WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like a good lube

Looks like a good lube

Please DON'T laugh. My 50/50 Pb/#2 .40 180 TC sized to .401 for a full sized XDm. Lubed with PB. Shot 10 rounds 5 gr. Unique. Bbl looks like I just cleaned it. Not much smoke, fired @ ~2 sec interval and I could see the target easily (round target). Didn't even notice it until I remembered to check for it. Fired 10 of same CB with Recluse lube. Can hardly see the target and I could see streaking in the bbl. Target was min distance for CCL qual because the range was filled up. 85 deg outside. If Larry or someone with QL could give me press and fps I'd appreciate. As I only have this and 30-30 for cast, I would appreciate any feedback from others in different weather and caliber. The flier on the left was me, I think, but not called. There really are 10 holes in the paper. Not the first shot (5th) - guy next to me was shooting 44mag.
    Last edited by popper; 08-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Banned

You know my reaction, my wife asked me from across the house what was so funny on the internet when I got your first PM, but after a minute it really started to make sense.

So, how about some details? Did you use Jif or what? How about an ingredients list? It would be nice to find some "all natural" stuff with no salt added and maybe put some soy lecithin in it to keep it from separating, then perhaps a spoonfull of soybean oil or a bit of hydrogenated soy "wax"? You might really be on to something here.

Gear

PP-PB, smooth/creamy, right out of the jar. It has salt (get rid of that) but no sugar sweatner. I tried swirling it, then just used my finger to fill the groove. I'd already charged the cases so I just smeared, wiped the base and seated. Wiped the case and noses as I used too much (hard to control). I stored them base down to see if the lube would kill the powder. No problem. I will have to clean the die and don't lick my fingers. I PM'd you that I have heated and frozen the stuff and the viscosity of the oil in the lube doesn't change. It should be good for ~50k psi. If someone has QL please get me info. Gee mom, no mixing, no cooking, no smoke, no lead. The oil lubes (it is a GOOD lube), the peanut powder is the carrier and maybe bore cleaner? I will do more experimenting.

Boolit Master

I've used lithium complex EP grease like that. Messy, but it worked. And I was not tempted to lick my fingers.

Boolit Master
    I do have a jar of Jif on my reloading bench I use for mouse bait,.....................
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Banned

How about this stuff? http://nuts.com/nuts/peanuts/smooth-...d-organic.html

The Peter Pan stuff has "partially hydrogenated cottonseed/rapeseed oils" in it, and no soy lecithin. The hydrogenated oils must be the secret to keeping it homogenized. So perhaps hydrogenated oils like castor wax and soy wax are the answer rather than the lecithin for making boolit lube out of it. I suspect the roasting process does something to the peanut oil, too.

Peanut butter. Freakin' awesome.

Gear

Yes, the partially hydrogenated lube is really good. I spent a week researching it. It's actually better than caster oil and many synthetics. The viscosity curve is almost flat over temp. Steel on steel wear tests give good results also, but DON'T cook it, it will make a triglyceride ring and increase wear. I'll load some near full power loads with unique and 231 tonite to try, plus some PB 30-30 to try, but my results may take a week or so. I think any creamy brand, hydrogenated, without salt and with a soy base would work fine. I started out looking for a substance I could use like a paper patch and this idea struck me like a falling rock. Any field reports would be appreciated. I don't get anything out of this other than possibly a good lube. From the research I can find, it is as good or better than the EP products. The peanut powder may also be the bore seal you've been looking for. I tried alox and COW but it didn't mix at all.

Banned

It does appear to have all the components we're looking for, a temp-stable base, built-in EP lubricant, and stop-leak. I likes it, and am going to try it eventually.

Gear

Boolit Master

Good grief - that's amazing... peanut butter???

With my warped mind, I'm starting to wonder if anyone yet has tried any of the "personal lubricants"...
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Actually, I think it will be like Felix lube with the peanut flower replacing the waxes and acting like COW. Probably, Nutella could be used for those with peanut allergies. Have to run it faster than 900 fps to see how it holds out and figure how much to use. From a cold, clean bbl there was no 1st shot flyer. Need to shoot alox and then these to see if it cleans the junk out of the bbl.

Boolit Master
    Hah! Nice.... Be interesting to see how it does with other loads.

Btw, I dunno about nutella. Peanut butter is pretty stable at room temp for separating. Nutella separates out in my pantry at 70F into oil and solids. I'd suspect the pb might seperate at 90 and above or so?

No, the stuff I tested on hot plate didn't separate till WAY over 150. At ~ 350 the peanut part began to brown and eventually charred. The oil never did smoke. I put a glob n the freezer overnite and it just became non-sticky til it warmed back up. Nutella and other 'organic' stuff does separate. Jif has some really weird stuff in it if my memory is still working. Loaded up some 30-30 the other nite, wasn't too messy, just filled all the lube grooves. Actually quicker than TL. I'm storing base down to see if I get any powder contamination, but I don't expect any. I'm going to do some max H4895 loads but can't get to the range till next wed. The 40 gets the pressure up but not the fps. I use an LED bore light to check for fouling, after 10 shots it looked like I just cleaned it and ran a dry patch through it. 10 with LLA and I can see the streaking. If it survives HV and group tests I might see if I can add something to make it less messy for progressive loading. I use a SS press and it is not really a problem. I wipe the bullet clean so it's not sticky.

That's pretty interesting.

Pretty cheap per lb too.

I'd think that you could spoon it in a lubrasizer and lube that way couldn't you?
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

I'd think that you could spoon it in a lubrasizer and lube that way couldn't you?
    I was thinking that too. Unless it's not stiff enough and would smear out when you eject the boolit.

Boolit Master

Gotta try this...

I would think you could stiffen it up with some lanolin maybe?
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Banned

If it needs stiffening one could just add peanut flour.

Gear

I would really like to see others result's of this. lanolin will soften it. I don't have a lubrisizer so don't know. I did find it to be a solvent for 45/45/10. I think geargnasher is correct, I used PP(canola oil base) for my tests but started my thinking with a white label brand that appeared courser(sorry but I ate that jar of it). I'm not too worried about shelf life of the lube, I go through it too fast. Seriously, it will oxidize (rancid smell) but the process is slow and there isn't much air in a lube groove. Oh, I used ~ a 40 case of it and ~50% was wiped off, for 20 30-30 rnds. I looked at my target with a 20x loop. No lube splatter at all. No goober globs on the end of the bbl either. I suspect the 'smoke' I saw was a mist of lube coming off. geargnasher this chart may be of value to you in your other lube study.
    Last edited by popper; 08-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.

i would think it would give a pleasing odor while shooting.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast