WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 31 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

Boolit Master

Mihec 10mm - 200gr WFN / .40s&w - 180gr HP, 4-cavity, Brass

THIS GROUP BUY IS NOW CLOSED!
    Send a PM to Mihec if you would like to buy one. Last I heard he still had some extras (8/8/2013).

This mold was cut to full .631" depth for a 200gr WFN / 195gr & 190gr HP, or cut to .601" depth for a 190gr WFN / 185gr & 180gr HP.

Molds came with all three pin sets included. Replacements may be purchased by contacting Miha.

There are two hollow point pin options and blank pins for casting solids. The short pins remove 5gr from the solid boolit, the long pins remove 10gr from the solid boolit. So if you bought a mold cut for a 200gr WFN and use the long pins you get 190gr HP boolits.

Options: (Prices as invoiced by Miha)
    1. Mold cut for 200gr WFN $156 shipped
    2. Mold cut for 190gr WFN $156 shipped

Here's the first-run participation list:

1. - Oreo - 1, 2, 2
    2. - harley45 - 1
    3. - Hounddog - 1
    4. - bld451 1
    5. - Gun-adian - 1
    6. - werepyr - 2
    7. - Redwoode - 1
    8. - pbard - 1
    9. - alrighty - 2
    10. - mold maker - 2
    11. - USAF Shirt - 1
    12. - 1dbbehr - 2
    13. - pomofo - 1
    14. - KennethF - 2
    15. - MBuechle - 2
    16. - Bullfrog54 - 1
    17. - works4me - 1, 1
    18. - Ctious - 1
    19. - Wilson - 1
    20. - johnfl - 1 + a set of mold handles
    21. - NickE10mm - 1
    22. - gumpy - 1
    23. - yondering - 1
    24. - AlabamaEd - 1
    25. - Ozarklongshot - 2
    26. - Paulinski - 1
    27. - Rattlesnake Charlie - 1
    28. - Humbo - 1
    29. - doctorggg - 2
    30. - IllinoisCoyoteHunter - 1
    31. - Huntnman - 2
    32. - twiggs1 - 1
    33. - Maximumbob54 - 1
    34. - Mark85304 - 2
    35. - Stishooter - 1
    36. - Captain_Howdy - 2
    37. - Ramjet-SS - 1
    38. - 2wheelDuke - 1
    39. - BigHoss74 - 2
    40. - woody13 - 1
    41. - RED333 - 2
    42. - chuck4570 - 2
    43. - NHGrumpyGramps - 1
    44. - fivegunner - 2
    45. - Explorer1 - 1
    46. - Iron Mike Golf - 2
    47. - lamina1982 - 1
    48. - Aaron - 1
    49. - Alex - 2
    50. - hog50 - 1
    51. - BLTsandwedge - 2
    52. - twin_savage - 2
    53. - thegreatdane - 1
    54. - another gunslinger - 1

Second run participation list:
    1. - 2hawk - 2
    2. - harley45 - 1
    3. - armedmoose - 1
    4. - MTtimberline - 2
    5. - FLYCUTTER - 2
    6. - ANeat - 2
    7. - Dark Horse - 2
    8. - SP5315 - 2
    9. - Stishooter - 2
    10. - grunt4 - 1, 2
    11. - TXSlade - 2
    12. - M99SavNut - 2
    13. - AlphaFoxtrot - 1
    14. - Sheriff - 1
    15. - crawfobj - 2
    16. - greyarea - 1
    17. - johnvid - 2
    18. - Balduran - 2, handles (2)
    19. - Normbro - 1
    20. - TFF - 1, 2
    21. - forcedconvection - 2
    22. - health@hughes. net - 1
    23. - Lead Waster - 2
    24. - YunGun - 2
    25. - jimgun - 1
    26. - robertmcw - 2
    27. - Live2Ride - 2
    28. - todd987 - 2
    29. - castreloading - 2
    30. - timberhawk - 2
    31. - raybird - 2
    32. - gunsbrad - 2
    33. - jdam169 - 2
    34. - Nabind - 2
    35. - Gregger - 2
    36. - Stevtrains - 2
    37. - wymanwinn - 2, handles
    38. - RED333 - 2
    39. - timbuck - 2
    40. - Ole - 1
    41. - lead_her_fly - 2
    42. - Gunslinger1911 - 2
    43. - CHD - 2
    44. - dirtdarte - 2
    45. - cigarman454 - 1
    46. - PbHurler - 2
    47. - smokesahoy - 2, handles
    48. - DocHolyrood - 1
    49. - oldtoolsniper - 2
    50. - icecold - 2
    51. - swest10 - 1
    52. - jimmya - 2
    53. - Smith 58 - 1
    54. - Sig - 2, handles
    55. - JDK - 2
    56. - Polish Jeff - 2
    57. - dpunch - 2
    58. - Cmemiss - 2
    59. - dbar - 2
    60. - shaggyant - 2
    61. - x101airborne - 1
    62. - Poohgyrr - 2
    63. - LabGuy - 2
    64. - Buzz64 - 2
    65. - Guardian - 2, handles
    66. - daengmei - 2
    67. - 69papatango - 2, handles(2)
    68. - alha - 2
    69. - nightal - 2
    70. - Santiam - 1, handles
    71. - flydad - 2, handles
    72. - colt_saa - 1
    73. - Range Rat - 1
    74. - Jeff_WNY - 1
    75. - double00 - 2
    76. -

Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    Something to look at

LINK TO THE DISCUSSION FORUM THREAD

LINK TO THE ACTIVE GROUP BUYS FORUM THREAD

LINK TO THE CLOSED GROUP BUYS FORUM THREAD
    Last edited by Oreo; 08-08-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    Gratuitous macro shots of the molds I received today:

EDIT TO ADD:
    I felt that these pictures should be in this thread as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MBuechle View Post
    Cast a few today:

some close ups:

As with my other Mihec mold, this needs to be run just under frosty bullet temp to avoid wrinkles. These are dropping @ .404" and 185gr. HP'd and 194gr. flat nosed with 50/50 Pb/WW + 1% Sn. I need to build a .40 kake cutter and a .398 powder funnel for the 550 before I load these though. That may take a few days. I'm anxious to shoot these though as they look like nice boolits. haven't tried the shallow HPs yet but think they may make a real nice deer boolit in a 10.
    Last edited by Oreo; 11-12-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I too received my mold today. I was impressed with the mold itself.

The pins? Not so much. They didn't easily fit the mold so I tried to do the usual fix which is to loosen the allen bolts so they will slide in and out easily. I stripped 2 MiHec allen wrenches--the one that came with this mold and one from another mold. And I stripped 2 craftsman allen wrenches. I also stripped out several of the allen bolts. Luckily there was only one pin that I could not get to loosen at least one of the bolts in. Both allen bolts felt like they were hammered in with an impact wrench. I had to use my vise and a torch to get them to loosen up. I crushed the socket heads on both allen bolts. I had the bolts locked into the vise not the pin. I did not damage the pin so that is good. I can use bolts from one of the other pins that have 2 loose bolts so at least my mold is still perfectly usable.

There are 2 factors at play here. First, I would say all but 4 of the allen bolts were installed too tight in the pins. If they need to be loosened they should not be so tight as to strip wrenches or strip out the head. Secondly, some of the allen head sockets seemed out of spec, maybe too lose. A new allen wrench should fit snugly. I am thinking you may want to keep a close watch on the allen bolts that go into the pins.

Everything is perfectly usable at this point I just want to express my difficulties with the pin bolts. If anyone else encounters this problem just be careful and patient. If your allen wrench starts to slip or get worn then by all means use another wrench. I did use all mine up. I just hope sears will take mine back!

I'll get back to you when I have time to cast some bullets with it, maybe tomorrow or maybe tonight, who knows. I was a bit disappointed with the bolts but I'll get over it. The extra pins that were sent will cover the parts.

I'll catch you guys later, I gotta go mourn the loss of a football game

Boolit Master
    Captain, I noticed the same thing with the small allen wrenches not fitting the pin bolts. I haven't checked yet but it's like it's the wrong size wrench entirely. Almost like trying to use a metric wrench on an American standard sized bolt head. I've got plenty allen wrenches of all sizes so I'll check with what I've got and report back.

Sorry to hear of your troubles though. Miha did say that he would supply replacement pins & parts if there was ever any trouble. Not sure what the cost would be but probably minimal for those pin bolts.

Boolit Buddy
    Yea...I agree on the pin bolts and the socket size. I tried both SAE and Metric allen wrenches. To be honest both sets of wrenches and the Miha supplied wrenches all seemed to have a less than proper fit...basically too lose, like the socket head was too big for the proper tool yet too small for the next size up. As small as the pin bolts are I personally would not torque them any more than finger tight. The threaded area is way too small to support the kind of toque I had to use to loosen them.

On a good note, however, I have a few more pending orders for some of his molds. I'd be happy enough if he just tossed in a few extra pin bolts when one of those molds ship. I know how much it costs to ship overseas and there is no sense in wasteing shipping on a few pin bolts when they could just be added later. If that would be agreeable with Miha.

Vendor Sponsor

Try to unscrew / screw with TORX wrench
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Master

Hopefully I get mine soon. I just got the 452-200, and had the same problem with the pins. The small Allen wrench doesn't fit anything. A 3/32 Allen from my set works perfectly though.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Torx bits. Now we know. Lol.

Boolit Master

Maybe tomorrow is the day for me. I was really hoping to have some of my own 10mm boolits for the hunt I went on today.

I hit a nice sow with an arrow. She went about 20 feet then went down. I used a DoubleTap 10mm to finish her.

I'm hoping to equal or better DoubleTap's 200gr WFN with these boolits.

Here's the exit wound from a DoubleTap 10mm 200gr WFN from today.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    Try to unscrew / screw with TORX wrench
    nice...I wonder how many of those pin bolts I screwed up. Had I known they were torx I wouldn't have used an allen wrench on them.

So how much do replacement pin bolts cost? I'll gladly buy some with my next mold purchase if they are reasonably priced.

You may wanna publish the torx info somewhere so other people wont repeat my mistake. I am sure I ain't the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy View Post
    The pins? Not so much. They didn't easily fit the mold so I tried to do the usual fix which is to loosen the allen bolts so they will slide in and out easily.
    Here's another way to fix that - my solution on several other Mihec molds has been to drill the lower pin bolt holes slightly oversize in the mold block. (Not the large vertical pin hole, but one of the two small sideways holes for each cavity.) This keeps the two pin bolts from binding, and the pin is still located by the one correctly sized hole.

I can't remember the size I drilled, but it was only a few thousandths larger than the existing hole. Mihec, you might consider this for future molds. (Of course it adds an extra step to production, so more $.)

Boolit Master
    I'm not taking cutting tools anywhere near these molds. They were machined to perfection by Miha already.

I think the solution is to just leave them finger-tight. Miha doesn't even have to ship them assembled. That would save him time too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    I'm not taking cutting tools anywhere near these molds. They were machined to perfection by Miha already.

I think the solution is to just leave them finger-tight. Miha doesn't even have to ship them assembled. That would save him time too.
    Agreed, my thoughts exactly. I think his molds are great. This one is too,.

Vendor Sponsor

Originaly pins are not TORX, (should be allen key), but material for pins is soft and you can easily ruin it. TORX happens to fit and you can not go bad with it.
    www.mp-molds.com

Vendor Sponsor

I hope others will agree

I was thinking about it my self, too.
    Less work for me....
    www.mp-molds.com

Boolit Master
    I wonder how much time it took to put them all together?

2 locating pins X 3 sets per mold X 4 cavities per mold X 60 molds for this gb alone = 1440 locating pins.

Damn! I'd rather Miha leave that to us so he can get through more GBs quicker.

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder how much time it took to put them all together?

2 locating pins X 3 sets per mold X 4 cavities per mold X 60 molds for this gb alone = 1440 locating pins.

Damn! I'd rather Miha leave that to us so he can get through more GBs quicker.

Hmmmm, you know, I still AGREE!!!!

thats a lot of pins to install, no wonder they were too tight...he was MAD!!! LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Someone please cast a shallow hp. I need to see one. It's killing me.

Boolit Master
    ***NOTE ABOUT TIGHT PINS***

If your hp pins are not sliding freely the first thing you should try is loosening the locating pins. They should be barely finger-tight or a hair less.

THE ALEN WRENCHES SUPPLIED BY MIHA DO NOT FIT THE LOCATING PINS! The locating pins take a 5/64" (or maybe 3/32") SAE allen wrench. If you use the wrenches supplied by Miha you will strip out the heads of the locating pins.
    Last edited by Oreo; 11-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.

How do you keep the loose pins from backing out while casting? I've had them come out during the course of casting a pot full of bullets, and it's hard to screw them back in with a hot mold. Granted, a couple of mine are older Mihec molds without the allen holes in the end of the pins.

Opening one hole slightly does no harm to the mold, and lets the pins align in the block easier. I wish Miha would make them this way. I agree though that if you don't have machinist skills maybe you shouldn't do this yourself.

Page 1 of 31 1234567891011 ... LastLast