Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Master
    You're welcome. Thanks for the pics.

I would have to agree that there's no need for more hp with that alloy. The shallow one does plenty. I wonder how much the expansion can be controlled with a better alloy?

Oh, and ctious, next time do a 4-layer denim shot. (Just kiddin' )

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    You're welcome. Thanks for the pics.

I would have to agree that there's no need for more hp with that alloy. The shallow one does plenty. I wonder how much the expansion can be controlled with a better alloy?

Oh, and ctious, next time do a 4-layer denim shot. (Just kiddin' )
    Tried. But they don't make 4 legged jeans for deer. Lol

Boolit Man
    That is pretty impressive performance as far as expansion! I actually got this mold to kill bowling pins, so will be interested in how the solid vs hollow points work. My wife finally picked up my mold from the post office on Wednesday since I had to work (she just doesn't understand the urgency like I do so it sat there for two days). I heated and cooled it several times and then tried it out. This is first brass mold I have and most of the higher cavity ones I have are aluminum (one Lyman 4 cavity). I set it up to cast all three types and got good results in no time. I was using almost 100% COWW with just a little solder added for the tin. I got weights of just a couple tenths under 205 gr, 200gr, and 195 gr. My impression of the mold is excellant and I want to thank Oreo and Miha for a great group buy. I did not realize how heavy it was going to be so I guess I need to start doing some curls to build up my forearms- I only got to use it for 10 minutes at a time before taking a break. I am getting ready to size these on a lyman 45 with .402 die which has worked well with my 10mm S&W 610, however, I found that the top punch with the mold was .420 OD and would not fit inside the die. My other top punches run about .390-.395 so not sure why this one is so large-has anyone else noticed this? I started using the lyman #43 which seems to work OK, but does leave a slight ring on the boolit tip. I now need to get some loaded up and go to the range.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NHGrumpyGramps View Post
    That is pretty impressive performance as far as expansion! I actually got this mold to kill bowling pins, so will be interested in how the solid vs hollow points work. My wife finally picked up my mold from the post office on Wednesday since I had to work (she just doesn't understand the urgency like I do so it sat there for two days). I heated and cooled it several times and then tried it out. This is first brass mold I have and most of the higher cavity ones I have are aluminum (one Lyman 4 cavity). I set it up to cast all three types and got good results in no time. I was using almost 100% COWW with just a little solder added for the tin. I got weights of just a couple tenths under 205 gr, 200gr, and 195 gr. My impression of the mold is excellant and I want to thank Oreo and Miha for a great group buy. I did not realize how heavy it was going to be so I guess I need to start doing some curls to build up my forearms- I only got to use it for 10 minutes at a time before taking a break. I am getting ready to size these on a lyman 45 with .402 die which has worked well with my 10mm S&W 610, however, I found that the top punch with the mold was .420 OD and would not fit inside the die. My other top punches run about .390-.395 so not sure why this one is so large-has anyone else noticed this? I started using the lyman #43 which seems to work OK, but does leave a slight ring on the boolit tip. I now need to get some loaded up and go to the range.
    Looks like u might have got the wrong punch. I hope it was a mistake and not the.norm.

Boolit Master

I just checked my top punch, .395 is what it came out to.
    NHGrumpyGramps, I am with ctious, you got the wrong punch.

Boolit Master
    GrumpyGramps, PM me your mailing address. I'll send you one of mine. I ordered three molds and don't need any of the three top punches on account of the fact that I'm using a star. I can afford to spare one for ya.

Boolit Buddy
    Oreo rocks.

Boolit Master
    Just getting caught up on my karma. I assure you the ledger has been far out of balance for a very long time.

Boolit Buddy
    Grats on the deer ctious. I was away hunting myself but didnt see any deer. Just whacked a few varmits with my mark3. Nice bullet research as well. Thanks for the news and updates! Hope he eats well!

Boolit Man
    Oreo,

PM sent- thank you very much for your offer and thanks again for being honcho on this group buy.

Boolit Buddy
    Cut up the deer tonight. Wow. The hole that it blew is shocking. I could put 3 fingers sideways through both sides. Shoulders and rib cage. I think this shallow hp is amazing. Wow.

I ordered one of Miha's extra molds on the 12th and am waiting for its arrival. Really enjoyed the photos and story of the deer hunt. Hollow cavities are the way to go for high velocity hunting ctious.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hicard View Post
    I ordered one of Miha's extra molds on the 12th and am waiting for its arrival. Really enjoyed the photos and story of the deer hunt. Hollow cavities are the way to go for high velocity hunting ctious.
    On smaller animals yes. Up here a small deer is atleast 100lbs. Most I shoot are 160 to 220 dressed out .Pretty big deer. The hp does dump engery into them. But I have had it happen here where a hp stops short of getting deep enough. Prime example was last year with my 10 mm. I was using 180 gr xtp. At 1200 fps. And the bullet only went in about 4 inch. I has to shoot that buck multible times on a long track before it was down for good. That one dressed out at 215. That was why I went to cast. I was going to use a flat nose this year but found out that they are illegal to use in Wisconsin. The wording of the law sucks. Even the dnr said its worded badly and they personally think a flat nose should be legal bit sadly its not. So the shallow hp is my go to. And it def works well. Just need to stiffen up the alloy some and it will be perfect for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ctious View Post
    I was going to use a flat nose this year but found out that they are illegal to use in Wisconsin. The wording of the law sucks. Even the dnr said its worded badly and they personally think a flat nose should be legal bit sadly its not. So the shallow hp is my go to. And it def works well. Just need to stiffen up the alloy some and it will be perfect for me.
    What about a rifle round? I should check TN laws.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    What about a rifle round? I should check TN laws.
    Wisconsin says it has to be an expanding bullet. Hard cast flat nose do not fall into that. According to the head dnr office. They took a week to get back to me about it. Their exact words were that its not legal but most likely no warden would give u a ticket for using it. Being one of the local wardens by me is a real *******. Will hit u with with anything he can come up with I figured I better not risk it.

Boolit Master

I found we could not use a "Full Metal Jacket" to hunt with, but that was about it.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Are there any of these molds left? Sems like a good boolet for my Gee lock

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by frank505 View Post
    Are there any of these molds left? Sems like a good boolet for my Gee lock
    Pm miha. I think he has some.

Boolit Master

Re: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

I hope Miha has a good stash of extras. There's been a steady stream of new interest for this one ever since it got started.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    I hope Miha has a good stash of extras. There's been a steady stream of new interest for this one ever since it got started.

Time for a rerun already? Hahaha

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast