Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Master
    Has anyone done any (or plan to do any) long-distance (>100yds, 200? 300+?) testing with this boolit? There was talk during the design phase that a WFN profile is less ballistically stable at long distance. I'm curious to know what the distance limit is on this boolit just for the sake of feedback about the design and improvement of future designs.

Boolit Buddy
    I will be once its nice here. Still snow and ice. My ccu comes next week so I will shoot it at least to 200.

Boolit Master

We shoot at 40 yards, hit a 14" steel plate every time, 15 rounds.
    I will try over the weekend at 50 and 100
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    I have done 50. It's great. I think if I remember right I did shoot 80 one day. Off hand. 3 shots all real close to the dot. Was very happy with it.

Boolit Master

I have an eye on this
    http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php
    Might be a good test for long range.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    I have an eye on this
    http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php
    Might be a good test for long range.
    That is what I have coming this week. . Long waiting list. But 3 months later its finally going to be here.

Boolit Master

Cool, please let us know how it shoots and functions.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Master
    Did some chrono work with the cup point last night. My mold is the 200gr. Boolits weigh 195 with my alloy. Load was 9.0 gr Blue Dot in mixed cases CCI large pistol primer.
    AVG. 1192
    ES = 69
    SD = 19.2
    load is accurate but left leading in the last inch or so of my 5 inch 1911 cleaned up with a couple of passes of a brush so for no more rounds than I would shoot in a hunting situation I would be good but I want to see if I can do better with the leading. Expansion testing is next.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Buddy
    Shot some distance with the mechtech and cast. As far as I can tell it groups about a inch or so low right oof my jacketed. But nice and tight. Will try to get to 150 and 200 soon.

I washootishooting 100 yards.

I had a loading and shooting session today.

Specs:
    Mold - MP 402-190 (the smaller of the 2 in this thread)
    Lead - BHN ~12-15 Wheel Weight alloy (but it runs a little hard)
    Bullet - Air cooled Deep Hollow Points, run about 182-183gr
    Cartridge: 40S&W, 1.120 OAL
    Powder: 4.7gr Titegroup
    Gun: Sig P226 Stainless Elite

I was able to recover a bunch of bullets to show the expansion of these. I found a bunch of old scrap tires, lined up 3 of them and shot through them. I found these in either the second or third tire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	68838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	68839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	68840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	68841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	68842

I hope these prove to be useful to someone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 11.jpg 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	68844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 12.jpg 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	68845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 13.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	68846

Boolit Master
    Any idea what velocity that Sig gets? I love those guns!!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting those Kevin.

What alloy were you using? It looks like those deep HPs held together pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by harley45 View Post
    Any idea what velocity that Sig gets? I love those guns!!
    Yep, I forgot to post that I brought my Chrono out with me and I was averaging 995 FPS with 4.7 gr Titegroup. These bullets drop at about 182-183gr using Wheel Weight alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    What alloy were you using? It looks like those deep HPs held together pretty well.
    Hey Oreo, I was using Wheel Weight alloy on these. Nothing really special, but they seem to drop slightly harder than other WW alloy that I've used in the past. I will try to hardness test one of the actual slugs so that I can get an exact measurement and stop guessing.

I was surprised at the expansion, and that it retained so much mass, with only a couple of them breaking apart. I would be happy to do additional measurements on these, or even send them to you if you were interested. I am having a blast shooting them.

Boolit Master
    Its tempting, but you keep them. Thanks for the offer though.

If you don't mind, weigh a hand full of them and let us know what the retained weight is.

Boolit Buddy
    Shot some solids the other day. Seemed like AA#9 is a good powder, but at 12.5-13 grains, they are compressed loads. Got up to 13.3 grs, but deformed the bullets when seating. Through a Storm Lake Bbl in my G20 with 22 lb spring, I didn't see any case head expansion or flat primers. Sure beat up my brass, though. I think the rims hit the mag feedlips hard enough to throw up a pretty good burr, even after polishing them. Case mouths dinged up pretty good on the ejection port. I had a little leading all the way down the barrel, and accuracy was in the 2-4" range at 25. I think I need to firm up the alloy a little and maybe bump up the sizer .001" if that doesn't work. I'm sizing to .402 in a .401 bore with a bhn 11 alloy. Pretty much straight WW. Fastest load I had was a little much for the system, I think. Biggest whack on the shooting end I have ever gotten from a Glock by far. I think a good all around load will end up being the 12-12.5 load if I can get the leading taken care of. That should give 1150-1200 or so and the compressed load will help prevent bullet setback. I noticed the front of the bullets coming up in the mag were taking a beating. With some of the hotter loads, I had a few ftf (high stemming). Maybe just violent enough to jar the top cartridge forward in the mag?

Bullets were too deep in the soft dirt to recover any.

I'm pleased with my first day shooting these. Thansk for doing the GB. I'm going to like these for sure.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Boolit Bub
    I bought the full 200 grain mold for my 10MM.... Have though about setting up to load .40 S&W.... Has anyone here shoot the 200 grain bullet in a .40? If so a range report and load data would be much appreciated....

Boolit Master
    John,
    I haven't tried it yet but I can say the boolit length is not too different then the 180gr speer gold dot. If I were you I'd start by using the deep hp pins to get the weight down. Use a cautious starting load and work your way up. I bet you do ok at 900fps.

Boolit Master

Great pics Kevin, thanks for them. I have
    not been able to find any of mine. I use Titegroup as well,
    very good powder for my Glocks, we have 6 of them, and they all
    like the load you posted. I even went a bit lite on a few, 4.2 grans,
    cycle was just fine.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    John,
    I haven't tried it yet but I can say the boolit length is not too different then the 180gr speer gold dot. If I were you I'd start by using the deep hp pins to get the weight down. Use a cautious starting load and work your way up. I bet you do ok at 900fps.
    Thank you Sir, Cautious is my middle name..... I have a Glock 23 set up with a Bar-Sto 9MM barrel for cast bullet use... The 23 already has a Crimson Trace laser installed and I have just function checked the gun with the new Surefire Ultra light attached.... Surefire rates the Ultra at 500 lumens and I BELIEVE them....

I'd really like to have a .40 S&W thumper load to run from this gun....but since "cautious" is my middle name I just don't shoot lead bullets from factory barrels.... (Yep, I know lots of people do so with no problems.... It's just my abundance of caution).

I would just go ahead and buy an aftermarket barrel in .40 IF S&W was not starting to produce M&P Pro CORE pistols that are already milled to accept micro sized red dot sights..... My 57 yo eyes love red dots....

I would have the option to send the Glock slide off to be milled for a red dot.... So basically I'm at the coin flipping stage on "next gun funding...". I need to go do some rested accuracy testing with the 9MM barrel installed... The 23 may become my new favorite woods loafing gun.... It fits in my Safepacker holster with the light attached.... I was pleased to discover that.... The local coyotes hopefully are not going to like that at all...

I would still like to hear some first hand 200 grain .40 S&W results....

I would also appreciate a PM if someone comes across a M&P Pro CORE in .40....for sale...

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast