RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 10 of 130 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    If a PC boolit is used for hunting some small particles might get mixed in the meat.

My question is will the PC particles be more toxic than a bare PB?
    I'm sorry, I'm a little lost on your comment. If I were to injest an element, I would take most anything over lead. Or are you saying that a pc boolit will impart more bad stuff into the meat than a pure lead one would? Fortunately for all of us, it seems the pc sticks well enough to the lead to stay on it, and not separate into the meat.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I have heard of very few boolits recovered that weighed EXACTLY what they did when loaded. There must have been some small particles somewhere in the meat. Are those PCd particles any more toxic than P B?

This question submitted by an OLD man that has swallowed lots of pellets and sinkers in my 70+ years.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    Please show photos of your PC setup to reclaim or prevent the spreading of the powder and how are you venting while coating?
    Where are you generally powder coating? Bob
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Boolit Bub
    anyone try pc bullets in a stock glock barrel? i have a 10mm

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by N1YDP View Post
    anyone try pc bullets in a stock glock barrel? i have a 10mm
    See my post #54.

WP
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Man
    After reading this entire thread from start to finish, I decided to give pc a try. I load for a few long bearing surface bullets. The worst of Ithem is the .513 700 grain WFN. The boolit Is the same size as a loaded .44 magnum cartridge. It always left some leading behind
    I already had a beat up toaster oven, so I bought the $39 Sears gun and some red powder. It was pretty easy to get good looking bullets. I sized them and loaded them over 106 grains of 4350. It's a mild load, but still motivated the bullet to 1950fps. Standing, shooting of the sticks I managed a 2 1/2" group at 50 yards three in one ragged egg shaped hole, the the two were about an inch out.

I was very happy with the accuracy, but after inspecting the bore, I had zero leading after 15 shots. Unfortunately as you might imagine, I could not recover a single bullet. I am saving up newspaper to try and recover a bullet to see how the powder coat looks

Thanks to all the trailblazers out there who got this thing going. It really does work. Thanks again.
    Last edited by doubledown; 12-29-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Banned

I have heard of very few boolits recovered that weighed EXACTLY what they did when loaded. There must have been some small particles somewhere in the meat. Are those PCd particles any more toxic than P B?

This question submitted by an OLD man that has swallowed lots of pellets and sinkers in my 70+ years.
    Well there ya go Bill............you have discovered the fountain of youth. A lifetime of eating pb by the way of eating what you kill. I always figured that casting, loading, shooting would keep me alive longer

Boolit Buddy
    It's my understanding that there's something in the PC in it's powder state that's not good to breath and can cause cancer (just wear a dust mask when working with it) but once cured, it's inert and no longer toxic.

Does lead hardness even matter if PCing? Could pure lead be shot in a 9mm that was PCed?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Does lead hardness even matter if PCing? Could pure lead be shot in a 9mm that was PCed?
    I've been wondering that myself; if the PC creates a barrier that doesn't leave behind residue, does the hardness matter anymore?

Boolit Grand Master

I would think with long rifle boolits nose slump might be a problem with softer boolits. The paper patch guys say they can shoot soft lead at high velocity, but it may depend more on the boolit design. With short handgun boolits it may not matter much.
    Has anyone coated boolits that were oversized by .002" or more then sized them down after coating? Say sizing a .359" coated boolit to .356" or .357".
    I'm very interested in trying this and may go and get the HF kit tomorrow.

Do you think a boolit, especially the longer rifle boolits, could me suspended by a thin wire in a lube groove without damaging the coating when removing it?
    Last edited by leadman; 12-31-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Boolit Man
    leadman,

I powdercoated a couple hundred Lee TL 125 grain 9mm boolits that mic out pretty fat and then sized them down to .357. They squeezed down fine, but that .002 above my .355 Glock bore ended up, I'm guessing, causing some impressive keyholing. My plan is to switch to the Lee 120 grain truncated cone boolit mold and sizing them post-coating to .356. I do wonder, however, if they actually would do better if it were possible to size them at .355 just like a jacketed bullet. any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Boolit Grand Master

Have you slugged your bore? I had a Ruger that was .3575" so I sized to .358" and it worked well. Might try sizing below the size of your bore or the same so after pc it is the correct size.
    Could the PC that flares at the bottom be sizing down the base of the boolit when sized?
    As far as ingesting lead this is the least likely method to cause an elevated blood lead level according to what the experts have written. I was a certified hazardous waste worker and studied the methods of elevated lead levels. Breathing vapor, open cuts, fingers to eyes, nostrils, mouth are the more easily way to acquire lead in your blood. There are many people still alive carrying bullets in their body.

Quote Originally Posted by xyankeeworkshop View Post
    leadman,
    They squeezed down fine, but that .002 above my .355 Glock bore ended up, I'm guessing, causing some impressive keyholing.
    That doesn't sound right. Keyholing is a symptom of undersided boolits. I don't believe its a symptom of oversided boolits, is it?

I size my 9mms to .358 for all my 9mm pistols without problem.

Boolit Man
    Prickett,
    I thought so as well, but they certainly aren't undersized for that bore. It may actually be that the Lee tumble lube 125 grain design and a Glock 17 simply do not get along very well. I've googled up several complaints about that. It may also be the fact that I ran TL boolits them through a sizer die and the combination of the PC and the sizing squashed the lube grooves unevenly. Either way, I'm ready to try a different boolit design.

Boolit Bub
    I've been a hobbyist powdercoater for a few years. If you want to hold bullets nosedown so you can PC the full diameter part, simply find a drill bit that is about the same size of the bullet diameter where the nose starts to curve from the base. Get a piece of aluminum or sheet metal, and drill holes, lots of holes. Duburr the holes. Make some legs for the plate, possibly even a baseplate to attach to the legs-you could even drill this baseplate with another diameter hole for another bullet-and fill the holes with your base-up bullets for PC'ing.

But wait, there's more! Put a sheet of aluminum foil over the plate first, and simply poke your holes through. This will protect your plate from a buildup of PC that would prevent conductivity for future PC jobs. Be sure the foil overlaps the bottom plate if you go that way. You can simply discard the foil when it gets too built up.

There are powdercoat removers out there, and they are waterbased, but very $$$, about $200 for a 5 gallon bucket. You can get smaller quantities also, but still $$$.

Boolit Buddy
    The powder coating in place of a copper jacket is a pretty interesting idea. Does the Harbor Freight powder have any sort of errosive properies? Just curious if it would wear out barrels faster.

I do not think it woud be errosive. It does not feel hard enough, and I do not think anything that melts at < 400 degrees will be more abrasive than a jacketed bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    IIRC on U tube they said it was a HI TEMP plastic so should never be hard enough to damage a STEEL bbl.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

This may interest some of you. http://www.flickr.com/photos/zapwiza...7594167019934/ home made PC gun.

Page 10 of 130 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast