Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

AA9 has been around for a while. What books do you have? The Hornady manual lists it, and there is data on Accurate's website.

Boolit Buddy
    ah, ok- found it in the Hornady book in 10mm. I was just looking at the .40 S&W.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok guys grab onto to something solid and hang on...no wait...grab some coffee and try to stay awake...

I am about to share a little bit of testing with you guys that I finished yesterday...or should I say I finally got around to yesterday. I'll try and keep it brief and to the point.

First of all I am not a precision pistol marksman or anything like that and secondly this is reloading stuff so I make no warranties expressed, implied, or otherwise. These are just my own personal results and any feedback will be welcomed.

The bullet has been described in the first post this thread. I am using the smaller one for my Glock G22.

Mihec 40 cal lead flat nose. Using wheel weights mixed loosely with range scrap mine came out at average 195 grs @ .403 (roughly) air cooled.

All bullets seated to overall length 1.125 inches.

Powder was Win 231 and primers used Winchester small pistol. Cases were used and not segregated in any way shape or form. Pistol is an old Glock G22. Uncleaned for testing.

Conditions 60 degrees with no appreciable wind. 5 rounds fired at each target distance 7 yards.

I had no idea where to start with my loads so I decided to use the Winchester site and went with their data for a 200 gr bullet and adjusted slightly.

targets are left to right--top to bottom I have them numbered actually.

3.8 grs: the group was excellent and the gun felt good in the hand. good ejection and minor recoil.
    4.0 grs: the group opened a bit but was still good, two rounds one hole above the bull, cases beginning to bulge a tad...typical glock chamber. recoil on the rise.
    4.2 grs: the group seemed to string but still good, may have been me, recoil still increasing, no other changes from previous string.
    4.4 grs: the group seemed to tighten up a bit but I did pull the first shot, ejection at this point was in the 6 feet range, sitting position, more recoil.
    4.6 grs: the group opened up a good bit. recoil is very noticeable now, ejected cases going all over.
    4.7 grs: the group still opening, I musta either missed one or it two in same hole, I couldnt determine, lots of recoil. I stopped here.

I had no flattened primers. I went soley by feel in my judgement to stop. I had no chrono to go by and since I am using a glock it is better safe than sorry. I did notice some leading. Probably due to the higher loadings. In the pic you will see a target on the left, I fired 5 factory rounds when I finished and the gun was still shooting good.

I gotta run so I will finish this when I get back...

Ok, am back. My conclusions on my first small batch test is the 3.8 gr load is gonna get tested more. I am gonna try this load out on some steel plates to see if it can knock them over. The recoil is light and target practice should be great with them. The 4.4 gr load is gonna be tested more as well. All in all my data would seem to lead me to believe that for decent accuracy 3.8grs-4.4grs is good to go. If I had a chrono I would explore more options but for now these results will do. I intend on testing the shallow and deep hp in the same manner and will post my results if you wish. I couldn't find any published data so I just calculated based on experience and what I thought my be a safe starting point. Seemed ok for the powder I used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	195grglocktest_zpse62381ee.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	57321
    Last edited by Captain_Howdy; 01-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Boolit Mold
    is thare anyway?that i could get some of the bullits i cant cast any thing becouse of my hands.

Boolit Buddy
    Shot 250 of these today. Grouping was great. My barrel was clean and shiny after. No leading. Load was 8.4 gr longshot. With the 200 gr mold. On a rest at 25 yards group was 1.5 inch. I was only resting my forearms. This bullet is a great design.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone test the deep hp yet? I ask cause I dug out a backstop and found my flat and shallow hp boolits. And then mixed in was some really expaned almost completely flat pieces of lead. A good inch plus in dia. I think these are the deep hp boolits. But not sure. Could be from something else.

Anyone test them?

Boolit Buddy
    Also I ordered a ccu for my glock in 10mm. I am hoping there is enough lube grove for a 16 inch barrel. Will let u all know in about 2 months when it gets here.

Boolit Master

Re: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

I don't think you'll have any problem with running out of lube as long as you're using a decent lube. I had several phone conversations with Harley45 about exactly that way back before I even put the first blueprint drafts on paper. Harley45 has done a lot of hog hunting with 16" barreled 10mm. He thought the lube groove could be quite a bit smaller and not be a problem even in carbine length barrels. I kept it big just in case.

Boolit Master
    Yup I said what Oreo said I said.
    I have an ar 10mm that works well with another cast boolit I have so this should work well to. I just haven't had time to try
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Buddy
    Good to know. So I was bored today and cast another thousand or more. The more this mold is used the better and better the boolits are coming out. They all look like works of art now. It's almost a shame sizing and lubing them. But I know they will be even more fun shooting them.

I am going through a dry spell with killing something with it. Seems when I have time to go the weather says no. And when I can't go its beautiful out. Darn it.

Boolit Master
    I won't have a chance till October

If anyone has an extra one of these molds they can part with please let me know. Thought I was done with .40, but of course I just started loading for it again. Email or PM me please!

Boolit Buddy
    First off, thanks Oreo & everyone involved for a great bullet design!
    I think this boolit solved most of my 10mm problems. I was using a Saeco 043 175 TC and had quite a bit of feeding issues in a 1911. I had to seat it them way overlength to prevent them from hanging up on the feed ramp. Even after that, the cases were getting dinted right at lube groove when they did feed. These new boolits feed great!

I chrono'd a few test loads today just to get a starting point. My old 175's were running right around 1100fps with 8.5gr of Bluedot last summer.
    Today's numbers at about 35 degrees here all loaded with 8.5 gr of Bluedot, 5 shots each

With the old 175 boolit 1053fps, ES 35, SD14
    The 200 mihec Boolit large HP (193gr as cast) 1164fps, ES 32, SD14
    The 200 mihec Flatnose (203 gr as cast) 1145fps, ES 28, Sd12
    I was surprised they were that much faster, but obviously from smaller case capacity with that same powder charge.

They all shot well. I'll probably drop to about 8 gr and try again as I'm not trying to load them too hot. Which, brings up a question, what is considered a top load for a 200 gr lead boolit in a 10mm? I've seem some data up to around 1250 fps but that is a bit too hot for a 1911 isn't it?

Boolit Buddy
    Original spec for 10mm is a 200 gr at 1200 fps.

My top lead in 200 gr is almost 1400.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks.
    I'm going to load some more now that I have a reference point. I'm going to try AA9 as well.
    Last summer Blue dot seemed a bit unpreditable when I went over 9.5 gr with the 175. I also found it ran faster than published loads in my gun.
    The AA9 data was right on according to the chrono.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried some deep HP's with AA9 yesterday, worked up from 10.5 gr to 11.5 gr (11.8 listed as max)
    1080 fps avg was all I could get out of them, more than 11 gr just gave more muzzle flash, but no faster. I think AA9 is to slow.
    If I can get some AA7, I'll try that, but so far I'm getting better results with Bluedot.
    AA9 works better with jacketed, IMO

I have the smaller if these molds. I loaded up some deep hollow points using Titegroup powder with OAL 1.125. I started laddering at 4.3 gr through 4.7 in my Sig P229 Elite before I stopped. I didn't have my chrono with me, but 4.7 gr of Titegroup felt like about the high end of where I wanted to be. I loaded a decent quantity of these at 4.5gr and am happy with them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by b2948kevin View Post
    I have the smaller if these molds. I loaded up some deep hollow points using Titegroup powder with OAL 1.125. I started laddering at 4.3 gr through 4.7 in my Sig P229 Elite before I stopped. I didn't have my chrono with me, but 4.7 gr of Titegroup felt like about the high end of where I wanted to be. I loaded a decent quantity of these at 4.5gr and am happy with them.
    I to am using the same load of Titegroup, no chrono ether, 4.3 to 4.5 cycle my G22 and G23 very well, boolit weight 185, large HP.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Anyone work up a Titegroup load for the non-HP WFN 195gr (on the smaller of the 2 molds offered)? I have some hard cast that I want to use for bear protection loads while hiking. Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Well it's time for another run of molds he's out of the 200 grainer and I have several friends that are interested plus I want a spare!

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast