RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Buddy
    Shot 75 tonight. All 3 kinds. Accuracy. Wow. Started with the flats. At 25 yards. First 5 shots in the center dot. Tack driver. Shot more. All rounds right on the money. The deep hp ones blow the **** out of wood. Targets were stapled to a 1in thick board. Every time I shot a deep hp you would see tons of wood flying. Kind cool. Now I need to get some jugs and shoot water. And whatever else I can put together.

After 75 shots not a drop of leading.

Boolit Man
    Smiths Revolvers seem to have tight throats and I beleive the large meplat is causing slight interference when I try and seat it out to full OAL. I sometimes have had same problem with some jacketed bullets I've tried where I had to be aware of not getting the OAL too long. I have used the Lyman 403168 200 gr in it and I can seat it out to over 1.350 with no problem, but the nose is a long RFN with base OD of around .360 so it doesn't touch the throat. I have to assume that use SAAMI specs so can't explain why they have tight throats, but I have heard of others having same issues with Smith Revolvers using rimless cartrdges. The good part is I can run 40 S&W thru it with moon clips and have no issues with OAL.

NHGrumpyGramps, you should slug the throats in that revolver; it sounds like they are way tighter than they should be. The shoulder on this bullet should allow you to seat it to full length. The meplat size shouldn't have anything to do with it; it's not touching anything in a revolver cylinder? Slug the bore and compare to the throat dimensions, if the bore/throat relationship is correct, maybe you just need to size the bullets smaller.

Boolit Man
    I have checked the cylinder with gage pins and found that .402 is no-go and .400 is go (.401 will work on some but not others). I slugged some of the cylinder bores and I measured .402 so that is what I size to. THe problems is there is no lead between the cartridge chamber shoulder and the throat, its just a step. I can get really great accuracy with this revolver, so I don't want to have the chambers modified and apparently this is how Smith chambers their revolvers for rimless cartridges. I have a 625 (45ACP) with the same issues. I may try sizing to 401 to see if it makes any difference, but my initial testing showed good results with 402. I am happy with the boolits from this mold, its just going to be a little difference getting it to work in the revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post
    I'm having a little trouble with base fillout though, even with plenty of tin in the mix. All of the details in the cavities fill out nicely, but one or more of the bases end up rounded on almost every cast. Never had this trouble on any other mold, including 3 other Mihec molds. Anybody else having this problem?
    Thought I'd report back on this; just finished my second casting session with this mold. Loosening the sprue plate screw a little was all it took to get the bases to fill out well. My reject rate went from 30-40% down to less than 5%. This one's a keeper!

I think one could argue that this mold may be the only one you need for the 10mm; it's almost perfect for this round. Good stuff!

Boolit Bub
    Quick question guys...Is anyone running these in a G-20 with a lone Wolf Barrel? If so, what are you sizing to? I As many know, lone wolf's have tight chambers by design..My barrel slugs at .401, and would like to size to .402 (my mould drops .403) Im a little concerned and I may run into chambering issues with this tight chamber. I know each brand of case has different thickness, etc. that can effect this (Im shooting starline), but just wanted to get a general guideline from the lone wolf users. I am planning on ordering a die from lathesmith for the star, but just wanted a back-check before I ordered one. Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Shirt View Post
    Quick question guys...Is anyone running these in a G-20 with a lone Wolf Barrel? If so, what are you sizing to? I As many know, lone wolf's have tight chambers by design..My barrel slugs at .401, and would like to size to .402 (my mould drops .403) Im a little concerned and I may run into chambering issues with this tight chamber. I know each brand of case has different thickness, etc. that can effect this (Im shooting starline), but just wanted to get a general guideline from the lone wolf users. I am planning on ordering a die from lathesmith for the star, but just wanted a back-check before I ordered one. Thanks!
    I am sizing mine to .4025. In my lone wolf they work. But I also polished the chamber and also lapped the the throat to break the rifleing down so it was not such a hard start to it. Did that so a different boolit I was shooting would drop into the barrel. Load up a test round at .403 unsized boolit and see if it will drop into.the barrel. If it does not u can use the dummy round to polish the chamber throat till is does fit. I used a round loaded at 1.27 to do mine. That way when loaded at 1.26 you get that .001 gap to the rifling.

I'm using a 6.6" Lone Wolf barrel in my G20L. I also lapped my chamber and bore. The bore in mine is .400" though, and I size them to .401" which works perfectly.

If it's a recent Lone Wolf barrel, it would not be surprising if your rounds fail to chamber completely with .402" bullets. The people at LW seem to be trying to make up for a loose drop-in barrel fit by using a super tight chamber, which doesn't make much sense, IMO.

Boolit Bub
    Ctious/Yondering,

thanks for the info...Just tried Ctious' idea of loading an as cast dummy round, and it was VERY tight. I think I'll go with a .401 and hope for the best. I also agree LW seems to be going a bit too far in the chamber tolerance. My Storm Lake barrels in other calibers seems to be a good compromise. On the positive side, I cant complain about the LW's accuracy in my G20 though.

Boolit Master

Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

I used to know a handfull of guys who advised sending the LW barrel back to LW along with a couple dummy rounds and LW would open the chamber / throat to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    I used to know a handfull of guys who advised sending the LW barrel back to LW along with a couple dummy rounds and LW would open the chamber / throat to fit.
    I think they still do that. Expect it to be gone for a while though; LW customer service is pretty slow. 6 weeks just to exchange a recoil spring when they sent the wrong one.

Mihec is going to send one of these to me. I just paid for it today.

Anyone using a Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer? If so, what top die number are you using?

Boolit Master

Miha supplies the top punch that fits a 4500.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Ah, I see it in the pictures now. Thank you.

Boolit Master

Re: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

How goes it ctious? Any new testing lately? Anyone else?

Boolit Buddy
    Oreo, thanks for driving this!!! grabbed one from Mila Sunday!

now time to search these posts for starting points for my .40 S&W Loads

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    How goes it ctious? Any new testing lately? Anyone else?
    Well. Yes and no. Lol. I did have a deer get up in front of me in some really thick stuff. Little trees that looked like a bambo field. I shot 3 times. 3 trees fell over. Lol. So they kill trees good. Lol.

Been out coyote hunting. No luck yet.

Boolit Master
    Ctious = Abe Lincoln, Deer Slayer, practices by shooting down entire trees with a single 10mm boolit!

Boolit Master

Re: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Last I looked Miha had 4 left of the 200gr molds, in case anybody wanted one / another one. I think Redwoode grabbed the last 190gr one.

Boolit Buddy
    Jw what the expected delivery time after payment is?

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast