Patriot buckshot,

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393789379.780022.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	98348
    And for fun,

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393789407.978682.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	98349
    ----

I have an idea for a rack I'm going to try, I'll do the .224s first
    I'm going to get some lightweight hardware cloth, I'm thinking 1/4" and build square racks that will stack in the oven,, stretch the cloth over it (the lightweight stuff should stretch and tighten the holes) and push the .224s into the holes hopefully they will catch in the lube grove and stay in the screen. This would be quicker and I should be able to put a ton in the screen not to mention if I stacked them Into the oven. Not sure if it will work, I'll need to test it out. I could even wire it up myself criss-crossed to the right sizes.

Another idea, if you turn the oven upside down there's usually a lid that pops up for cleaning, if your oven is tall enough then the strains can be dropped in and let "dangle", lid closed and cooked.
    Hope for change.

Page 103 of 130 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast