RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: What do you think it would cost?

Boolit Buddy

What do you think it would cost?

I was cruising E bay and saw a Cramer ten cavity mold for sale. Just looking at the pics, I noticed all the machine work and fitting it must have taken to produce that mold. What do you suppose it would cost to make those today to the same quality level? Here, not in China or Mexico.

Iniustus lex est non lex
    Melior morior in vestri pes quam ago in vestri genu
    Semper Paratus, Semper Fortis

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" Barry Goldwater
    "Never argue with an idiot.They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".
    ANON

Boolit Master
    Probably more than most of would want to pay!

Banned
    $166.93

What do I win if I am right?

Seriously after casting with a couple of armory type moulds you would have to give it to me to take it. I have sold everyone of those behemouths that have crossed my path.....I do not like them and the smaller cavity counts give you more consistent boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

Actually it might be cheaper than you would think. I have a fellow looking into making some Ideal parts for me and the biggest deal is programing it into his CNC machines and then selling enough parts to make it pay. I don't think the production costs would be so bad IF you could sell enough. How many people even here are willing to pay for top quality gear as compared to say Lee products? If you could sell enought to pay for the automatic machinery I would guess they could be sold in the $100 range.

Boolit Master
    $420 from ballisticast for a 10 cavity

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BoolitSchuuter View Post
    I was cruising E bay and saw a Cramer ten cavity mold for sale. Just looking at the pics, I noticed all the machine work and fitting it must have taken to produce that mold. What do you suppose it would cost to make those today to the same quality level? Here, not in China or Mexico.
    should be easy to calculate. 2004 price levels for manufacturing work of this nature (skilled labor, easily available) was 50 cents a touch. Every time someone had to touch that product. Whether to load into a machine, whether to cut stock blanks, whether to polish. Each time someone touches any part of that (screws dont count except at assembly), add 50 cents. This is NOT 50 cents per operation! It's 50 cents per touch. Take that value, add the cost of the raw materials, and you have your "cost to produce". Double that, you have your MSRP. Take a smidge off, 10% or so, and you have your MAP.

Boolit Grand Master

Probably like my 1916 Remington model 11 shotgun, integral rib 26 inch IC choke, 35.00 new today would be 3500.00
    Charter Member #148