WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .44 mag and Green Dot(again)

Boolit Master

.44 mag and Green Dot(again)

Yesterday I shot 2ea, "one hole", 5 shot groups from sandbags out of my 629 Classic DX 5" that has a Leupold 4x scope. Both measured .82" C to C at 25 yards.
    Boolits used were 429421HP and 429244MHP(scalped to eliminate gas check shank). Load was 8.6g of Green Dot. There was absolutely no leading, and the
    "stats" from the chrono were equally impressive.
    429421HP, weight 232g, hardness Bhn 11, ES 27 vel 1075fps SD 12
    429244MHP, weight 225g, hardness Bhn 9, ES 18 vel 1034fps SD 6

The 429244MHP,8.6g load also shot well from my 329PD. Group size was 2.10", which ain't bad with the Hi-Viz type sight, and stats were ES 37 vel 990fps SD 15.

Once again, I've found Green Dot to be a great powder for medium (1000fps) loads in the .44 mag.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Shuz,

I like GD for 25yards. Bullseye even better. Problem for me is, powder speed seems to limit accurate range with PB bullets. I do better with the slowest powder that gives me consistent ignition at the velocity level I want to run. With PB bullets that is about an 80% - 90% burn rate by Quickload. So using the velocity range you indicate, I would say AA#5 or HS-6 would actually give me the best accuracy in the widest amount of guns at that level. Maybe even down to Blue Dot.

In fact, Blue Dot seems to be the most flexible powder for me. Burns well down to about 8000 psi. Since it's a shotgun powder, it should. Plus it burns very evenly across the whole range in a 44, but can be a base cutter at higher pressures. Put a GC on and Blue Dot can just about do anything I ask if it twern't for the cold weather issues.

Do you shoot longer ranges?
    Last edited by Bass Ackward; 06-13-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    Someone else mentioned Green Dot was great in 44s, about a grain less than Unique. I just used a bottle for 44 and 45 colt plinkers and it did fine and Alliant lists it to around 1200 fps in 44 mag.

Boolit Master
    Bass--I basically confine my Green Dot loads to 55 yards(50 meters). I have a home range with a set of IHMSA big bore sized chickens at that distance, and enjoy shooting at them. For hunting and longer distances I use 2400 and WC820.

Unhappy

After reading the glowing reviews of G. Dot in the .44Mag., I just had to try it in my Ruger SBH (10.5" bbl.). My most recent effort was 7.7gr. with a Lee 210gr. WC (sized to .431", roll crimped)) was an abysmal failure: Lots of bbl. leading, poor accuracy. Test #2 was almost the same, but I lowered the charge to 7.2gr. and left the WC's unsized: I "tumble lubed" them with Lee Liq. Alox. Results were essentially the same. After I got home, I chanced to look at the front sight and found it loose (held in place by a screw). I used blue Loctite to secure it. Trial #3 was a repeat of #2, but with sized Lee WC's and LBT Blue lube applied to the two rear lube grooves. Accuracy was better, but not nearly as good as what I got with 7.7gr. G. Dot a few weeks ago: 13 in 1.5" x 1.62" and 2 flyers to keep me humble. I think the problem has to do with my alloy being too soft: Will have to add some lino. to it. I did chronograph 20 loads today and got 1,084fps +-34fps with an ES of 114fps. It may also be time to anneal my 6x-fired Mag Tech brass and trim the case mouths by ~02."

Boolit Master
    Paul,

Is this a true WC?

Actually, not too bad if you can just stop the leading considering that and how fast your running them.

Bass, Yes it's a scaled-up version of their (Lee Precision's) .38Spl./.357Mag. button-nose design (copied from...?). I used to own the .38cal. design, but deep-sixed it as 2/3 of its droppings were flawed (poor nose fill-out). This was before I learned about venting problems and what to do about them. The .44cal. version shows the same tendencies, but I used the red-handled file I keep on my reloading bench to persuade it to vent more completely. So far it seems to have helped. Btw, I trimmed the brass back to 1.25" and annealed it last night with the hope that things will improve. I'll enrich my alloy and see if the leading stops. One last thing: As I've written before, some wadcutters, e.g. the RCBS .38cal. and this 210gr. Lee are significantly more accurate if seated backwards; i.e., with the base forward.

Boolit Master
    Paul--I can't recall shooting Green Dot outta my 7.5" Ruger, and I no longer own a 10.5 incher! Most of my shooting these days is confined to 4 to 6" bbls. Maybe things go south with such a long bbl? Also, have you tried the Green Dot with 429421 or 429244 or the RCBS equivalents?

Shuz, I loaded some of the RCBS and Lyman Keiths this morning over 7.2gr. of Green Dot. I think the leading I got was due to the alloy, supposedly WW's and too little lube on the WC's. The looong bbl. doesn't lead much, only a small amount at the forcing cone typically.

Boolit Master
    Paul,
    I've found that 8 to 9g of Green Dot with a variety of boolits seems to work fine. Perhaps it's an obturation/ leading issue?

Shuz, I'll post my results soon after I fire them. Btw, 7.7gr. G. Dot and the very same Lee WC shot very well last week from the same SBH.

Shuz: I've tried a lot of powders in my S&W M29-2. Somehow Greendot didn't do well. Lately, I've been shooting only 250 grain LBT types (with gas check) and avoiding the 300 grainers to save wear and tear on my old .44 My current service load is 10 grains of WSF and WLP primers. Velocity is about 1025 fps. Accuracy is very good, but not in the league as your DX. - CW