Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by harley45 View Post
    Well it's time for another run of molds he's out of the 200 grainer and I have several friends that are interested plus I want a spare!
    I know a few guys also that want one now. Also

Boolit Master
    Me too. I'll post another sign-up thread later today.

Boolit Mold
    i missed the last run should have another one now??? thanks..

Boolit Master
    Here's the link to the RE-RUN sign-up thread:
    RERUN-Mihec-10mm-200gr-WFN-40s-amp-w-180gr-HP-4-cavity-Brass

Boolit Master
    Anybody know what size Torx but to use? I need to order some.?
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master
    Torx? Don't use torx. Try regular hex wrenches in both metric and SAE sizes. There is one that fits perfect like it should. I posted the size on the first page or so of the results thread iirc.

Denul-

Did you ever make up 38 / 40 dummy rounds and check for function ?

and which boolit length did you purchase ?

can I get anybody to sent me a ½ dozen as cast for function checking in some Winchester rifles ??

Quote Originally Posted by denul View Post
    Mine arrived today. I can't cast very soon, because of the weather. I really appreciate the efforts everyone involved, especially Oreo,and Mihec. I wondered if anyone had tried it in the 401 power mag, or 38 / 40.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Boolit Master
    Greg, I have some of the solids cast I could send ya? PM me

harley45

PM is on the way...
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

Shooters Talk Refugee

Harley45 had mailed me a few boolits to try a fun-tion test in a couple of 38 WCF rifles, from his 200 grain mould

Dummy rounds assembled thusly;

38-40 - WW brass trimmed to 1.299"

Mihec 10mm - 200 grain group buy Boolit sized to .401

Seated in WW brass at 1.580" OAL

Fed from magazine just fine; as in, as fast as an ole fat man can operate the system.

Although the dummy rounds were not crimped, I didn’t have any issues with the magazine spring changing the oal in this short test.

The 200 grain boolits were .638" long as arrived, which set the base just below the case neck in my neck sized brass with an oal of 1.580" ancient fire-formed brass from my youth resized in Lyman 310 dies.

does Lee make a bottle neck factory crimp die for the 38-40 ??

Harley45 - Thank you for your help ! and encouragement !
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

Shooters Talk Refugee

Boolit Master
    Your welcome I've always had an interest in this cartridge

Boolit Master

Shot some today, 40 S&W Glock 22, 190 gran, large HP,
    4.2 grans TITIGROUP and a CCI SPP.
    30 yrds, 6" group.
    Great mold, on the rerun list as a backup.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    sorry i think i posted this first in the wrong thread, still getting used to how you guys organize things here, but i wanted to ask is this more suited to 10mm than 40? it just seems heavier than everything else out there. i would be using it for woods carry with the small hp and city carry with the large hp. it seems like an amazing round for the 10mm but i only have the 40, i am just a bit nervous that in a 40 platform the hp wont be able to expand since the round might not be travelling fast enough. i read all the threads and loved the 10mm performance on the deer, do we have any pictures of the performance when in the option 2 .40 loading?

specifically i put the data into quickload, if i seat it to a full .363 the bullet is too far in to get enough powder in there, but if i seat it to .296 this gives an OAL of 1.135 which works fine in the glock, and allows 7.4 grains power pistol in to achieve 1100fps and almost 500ft/lbs (these are just estimates thrown in by quickload, hopefully its in the right ballpark.) i just want to make sure at .296 i'm not seating at the lube height.
    Last edited by smokesahoy; 03-20-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Boolit Master

No, I dont get to find any boolits, I shoot a hanging plate.
    I will see if I can shoot some in sand and get a few.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smokesahoy View Post
    sorry i think i posted this first in the wrong thread, still getting used to how you guys organize things here, but i wanted to ask is this more suited to 10mm than 40? it just seems heavier than everything else out there. i would be using it for woods carry with the small hp and city carry with the large hp. it seems like an amazing round for the 10mm but i only have the 40, i am just a bit nervous that in a 40 platform the hp wont be able to expand since the round might not be travelling fast enough. i read all the threads and loved the 10mm performance on the deer, do we have any pictures of the performance when in the option 2 .40 loading?

specifically i put the data into quickload, if i seat it to a full .363 the bullet is too far in to get enough powder in there, but if i seat it to .296 this gives an OAL of 1.135 which works fine in the glock, and allows 7.4 grains power pistol in to achieve 1100fps and almost 500ft/lbs (these are just estimates thrown in by quickload, hopefully its in the right ballpark.) i just want to make sure at .296 i'm not seating at the lube height.
    I dont think you will be able to seat the bullet that far out. Even at .401 the front driving band will cause a chamber stoppage in my glock. In you are wanting a fast mover in the speeds you have listed I would suggest a lighter bullet. Your worries about expansion are just that--worries. Your bullets will expand mainly depending on your alloy. The softer the lead the better it will expand without breaking apart. You should also realize the less case capacity you have the faster you will build pressure with less powder. I have my target loads set up with 3.8 grains of win 231 and I knock over steel plates with ease and authority. Remember this, the heavier the bullet the less speed you will in fact need. Think of these bullets kinda like 45acp rounds for a 40 cal. Lots of downrange power. This bullet has a large meplat which gives it a nice 'bone-crushing' profile. I personally do not use handloads for self defense loads. Just me maybe, but I dont. This mold makes a good accurate bullet and the smaller of the 2 is the one I use for my 40. It may not suit your needs but I think with a little powder tweeking and some chronographing with some real world work you might come out impressed. I also dont buy into most of the computer generated stuff. I just like real world results. I think if you could pull 900-1000 fps from this bullet from a glock you will have more than enough power to satisfy all of your 40 cal needs.

Edit: 3.8 gr of 231 was the right number...I have too many loads...
    Last edited by Captain_Howdy; 03-21-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    By my calculation you can seat this boolit to 1.225" cartridge oal and the case mouth will just barely cover the lube groove so the only thing you really need to think about there is how long a round can your mags load and feed. On a side note, this boolit was inspired by the 180gr speer gold dot. The 200gr version is no longer then the longest samples of the 180gr gold dot I found. Since the gold dot is designed for 40sw and the 190gr (180gr hp) version of this boolit allows for some .030" additional case capacity its safe to say there is sufficient case capacity under this boolit when loaded to SAAMI spec to get good results.

As for the hollow point and expansion, the deep hp is deeper and wider then the already gaping gold dot hollow point, and this boolit doesnt have a tough bonded copper jacket to reign in expansion. Your problem won't be getting the boolit to expand but keeping it from over-expanding and fragmenting. Also keep in mind that expansion is desireable only when there is an excess of penetration. Until someone does some penetration testing with the deep hp version of this boolit I'd only use the shallow hp or no hp versions for hunting and defense. Use as soft an alloy as you can get to shoot cleanly at good velocity for best results.
    Last edited by Oreo; 03-20-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    I had to order a custom expander for my die set but as soon as it gets here I'm goanna test the heck out of the deep hollowpoint. I'm using it to teach my 11 year old how to reload and cast!

Boolit Master
    Can wait for the report Harley!

Boolit Master
    Expanders are here so the fun begins!

Boolit Master
    Its been an hour. No pictures of targets, or dead animals yet?

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast