RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: What mold for 30 caliber.

In Remembrance

What mold for 30 caliber.

I may be dreaming here, but is there one mold that may work decent in 4 different 30 cal's , 30 rem, 30/30, 300 sav, and a 308.
    Or maybe two molds.
    What ever I get would need to work with a lee push through sizer.

Boolit Master

Just an opinion, Lee has a 150 Grain with a gas check has always shot very well in anything I tried it in. In a plain base, slow stuff, 311241 IF you can find one.

Cast Hunter

I've found the Lyman 311291 to work well in a variety of .30 cals (including .308).

Boolit Master

Talking

You will get a better answer if you let us know what you are going to use them for. Hunting,target shooting or just plinking.

Banned

I would recommend this one

http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/cat...products_id=83

you could tumble lube or pan lube these easy and push through a lee sizer and tadaa, have a good boolit.

Boolit Master
    The RCBS 30-150FN works very well in my .30-06's, .308Win, & .30-30. Lyman's 311291 also works well, but is a might heavier.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

While it's not my 'best' for either, the 311041 shoots well in both .30-30 and .308 for me and a buddy has run a bunch of those (cast from my mould) through his Savage 99 with no problems.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

starmac,

I like the idea of simplifying the boolit selection and casting to a "one boolit fits all" concept. I haven't found that to be the case. I have a few questions for that might help you on your quest.

What is your intended use? Are the uses for each of the 4 weapons you've listed the same? For hunting, the preferred design is a blunt or hollowpoint boolit. There also be other criteria and other purposes. You may find a one boolit design that satisfies all requirements. A tube magazine in one rifle can also limit your choices for any magazine fed rifles.

Do the weapons you've list have the same rifling twist? This will effect what shoots well in each gun. i.e., length/weight of a boolit. Also intended velocities may be considered. (as will many other factors.)

Do the barrels all have the same bore/groove diameter? If not you'll have to size and separate accordingly.

Plain based or gas checked or paper patching? This will determine your powder selection and sizing of the boolit, and moreover boolit design. One boolit can still work for all with for this criteria, it will depend on what works best in each rife and your preferences.

I hope his helps,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

In Remembrance
    I would want them to be suitable for hunting. I have not slugged the bores, so that could mess up my thinking of keeping it simple.
    For now I think I want to stay away from paper patching, But would probably need to go with a gas check.
    I have seen the 311041 suggested quite a bit for the 30/30, if it also does well in the 300 savage, it would be one to look at, if it can be used with the lee sizer.
    Blammer have you used boolits from that noe mold, they look pretty good for my use.

Boolit Master
    I only have two 30 cal molds. A311041 and a311008. I shoot the 311041 in 30-30,30-06,30-40. Works well in all five guns( I have three in 06 )
    Been going to load up some of the little plain base boolit in some light rifle loads but haven't got around to it yet.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 311041 or the 311291 works in all of those cartridges for me......

Larry Gibson

Banned

I have and they work just dandy for me.

i would suggest the rcbs 150 fn for a 1 mold arrangement. the reason for that is that they usually cast between .310 and .309. your 30 rem will slug somewhere between .306 and .307. i have 3 different 30 rem's. the rcbs will size to that groove w/o as much distortion as most other brands and unsized, it should work well in the other calibers. the 300 sav will work best with bore riders so, i would suggest that type if you get a 2nd mold.

frank

Boolit Grand Master

Here's another vote for the 311041.

It works pretty well for me in .308 Mauser and a friend borrowed some for us in he .308 Savage and also got good accuracy.

If being used for multiple guns my suggestion is to make sure the mould will cast to suit the largest groove diameter at 0.001" to 0.002" over groove then try it in all guns at that size. You might find you have to size for some or each gun but even if so then the one mould may just do you along with a sizer or two.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    I only have two 30 cal molds. A311041 and a311008. I shoot the 311041 in 30-30,30-06,30-40. Works well in all five guns( I have three in 06 )
    Been going to load up some of the little plain base boolit in some light rifle loads but haven't got around to it yet.
    I have over 30 .30 caliber molds but your argument for those two is right on i think.

George

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd go with either the RCBS 30-150 FN, or the Lyman 311-041. Assuming the 30-30 is a lever action, You need a Flat-nosed boolit anyway. I have used the 311-041 extensively in 30-30, 30-06, 30-40, and a few paper-patched in a 7.62x 54R. Both boolits are suitable for hunting, and I'd be happy with either. The RCBS 30-180 FN is also a viable candidate, but I am not sure how well it would work in the 300 Savage's relatively short throat.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned

RCBS 165 Sil