Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you remove the sizing lube?

Boolit Master

How do you remove the sizing lube?

I use Hi-Tek and it made me a convert to coating bullets. I would lube the bullets with some Corbin bullet sizing lube, mostly because I have a bunch of it, it really works and a little goes a long way. I didn't used to bother removing it until I went to seat the bullet. That was before I started using a Dillon XL750 press and an MR Bullet Feeder.

What's the best way to remove the lube from a pile of sized bullets? I'm thinking about throwing them in my tumbler with just some Dawn dish soap for 15 minutes. Or would banging around in there start to remove the coating? I'm open to ideas. I don't think just throwing them in a tub with some Dawn and letting them soak will do it. This sizing lube is pretty aggressive, which is what I like about it.

I also have an ultrasonic cleaner. Maybe some Simple Green and hot water? Corbin says the lube can be removed with soap and hot water or most any organic solvent and leaves no residue.
    Last edited by AbitNutz; 11-18-2023 at 08:15 PM.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure about the lube you are using, but I use hitek and lube the boolits with hornady one shoot while sizing hard boolits, i just leave it on and load them. Never had a problem. Maybe try that since defiantly easier than trying to clean other lubes off.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried just sizing without lube? Once my bullets have PC they go through the sizer just fine without lube. I might be misunderstanding what you are asking.

Hick
    Hick: Iron sights!

Some folks have had good luck boiling them and depending on the lube, it'll float off & float, or dissolve.
    I would think in a tumbler, they'd bounce around and ding each other up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Corbin's website recommends hot soapy water. I have generally used trisodium phosphate and hot water, which is my go-to cleaner when processing brass, as well.
    I do not see why Dawn and hot water would not work for your purpose, as well.
    I agree with Winger Ed as to tumbling: too much chance of dinging the bullets. Soak and shake, rinse, repeat as necessary.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

- Boil 1X with a couple drops dishwater soap to break the surface tension. (5 min)
    - Discard water/soap solution
    - Boil 1X with clean water (5 min)

- Dry

I don’t remember lubing pc boolits when I tried it. I would shake and bake and then when cooled run them through my sizer die.

Boolit Master
    I do the same, dry sizing, even when sizing before PC.

There were some PD'd .358 bullets I sized for my 9mm that I had to work at. Those were lubed with Hornady One Shot. I did not remove the lube before firing.

Boolit Master
    I think the boil water with Dawn is what I'll try. I use a NOE sizing die in a LEE APP press and whiz through them. I adapted the SOCAL bullet tube to work with it. That is the best bullet magazine short of Mr Bullet Feeder. It is far, far superior to the Lee Mini Mr Bullet Feeder.
    I find that if I have to size the bullets more than the absolute minimum it really requires the bullets to be lubricated. Corbin seems to be the best you can get. It's probably more than I need but it makes sizing easy and I never size the coating off the bullet.
    [

Boolit Master
    I size the same day I cast and coat. Cuts out lubing to go through the sizer. Depending on the bullet it can be reduced in diameter .003". Coating is intact with a high shine on the surface. It does make for a long afternoon. Like 4-5 hours.

Boolit Master

I thought the Hi-Tek WAS lube? So why lube lubed bullets to size? If you have to lube them then why use it all, just use the regular lube and save yourself a lot of work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I thought the Hi-Tek WAS lube? So why lube lubed bullets to size? If you have to lube them then why use it all, just use the regular lube and save yourself a lot of work.
    Yeah, well when you're squeezing a bullet down a couple of thou you need a bullet lube, no matter what the coating is.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    if i use soft lead no lube, if i have hard lead it just make it a lot easier.

Boolit Master
    HiTek makes a spray on sizing lube that doesn’t need to be removed. It can even be applied between HiTek coats.

And, yes, I use lube even though the HiTek doesn’t need it. Easier on the arm.

Boolit Buddy
    I see the Corbin swage lube calls for hot water and soap. It mentions lanolin in the description. If this is the stuff being used, I found that the Purple Power degreaser removes lanolin easily.

I've never used it on bullets, but I found that a splash of it in the water when I tumble cases removes the lanolin I use for resizing. I tried other solvents, Simple Green was a bust, but Purple Power (WalMart) proved to be the best in my application.

I just dont think the effort is worth it unless talking 1000s. I would melt them all down & go from scratch. I can cast 1000 bullets in a 6cav Lee in less than 90m.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I have a bunch of bullets my Dad ordered before he passed away and I'm torn between just using them up or removing the wax lube and then powder coating.

I've done the boil thing and it's not fun, so even though they're smokier than PC I'll likely use them as is.
    Regards,

Gary

Banned
    trichlorethelyne would get the crap off fast.

methylethelketone would work ok

Boolit Buddy
    Have you considered using Dawn as sizing lube? It’ll rinse off easily.

Boolit Master
    When I need to take the lube off of rifle brass, I just toss them into corncob/walnut mix in my dry tumbler- you might try that with the PC lubed ones. The mix would prevent the bullets from dinging each other as they tumble
    Loren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast