Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy View Post
    Yea...mine runs a bit heavier...but I don't have data for a 200 grain cast bullet either...Yea I know its just a guess
    What powder do you have or plan on using? I'm sure someone will have some data. Lee does have some very limited 200gr data for lead.

Boolit Master

Lee data Modern Reloading 2nd edition
    10 mm round
    200 gr cast
    W231
    4.2 gr to start
    870 FPS
    5.5 gr max
    1030 FPS
    Max OAL 1.240
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks red333 I will use that for a starting point I wanna think mine drops around 192 with my mix. None of my books have any listing for a bullet that heavy.

Boolit Master

No worries, just cost ya a dollar.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    No worries, just cost ya a dollar.
    yea...they go fast in a 10mm don't they!!!

Boolit Master

All I have are 40 cals, we have 7 of them.
    We shoot the 180 gr, our Glocks eat them up, shoot very well
    with Titegroup, hit a 12 steel plate at 50 yards all day long.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Well, someone got me the harbor freight powder coat gun for Christmas. I sent a 190gr mold off to have the lube grooves removed. This should make a nice winter project.
    Apologies as I've tried to search for an answer with no success, but where do you send to have the grooves removed?
    I've got a six cavity 40cal 175 lee mold that needs groove removed since it will be right at the case mouth when seated to length for STI 2011
    Thanks

Boolit Master

A local machine shop should be able to do it.
    If you have a good drill press you can do it.
    Ya just drill them out.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Bub
    Is there any plan for a new run of these molds? I would like to get a 200 grainer. First post by the way. Great sight.

Boolit Master

Arrow, get a hold of MiHec
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?5623-MiHec
    He might have a few left.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    A local machine shop should be able to do it.
    If you have a good drill press you can do it.
    Ya just drill them out.
    Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Eric at hollowpointmolds.com will remove lube grooves from existing molds. He quoted me $50 shipped for the 4-cavity.

I would not do this on a drill press. The cut needs to be extremely precise. You want a pro like Eric to do it. He specializes in this kind of work.

Boolit Master

Eric at hollowpointmolds.com will remove lube grooves from existing molds. He quoted me $50 shipped for the 4-cavity.

I would not do this on a drill press. The cut needs to be extremely precise. You want a pro like Eric to do it. He specializes in this kind of work.
    Best answer gatekeeper, let a pro do it.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Master
    Ready to start powder coating! My only concern is that these measure .404" diameter. Powder coat adds a couple thou so to end up at .402" these are going to have to be sized down .004" which is do-able but a bit much.

Here is sized to .4005" (micrometer)

Notice the mold parting line has not been sized out. I can feel it with my fingernail but I can't catch it with my fingernail. I'm hoping it is sufficiently covered by the powder coat so as not to be a path for gas cutting when being fired.

Last edited by Oreo; 01-05-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Ready to start powder coating! My only concern is that these measure .404" diameter. Powder coat adds a couple thou so to end up at .402" these are going to have to be sized down .004" which is do-able but a bit much. ]
    Hey Oreo,

Had a couple questions. What's the weight on those? Also, isn't the loss of lube groove increasing bearing surface and in turn generated pressure? Seem counter-intuitive to cast boolits. Not knocking it, just figured better results with powder coated lube groove boolits?

I've been doing some dry tumble powder coating and it looks promising, may have to buy the HF ES gun one day.

Boolit Buddy
    Why are you getting a line? Is your mold not quite lining up right? Mine leaves no line at all.

Boolit Master
    Well, This is the one that I had Eric@hollowpointmolds.com modify. I had never used it before I sent it to him so I can't say for certain whether it came that way from Miha or if it is a result of the modification Eric did. One of the four cavities is definitely misaligned by about .002", easily detectable with the micrometer. The rest of the cavities are pretty good as cast. I suppose I could hand lap this out a bit but I'm hoping it will just shoot good as is.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    Hey Oreo,

Had a couple questions. What's the weight on those? Also, isn't the loss of lube groove increasing bearing surface and in turn generated pressure? Seem counter-intuitive to cast boolits. Not knocking it, just figured better results with powder coated lube groove boolits?

I've been doing some dry tumble powder coating and it looks promising, may have to buy the HF ES gun one day.
    Because with this particular boolit I can do that trick where the boolit is seated in a .40s&w case at 10mm OAL and 10mm load data. Doing this normally would put the case mouth edge right at the edge of the lube groove which isn't ideal. Remove the lube groove and that's no longer a problem. Powder coating is particularly well suited to this use because normally, even with very heavy boolits (210gr+), there isn't much of the boolit seated in the 40s&w case. Add in a lube groove and there's not much bearing surface available for case tension / friction to prevent boolit set-back.

Considering I had a spare (3rd) mold available for the experiment, I already have a proper conversion barrel for this, as well as the right (smaller then normal) sizing dies (for powder coat application), and it was something I just had to try.

Because with this particular boolit I can do that trick where the boolit is seated in a .40s&w case at 10mm OAL and 10mm load data. Doing this normally would put the case mouth edge right at the edge of the lube groove which isn't ideal. Remove the lube groove and that's no longer a problem. Powder coating is particularly well suited to this use because normally, even with very heavy boolits (210gr+), there isn't much of the boolit seated in the
    40s&w case. Add in a lube groove and there's not much bearing surface available for case tension / friction to prevent boolit set-back.

Considering I had a spare (3rd) mold available for the experiment, I already have a proper
    conversion barrel for this, as well as the right (smaller then normal) sizing dies (for powder coat application), and it was something I just had to try.
    Right on, thanks! I'll be keeping an eye out for results. My 190gr mold came in from the extras yesterday. If I can get acceptable results with PC, this will be my go to competition boolit for 3gun & IDPA with the big HP and hunting boolit with the 10mm solid. Should simplify my loading.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone tried this in a eaa steel? I load in a glock and am needing to bring the oal down because at longer lengths the side of the round nose is touching the plastic magazine housing at the corner where they reinforce it to make up for it being plastic.

I was wondering if with a more squared off steel mag it couldn't go out longer.. A little dissapointed in glock here, but to be fair they were made with tc in mind and this might be an excuse to get a 10 from eaa with 40 conversion

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast