RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: redmans rifling & reboring and my marlin 1893

redmans rifling & reboring and my marlin 1893

now that i have shot enough patched boolits thru my marlin '93' i see that the pitting is way beyond what i want to contend with. the bp fouling is near imposible to get clean and on n on n on...

question is this...i found this 'redman relining company'...has anybody had repairs done by this company?? is there another reputable relining company that can be recomended and trusted to properly reline my otherwise great marlin model 1893?

thanks for the recomendations

In Remembrance
    I think one of our members here relines them, maybe John Taylor.
    What caliber is it, and are you planning on staying with it.

Super Moderator

..............I've heard a couple good reports about Redmans, but no personal experience. I too had a Marlin 1893 in 30-30. It was the standard rifle, eg: crescent buttplate, 26" tapered octagon bbl, full magazine. Very poor bore. I ended up pulling the bbl off, as GPC had NOS Marlin 36-RC 20" round barrels for $46. I figured I'd cobble up my own version of the "Light Weight" rifle. A couple weeks after pulling off the barrel and shipping it to a friend who wanted it, I heard about Redmans. I could have had it redone as a 38-55 for not many more $, but also a lot less time.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm looking at this same option as one resolution to an issue I have with a Win 94 in 25-35.....32-40 or 38-55. Still rolling it around.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

it is a 38-55 and i dearly desire to stay with that chamber/bore. i want to keep the origanal barrel with all the lettering and marks it has. thusly the desire to reline what i already have.

Boolit Master
    There is an article on my website about lining and 1873 Winchester. Might be helpful

www.rvbprecision.com
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

I'm not crazy about Redman liners. I'm sure they work OK but I prefer hammer forged liners from T.J.'s (859-635-5560). Give him a call and he will recommend someone to install a liner . Redman liners use aircraft tube and he pulls a button through it for the rifling. T.J.'s uses the same 4130 steel tube and runs it through a hammer forge machine. The hammer forge work hardened the metal plus make a much smoother bore. A plus is that there is a much larger selection of calibers.
    A 30-30 can be rebored to 38-55. I have had some of the nickel steel barrel that are very hard and do not finish well when rebored in which case I install a liner. My own model 93 Marlin started life as a 25-36 and is now a 38-55 after the rebore.
    If money is no problem you can have a custom liner made that will have cut rifling with any twist within reason, try here http://cutrifle.com/ .

good to know john Taylor thank you for the information. I had redman reline a Winchester barrel for a HI-Wall many years ago and he did a great job on it. it was in 38/55 I traded him a Lapage pistol(new repro) and some cash. just started to work with it and I let someone talk me out of it. dang fool I R. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

I will unreservedly recommend John Taylor do do a reline job. He lined a 1900 mfgr. 1895 Winchester for me. His work was prompt and of very high quality. If you don't know what you are looking for, you will not know that the gun is relined. My '95 shoots exceedingly well with jacketed and cast. I have leaded the barrel while working on cast loads and the leading was more easily removed than leading from my Shiloh Sharps.

thankyou all for the suggestions and JOHN TAYLOR a PM has been sent.

Boolit Buddy
    John Taylor did my 32-20 reline. EXCELLENT. Got it done when he said for the price quoted. Shoots GREAT. Here it is in action.

Randy Redman occasionally shoots at the Silhouette matches here and he's a good guy. I don't know much about his work but I've heard good things.

Boolit Master
    I had Redman do a couple each of .22 RF, .25-20, and .32-20 and one .44-40 reline for me in the '80's and early '90's. He also used to do rebores, which I thought were very good, but I believe he no longer does reboring because of the variations in steel hardness in the old single-shot barrels. His workmanship was good and the rebored and relined barrels I got from him were at least as accurate as equivalent factory barrels. I think Redman was one of the first to make the liner installation invisible at the muzzle.

I've since gone to relining my own barrels and have used Redman and TJ's liners and haven't seen any quantum leap differences in accuracy between the two. TJ's does offer a greater selection of calibers and twists than Redman, and also sells liners by the inch rather than the standard lengths Redman offers, but the cost differential once the liner was installed wasn't all that large, as I recall.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I was talking to Alan Swan, an Australian gunsmith who makes and relines barrels. He said that he only uses the hammer forged liners now as the performance from them is way superior to what was available previously.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 11-23-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

I had my broomhandle Mauser relined by Randy. He communicated well (a few days to answer an email, fine for a one-man shop) and he turned around the job in half the time estimated (about 3 months total).

He rechambered it as well, standards for his relined, and I must admit the chamber was VERY tight. I had some factory rounds that wouldn't fully seat, and drop-in was not possible. I dressed the chamber with a greenie pad around a dowel, with WD-40 as lubricant briefly and that helped. But I also noticed a fairly deep scratch in the chamber, beforehand.

I should have sent the scratched chamber/bbl back, but it doesn't mar brass so I decided to keep it. Not like it's an every day shooter. I guess it was worth the money, but I'm not sure I would send to him again.

Bulldogger
    Last edited by Bulldogger; 11-23-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master

JES reboring is also an excellent choice. As to liners i have used a lot of Redman's in the past and they can turn out a good shooting rifle but since trying T.J. s as recommended by John Taylor I have switched.

Boolit Master
    I lost John Taylor's addy. Anybody here have it?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    I lost John Taylor's addy. Anybody here have it?

Rich
    http://www.johntaylormachine.com/38.0.html
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.