Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Thunder Bird Cartridge Inc (TCCI) Powder Data Sheets

Boolit Master

Cool Legacy Thunder Bird Cartridge Inc (TCCI) Powder Data Sheets

I keep seeing requests on this site, as well as others, for Thunder Bird Cartridge, Inc (TCCI) powder load data. Although I have not seen this powder for sale in a long time, it seems to keep popping up as a gift, Garage sale item, or an estate sale item.

Back in the 1980's I bought and shot quite a bit of this powder. With each shipment TCCI would send out a data sheet. Still have some partial jugs of several of these powders. Attached as a pdf are the copies of TCCI data sheets that I kept in my reloading files.

Perhaps others might have similar data sheets I have not included and can add their information to this thread.

Mustang

I don't see the attachment.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    I don't see the attachment.
    There are 7 PDF files listed at the bottom when I look at the post. I can open them inside the post by clicking and downloading, then viewing. The counter indicates that several visitors have opened them already. Not sure where your difficulty in viewing lies.

Mustang

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Mustang. Tbird still sells several of it's surplus powders today. I still have 870,5020,5070 and 2208 on hand.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Thanks Mustang. Tbird still sells several of it's surplus powders today. I still have 870,5020,5070 and 2208 on hand.

Do they still provide data sheets with their powder when they ship? If you have TBird data sheets I did not provide, can you post copies to add to the list available?

Mustang

I can see them now.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

Mustang it's been a few years ago, 4-5 and don't really remember but think just the data sheet in your second to last attachment. Jim you should be able to look out your door and see Laveen might be worth a trip to the place for you.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    I have some T570 it would be welcome if someone could steer me toward what this power will load?

Boolit Master
    I appreciate the reloading sheets on these powders, as I have a jug of T-680 and another one of T-5070 that I have been looking for reloading info on. I also have a jug of RVO-57 that I need reloading data on. Does anybody have copies of reloading data for this powder also? I think its also a 50BMG powder that might work for heavy bullets in the 338 Win Mag. Or could it be the same surplus powder as the T-570?

I remember River Valley Ordnance surplus powders as being slower burning stuff but I don't remember RVO-57.
    found this link https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...-powder.40606/

Looks like a website is still up (which is odd as my memory says owner died back in early 2000's) but they
    have contact info

Call 636.926.0898 or email rvowsales@outlook.com

so you might call or email and ask if they have reloading data available.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Buddy
    If anyone has a data sheet for 2208 please post it. I have read where it is supposed to be similar to BLc2 but it would be good to know what the vendor says.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by baogongmeo View Post
    If anyone has a data sheet for 2208 please post it. I have read where it is supposed to be similar to BLc2 but it would be good to know what the vendor says.
    The vendor says it is the same approximate speed as BL C2, see second to last PDF attachment above in Mustangs post. I just looked and no data sheet was provided for it, just the 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag with the slower powders.

I think it is safe to assume 2208 is just WC846 surplus and 2202 is WC844 surplus, just different lots all the tear down vendors were getting in the surplus powder hay days, now long gone thank you Slick Willy.
    Charter Member #148

Banned

Maybe these will help:

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handlo...quivalents.asp

My research has shown that the TCCI powder may have been made by ADI in Australia. That link above is ADI. If you go to that link and look at the burn rates (although it's not showing just the number 2208 and doesn't show 2202 at all) you can see that AR2208 is a couple burn rates below BLC-2. In fact in the same slot as Varget. They make a powder called Bench Mark 8208. IMR makes a powder called 8208 XBR, but I know that it's a short stick powder so has to be something different, but both those are in the same burn rate area. Also in that link is data for reloading.

I would never load on someon's assumption of what a powder is, I would want to be positively sure. The only way might be to start off with real low loads and a chronograph and work up watching your velocitys. A strain gage would be nice too.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd say your research is wrong! I thought everyone knew Varget/AR2208 a STICK powder was marketed in the US by Hodgdon and manufactured in Australia by ADI, known there as AR 2208. T Bird was/is a tear down contractor selling surplus military powder T2208 is a BALL powder with approximate burn speed of BLC2 coming from surplus, ring a bell yet?

5-15-2005-62*F- 308- 24 inch barrel
    168 Sierra MK moly
    43.0 grs WC846-from Hitech Dan
    210m Fed primer
    2667 fps, ES 26
    Everything same, same day
    43.0 T2208- from Red at T-Bird= 2648 fps, ES 34

I've shot it in the 6.5 Carcano side by side with WC 846, same stuff I'm telling yah. Information always seems to be more useful if derived from first hand knowledge instead of GOOGLE FOO. AR2208 is not T2208 nor is AA7 the same as RL7lol
    Last edited by swheeler; 10-26-2017 at 09:41 PM.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Here, sometimes pictures help.............Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surplus ball.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	206692
    Charter Member #148

Banned

Well you got me on that one. I never used any of the AR2208 nor the Varget. I have used the TCCI powder though and you are correct it's a ball powder. There are many ball powders in that same bracket. Good info to know. BTW I don't use Google, honestly I don't. I do use search engines for various things.

I've use a lot of that TCCI powder. Friend and I use to load 5.56 using the surplus 193 bullets by the 5000 lots to sell at the gunshow. We went through quite a bit of that powder. Jugs we got it in reminded me of Clorox bottles.

Thanks for the info.

Boolit Grand Master

cheers
    Charter Member #148

Banned

I also posted this in best powder for the 223, but feel is fits here better.

I got this from ADI in Australia today. Now we know some on what exactly ADI is making for Hodgdon. This is for swheeler and other of course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADI.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	206726

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I'd say your research is wrong! I thought everyone knew Varget/AR2208 a STICK powder was marketed in the US by Hodgdon and manufactured in Australia by ADI, known there as AR 2208. T Bird was/is a tear down contractor selling surplus military powder T2208 is a BALL powder with approximate burn speed of BLC2 coming from surplus, ring a bell yet?

5-15-2005-62*F- 308- 24 inch barrel
    168 Sierra MK moly
    43.0 grs WC846-from Hitech Dan
    210m Fed primer
    2667 fps, ES 26
    Everything same, same day
    43.0 T2208- from Red at T-Bird= 2648 fps, ES 34

I've shot it in the 6.5 Carcano side by side with WC 846, same stuff I'm telling yah. Information always seems to be more useful if derived from first hand knowledge instead of GOOGLE FOO. AR2208 is not T2208 nor is AA7 the same as RL7lol
    swheeler, you mentioned 6.5 Carcano. I've see you talk about them in the past and maybe you can answer this. Have you had any experience with the Japanese Type I which we know has the Carcano action and Italy made about 130,000 or so of them for the Japanese. I'm interested in knowing what the bore and groove dimensions run on them. Sorry about hi-jacking the thread.
    Last edited by vzerone; 10-27-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast