RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Buddy
    I've also powder coated. Lately it has been 148 grain wadcutters for my Model 52. Shot 90 rounds at 25 and 50 yards yesterday. As clean and accurate or better than lubed WC's. Nothing in the barrel. I am using Harbor Freight's powder coating gun and paint.

WP
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

How does the cost of powder coating (both equipment setup and cost of the raw materials to coat) compare to lubrisizing or tumble lube?

Boolit Buddy
    HR has a system @ $60.00, but it needs an air compressor which I had. 16 oz. Of powder coating is $5.00. I haven't counted how many bullets you get out of 16 oz. Yet.

WP
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Re: Powder Coating Boolits

I am also interested in how many boolits you can coat with a set amount of powder

Okay , now you guys have my curiosity going also .... among other questions .... what does that Harbor Freight powder coat consist of ? .... namely would it be safe to use ? ...

digger

Boolit Buddy
    No help on what is in it. The container does not list any ingredients; only the normal dust safety precautions; do not breath, dust mask, goggles, adequate ventilation, etc.

WP

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Okay , now you guys have my curiosity going also .... among other questions .... what does that Harbor Freight powder coat consist of ? .... namely would it be safe to use ? ...
    digger
    Sorry .. should have added .. , "in the barrel ?"

Boolit Master

Well if this aint a hoot!
    Diff colors for diff weight boolits.
    I am watching this close, just might do me some.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Bub
    Ok guys... i just got some red today from harbor freight. I done a few 45 and a few 44. I found it works better if you get the bullets pretty warm before you apply the powder. This stuff is tough!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe504 View Post
    I am also interested in how many boolits you can coat with a set amount of powder
    I would say you could easily do 200 boolits with a pound of powder.

Boolit Buddy
    I have coated at least 300 and have a lot left. I think the more you do at a time the less over spray you have. Once a good efficient process is found, I think it will be extremely cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    I do 150 bullets at a time. My guess is that 16 oz. would do close to 1,000. I've done about 500 so far and at least half a container left.

WP

Boolit Man
    This subject is all of a sudden very relevant to my interests.

Anyone tried powdercoated boolits out of an OEM polygonal Glock barrel to see how they behave?

Boolit Buddy
    I've shot 147 gr painted bullets through g17 and g34. No visible stuff in the barrel, but i haven't shot a lot of them through those guns. The different colors generate some interest at the matches though.

WP

Boolit Buddy
    Are the bullets baked with the tin foil?
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Boolit Buddy
    I fill three plastic cartridge inserts with whatever bullet I am going to use, lay a tinfoil covered steel plate on top and then invert everything. This leaves a plate full of rows of bullets. These are then powder coated with Harbor Freights paint gun. The plate is then carefully moved to a preheated toaster oven for about 20 minutes. This does leave a fillet of paint after you take them off the tinfoil but it is removed when I size them. So far they are working good.

WP

Boolit Man
    Does the foil want to tear or stick to the boolit bases like accidental gas checks when you pop them off after baking?

I'm about ready to give this a whirl. It may end up taking me about the same time as dipping with 45/45/10 or pan lubing , but the upside of getting this process to work would be huge for me. I'm developing an irrational dread of wax and Alox.

This is interesting, Are you sizing like they were jacketed or as a lead boolit .001 larger?

Re: Powder Coating Boolits

Quote Originally Posted by ryokox3 View Post
    This is interesting, Are you sizing like they were jacketed or as a lead boolit .001 larger?
    I do .001 over.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Thanks for the quick reply olaf455. I'm definitely going to try this out.

Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast