WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Old West Gunmen

Banned

Reading this is not much like reading about gun fights between evenly matched tough guys. Preying on weak defenseless children and charitable pioneers is despicable. My favorite part of this was the smaller horse and smaller determined man riding down the *** and putting an end to a true coward. Frontier life was not for the weak. Stories of Indian savagery were even worse.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Reading this is not much like reading about gun fights between evenly matched tough guys. Preying on weak defenseless children and charitable pioneers is despicable. My favorite part of this was the smaller horse and smaller determined man riding down the *** and putting an end to a true coward. Frontier life was not for the weak. Stories of Indian savagery were even worse.
    Here, here! Agreed.

Banned
    James H. Leavy AKA Jim Levy. The Jewish, Irish gunman.

Some disputation exists as to the spelling of his surname:

"Jim Leavy also wrote a letter to the Pioche Record in the 1870s and signed it "Leavy".

It seems there exists a number of documents (property deeds, etc.) with the Irish spelling "Leavy" but newspapers and some other documents spelled his surname, "Levy", the Jewish spelling, so to speak. I expect that he, himself, more often spelled it "Leavy" but we will refer to him as "Jim Levy". It has often been said about Levy that he survived 16 gunfights in his career and from what I can make of it, I would not doubt it. However, at this late date it would be difficult to prove. I actually believe it based on all I have read of him, but it's belief not provable fact. He was all over the west. But began to get a reputation for his deeds and no-nonsense toughness, in Deadwood, D.T.

A gambler and a gunman, and truly a badaxx.

Well will focus on his late winter gunfight of 1877, a fight with gambler/gunman Charlie Harrison. It was another of those that never really happened, you know, a straight up face-to-face both men drawing almost simultaneously and firing, gunfight. The mythical kind where they agree to meet in the street and shoot it out. . .

In later years Bat Masterson wrote of many of the old timers he knew. The gunfight between Levy and Charlie Harrison was not a subject that I am aware of, but! Bat did know Charlie Harrison. Harrison was well known as a gunman throughout the west as well as a superior gambler. Just for idea of how he rated as a gunfighter here are the words of Bat Masterson concerning Charlie Harrison:

Last edited by Gibson; 12-04-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Banned
    Do you guys recall our sketch on Wild Bill's sunset? Well interesting I found a reference by a an old timer who was in deadwood during the period where he distinctly mentions that Jim Levy had gained a reputation there and that he had killed multiple men. Then he goes on to state that only Wild Bill exceeded his stature at the time Hickok was there. Recall how the good town's business leaders (read whorehouses, gambling dens, and gin swilling joint owners) had feared Wild Bill getting elected or appointed law officer of the town? Remember how they wanted to "get rid off him"?

"Tim Brady and Johnny Varnes, two leaders of the Deadwood underworld, initiated a plot to kill Hickok so he wouldn't be appointed marshal. Jim Levy and Charlie Storms, two noted gunmen, were offered the job but turned it down. Had they known about Hickok's bad eyesight, they might well have accepted."

Levy had come into world in Dublin, Ireland in the year 1842. And as a young man, come to America with his family in 1856.

Jim Levy ended up in Pinoche, Nevada and was there like many, digging for silver. Each day the miners would go into town for a few cold beers and whatever else they could run across. Jim had gone to the Midnight Star Saloon for a couple of beers and as the evening wore on, he stepped outside for a smoke. It was May 30, 1871. He was sitting there as one can imagine, maybe rubbing his brow and contemplating the morning when he heard yelling in the street! A tussle or worse. . .

Two coarse looking men were cursing at each other and gunplay was next.

"Jim was sitting on the front stoop of the Midnight Star Saloon when Michael Casey shot Tom Gasson. He was wounded badly. Gasson lay on his death bed a week before finally passing away. Before he died, he bequeathed $5,000 to any man who would avenge his killing. It was a lot of money. . ."

A coroner's inquest was held and Casey steadfastly maintained that it was a case of self-defense. However, as a witness to affray, Levey was called in to testify. He made it clear that Casey had fired the first shot and it wasn't due to being quicker on the draw.

legendsofamerica.com:

"Afterwards, Casey tracked down Levy at a local store and challenged the unarmed miner to a gunfight. Accepting the challenge, Levy rushed off to obtain a weapon and returned a short while later. In the alley behind the store, the two squared off. Levy called to Casey, then opened fire, grazing Casey’s skull with his bullet. When Casey dived at Levy, Jim fired again, hitting his opponent in the neck. As the wounded man began to fall, Levy hit him over the head with his revolver. In the meantime, a cohort of Casey’s shot Levy in the jaw before running away. Though terribly disfigured and losing several teeth, Levy survived and was arrested for Casey’s murder. However, he was acquitted and released. He also collected on Gasson’s deathbed bequest of $5,000."

Pinoche, Nevada:

It was shortly or immediately after this that Jim decided mining was not his way to fame and fortune but that, just maybe, gambling and "regulating" (selling his gun) just might be.

Mr. Levy began to move about the west. He haunted the mining camps, cowtowns and on occasion the growing cities. It was during period of regulating that his reputation grew, and grew, and grew. In decade, beginning with his killing of Casey, he is said to have survived 16 gunfights. As I stated above, I believe it. One contemporary newspaper, the Leader, referred to him as a "pistoliferous gambler", in its account of the coming 1877 gunfight. There still exist records of him being accused and acquitted of murders during this period. (In 1873, he was charged with the murder of Thomas Ryan, but managed to beat the charge.) We will focus on the Charlie Harrison-Jim Levy gunfight of March 9, 1877, in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Next. . .

Banned
    So, how did the March 9, 1877 showdown, go down?

From James Reasoner's book, "Draw: The Greatest Gunfights of the American West" (Reasoner is a novelist but this is history):

There you go. Harrison was given a reasonable chance to make it but died later never arising. The Leader estimated that his funeral was attended by "a majority of the sporting fraternity, with their wives, and other females."

Eddy Street, where fight took place:

Banned
    Levy's Final Stand OR An old town called Tucson

Levy landed in old Tucson in 1882. He continued his saloon ways: gambling, drinking and continuing to exhibit his no nonsense sullen manner.

On the evening of June 5th Levy was sitting at the faro table of John Murphy, in one of the more upscale saloons, the Fashion Saloon. The two men were at odds almost from the time the game got going. VERY heated words were passed. At some point Murphy became enraged enough that he left the table (he was the dealer). The pair then agreed to "step outside" and settle it with shootin' irons. However NEITHER was armed as firearms were prohibited in the Fashion. So, both decided to get a nights sleep and settle it in the street in the morning. I suppose it was a good idea that the two men have a night to settle things with the Almighty, as one would be seeing Him soon. Murphy left and Jim stuck around a bit.

Now, it appears that Murphy got wind of the badly facially scared gunfighter's reputation. He decided further precautions were in order.

Later that same night, Jim walked out of the Fashion Saloon heading for his room at the Palace Hotel. He was still unarmed. In the dark, out on the street, John Murphy waited with his friends, Dave Gibson and Bill Moyer.

Reasoner:

Gibson, Moyer, and Murphy were captured and charged but, as is often the case in the old days, the somehow managed to break jail and flee. None were ever recaptured nor seen again.

Thus another example of livin' and dyin' old west style

Banned
    Ethos.

Banned
    "Dirty" Dave Rudabaugh tomorrow. . .

Boolit Buddy
    We'll be waiting.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good stuff, Gibson. Those who live by the sword (or gun) have a tendency to die by the same. Goodness knows I saw that occur with frequency during my lawdog days.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    Thanks, guys!

I caught a classic line on Gunsmoke last night.

Old Chills Wills (utterly cool in my book) he said:

"look at that hog leg six shooter, got a hair trigger on it too. . . betcha this thing could shoota mile and then chunk rocks at ya" BWHAHAHAHAHA!

Every time I see him in a western my mind drifts to his terribly unknown performance in an AH Presents episode, i.e., "Don't Interrupt".

Boolit Buddy
    All I can say about yesterday is, Darn it Gibson you about made me late for work. Setting under some of the old trees where long ago people sat and conducted business or other things can make you wander how much life has changed and is it for the better at times. I have set under what is left of an old tree that D, Boone is supposed to have set under talking to Indians and local whites and setteling differances between them. This was at his house in Missouri. My favorit time period is from1750 to 1850. Stories about that time always get me going. As has been stated many time live by the sword die by the sword. What was the ratio of men to women in the old west? It has been said that women stopped the gun play as much as anything else worked to stop the gun play. I guess it means that men had something to live for so they started carring is they lived or died. Keep up the good work. Everytime I come to this thread the words come into my mind,"Stay tuned for the continuing ................." Thank you
    Steve

Banned
    All of the kind words mean a lot from you guys. I hope everyone will chime in because it's clear there are a helluva lot of viewers. Thanks, boys.

BTW: I have one on the Sandbar Fight of 1827, involving the blade man! A no BS tough son of a gun! Jim Bowie was the real thing, no joke.

I also have a long piece on the MMM but I am apprehensive as my views might offend LDS shooters. No point in that.

Okay. It ~ 3:40 pm here so throw on a pot of coffee and get ready for a rip roarin' tale of old. . BUT this is totally uncorrected, it is pasted as typed, a rough draft. Not rough on facts and details but rough in terms of diction, syntax, spelling, aw heck, grammar in general.

Here goes:

Banned
    Dave "Rudabaugh" (we will use that spelling) was a really insular fellow in many ways. He was reported to be husky, and a tall man for the times; he had what seems to me a bit of a bullying persona. He was always a cover your own *** kind of fellow and ALWAYS looked out for his own best interest. But on most occasions he had no issue with taking on the law. He helped his friends and took revenge on people who harmed his friends but if the chips ever got all the ways down he looked out for himself, first. And he would kill mercilessly.

And did.

He was arrested by Bat Masterson; he was friends and outlaw associates with Mysterious Dave Mather; he rode with "The Kid". He was associated other very famous personages like, Holliday, Earp, Garrett, etc.

Let's begin at the beginning and then we'll run quickly towards our main incidents of interest.

"Tough Towns", Smith:

Banned
    Do you guys recall our prior sketch on Mysterious Dave Mather? Good.

[*Mysterious Dave Mather. Not certain if I've posted it here. Mather was another underrated tough guy.He shot it out with FOUR cowboys, solo. They had just slaughtered (proper term considering the lead thrown into his body) lawman (well Hoodoo Brown controlled lawman) Joe Carson. Carson and Mather, as well as Rudabaugh were involved with the "Dodge City Gang". Gunman under the control of JoP Hoodoo Brown. The men named may not have been full fledged member but certainly acted as his muscle. HooDoo and his gang controlled Las Vegas, for the most part.]

Rudabaugh had shown up in Las Vegas after being captured by Bat Masterson and a man we will have occasion to speak of more, shortly, John Joshua Webb, with two others. On January 27, 1878 at Kinsley, Kansas, Rudabaugh and his "gang" attempted a train robbery. However, the robbery went sour and the gang was forced to flee the scene of crime without a dollar of loot. The next day, Dave was captured with Ed West by Bat Masterson and a small posse. The others were captured soon after. It seems Dave and Ed were surprised but attempted to clear leather HOWEVER Bat Masterson threw down on both men and his fellow possemen Webb, cocked his Colt's revolver, looked up at Rudabaugh, and said pleasantly "I wouldn't do that if I was you." Neither man did it. Bat Masterson would have likely killed them both. Rudabaugh, as mentioned earlier, turned on his friends, testified against them and almost literally got the hell out of Dodge. The Kinsley Graphic put it thusly, "Rudabaugh. . .was promised entire immunity if he would squeal, therefore he squole."

The Dodge City Gang was still being headed up by Justice of the Peace Hyman G. Neill, also known as Hoodoo Brown. And our latest badman was smack in the middle of this band of nefarious goons. They were still running roughshod over the entire town. He, along with another VERY tough hombre, John Joshua Webb, were the Las Vegas, New Mexico law. Webb was a policeman with Rudabaugh as his deputy. The Dodge City Gang had free reign. They robbed and they pillaged.

When gang member Joe Carson was killed by three men, Dave, Webb, Mather, Neill, and several other gang members lynched the three killers. Remember how that Mather shot it out with all four of these men after they shot down Carson in the saloon? Mather killed one and shot two others? Well it is the other three that Rudabaugh led the mob that stormed the jail and lynched. "Feb. 7, 1880---A lynch mob comprised of the Dodge City Gang (and including such notables as Dave Rudabaugh, Dave Mather, Hoodoo Brown, and J. J. Webb) storm the Vegas jail and drag out West, Henry, and Dorsey. The three badmen are taken to a large windmill located in the town plaza. There, all three men are lynched."

City most of the "Gang" was associated with:

**"Tough Towns", Smith

Stay tuned. . . the story has a bloody ending

Adios Amigos
    Last edited by Gibson; 12-06-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Banned
    Masterson and Earp:

J.J. Webb made a terrible error in judgement. He overplayed his hand.

In March of 1880, Wyoming cattleman Mike Kelliher came Las Vegas. Mr. Kelliher came in flush with cash as he was there for the sole purpose of purchasing livestock. But Mike made a mistake of allowing it to be noticed by several men that he had a large pile of "cabbage". Word quickly funneled to the Dodge City Gang. They made up a hasty scheme that would not have fooled a blind man because they really didn't care. As I stated, overplayed. . . One of Hoodoo's henchmen spotted Kelliher drinking leisurely in a bar, he walked in and managed to provoke an argument. Of course, two other Gang associates immediately burst in, J.J. Webb being one of them. Webb simply pulls his sixguns and drops Kelliher. The men quickly grabbed his poke and then walked out. Even Hoodoo could not stop the townsfolk's outrage. Webb was arrested and jailed. An angry mob then attempted to storm the jail. But were faced down by the cold courage and pointed sixgun of Mysterious Dave Mather. In short order Webb was tried, convicted, and sentenced to a date with a rope.

J.J. Webb, a real 'hardcase':

From "Lincoln County War", Nolan:

It appears that Dave executed the Deputy Sheriff Lino Valdez. Here's why: " Dave, Allen, and fellow Dodge City Gang member Tom Pickett traveled south to the Fort Sumner area and got work there on the Thomas Yerby ranch as a cover. Allen was eventually shot and killed by Dave, possibly because Dave feared Allen would betray him. " Exactly correct. In my opinion, Rudabaugh, as always, looking out for number one. Getting rid of Allen, gave him another advantage. If caught, Allen was responsible. And that is exactly what happened. He was caught and testified that brave officer Valdaz, when asked for the keys, stated: "You may kill me but I won't give them up". Rudabaugh said Allen replied, "That's easy", and shot him. Rudabaugh turned off the lights forever of both men, is my surmise.

"Dave and Pickett continue on and are hired by Charlie Bowdre to work as ranch-hands on the Yerby ranch. At some point, the pair meet Billy Bonney. Exactly how and where they met Billy is unknown, but it was probably either by Charlie introducing them at the Yerby ranch, or Jim Greathouse introducing them at his way station/saloon, where Billy's gang and Dave and Pickett often frequent. Either way, Billy and Dave decide to ''team-up'' and begin riding together in Billy's rustling gang, with Pickett also joining. Apparently, Billy knows of Dave's infamous reputation as a badman and is wary around him. "

It seems Dave Rudabaugh hooking up with Billy and his guys was sort of a match made in hell.

"Tough Towns", again:

Banned
    Here is a very accurate account of what happened between the posse and the Rudabaugh/Billy the Kid group. From here: http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/billytheki ... logy8.html

"Nov. 27, 1880---Before dawn, a thirteen-man posse from White Oaks, once again led by Will Hudgens and Tom Longworth, surrounds the Greathouse-Kuch way station, which is currently housing Billy, Rudabaugh, and Wilson. Before the sun rises, Constable Longworth rides back to the Oaks to get reinforcements and leaves Hudgens and Dep. Jame Carlyle in charge. When cook Joseph Steck steps outside in the morning, he is grabbed by the posse and told to carry a note inside to the Kid, ordering him to surrender. Billy and gang laugh at this and send Steck back outside with a note asking one of the posse to come inside and discuss their ''terms of surrender.'' Dep. Carlyle volunteers, provided Jim Greathouse come outside and give himself to the posse. Greathouse agrees and comes out and Carlyle goes in. Inside, Carlyle speaks with Billy, while Wilson and Rudabaugh proceed to get drunk at the bar. When Billy looks at Carlyle's hands, he discovers he's wearing a pair of gloves belonging to Billy that he left at the Coyote Springs campsite a few days earlier. Although at first incensed over this, he calms down and resumes his discussion with the deputy. At some point, the outlaws order Carlyle to sit at the bar and have a drink with them. For the next several hours, with their guns trained on him, Rudabaugh and Wilson make the deputy match them drink for drink until he, like them, is drunk. Billy, however, apparently obstains [sic] from the drinking. Meanwhile, Steck carries notes back and forth between Billy and the posse for most of the day. Billy knows that inside the warm ranchhouse, he can easily outlast the posse out in the shivering cold. By 11:00 PM, the posse tires of this and sends Steck inside with a note telling Billy to hand over Carlyle in the next few minutes, or Greathouse will be shot. Billy and the others don't take the threat seriously though, and continue to hold Carlyle. A few minutes later, one of the posse fires a shot in the air. Thinking Greathouse has been killed, Carlyle leaps through a nearby window and ends up being shot three times, either by the outlaws or by his own startled posse. He staggers a few feet, then collapses, dead in the snow. A short time later, the posse withdraws and rides back to town. Greathouse, who was unharmed by the posse, along with Steck and Fred Kuch mount their horses and ride to the nearby Spencer ranch, fearing the posse will return. Billy, Rudabaugh, and Wilson, however, remain at the station for the night. On the same day, the Texas cowboys being led by Bob Roberson arrive in Anton Chico and proceed to spend their time gambling and getting drunk as they await Siringo's arrival."

What's this guy's name?

A dapper, Garrett:

Looking at the characters involved, I figure IF he was killed by the outlaws THEN it was likely Rudabaugh or the Kid or even more likely, both. The Kid, Rudabaugh and the others made good their escape. But freedom was short lived.

"On Dec. 19, 1880, while Dave, Billy, Bowdre, Pickett, Wilson, and Tom Folliard were riding into Fort Sumner, Sheriff-elect Pat Garrett and his posse opened fire on them. In the melee, O'Folliard was killed as was Dave's horse. A few days later, on Dec. 23, 1880, Dave, Billy, Pickett, and Wilson were captured and Charlie Bowdre killed by Pat Garrett and his posse. They were taken back to Las Vegas, where a mob had gathered for the purpose of lynching Dave for the murder of Dep. Valdez. The Garrett posse stood off the mob though and Dave, the Kid, and Wilson were taken by train to Santa Fe. There, in February 1881, Dave was indicted on two charges of robbing the U. S. mail in connection to the stage robberies, and one charge of attempted mail robber in connection with the train robbery. He pleaded guilty to all charges and was sentenced to ninety-nine years in prison. He was then tried in Santa Fe on the murder charge of Lino Valdez, was found guilty, and sentenced to death by hanging, with the date slated as May 20, 1881. He was reunited with Webb in jail and after one very unsuccessful escape attempt in which one fellow prisoner was killed, the pair eventually escaped with a few others."

Garrett was a REAL rough customer. Highly underrated as a no nonsense gunfighter/lawman.

Image: The abandoned rock house about 16 miles east of Old Fort Sumner said to have been built by Alejandro Perea, in which Billy the Kid, Charlie Bowdre, Billy Wilson, Tom Pickett, and Dave Rudabaugh sought refuge on the night of December 22, 1880, after Sheriff Pat Garrett's posse surprised the gang as they came into Old Fort Sumner, in the snow on the night of December 19, and shot Tom O'Folliard. On the morning of December 23, 1880, Charlie Bowdre was shot as he appeared at the door of the rock building to feed his horse. Long ago this rock house was torn down and the rocks used elsewhere. (Source: This photo and info appeared on the front cover of the 1995 Outlaw Gazette. The Outlaw Gazette is published annually by the Billy the Kid Outlaw Gang.)

Rudabaugh flees to Mexico. (He possibly, no, likely, stopped off in Tombstone and joined "the Clanton Gang during the infamous Earp-Clanton feud. Dave possibly [likely] participated in the attempted assassination of Virgil Earp and the assassination of Morgan Earp. He was very probably in the gunfight at Iron Springs in which Wyatt Earp killed Curly Bill Brocius. . ."

Stay tuned for a short but violent ending.

Possible image of Rudabaugh:

[img]http://canteymyerscollection.com/gallery/2_08_08_11_5_00_56.jpeg[/img

Banned
    Rudabaugh drifted into the area of Parral, Chihuahua, Mexico. He caught on at a few local ranches 'cowboying' but as a side job he and his associates- rustlers friends- were rustling his employers' cattle. After being fired in early 1886, Dave became even more sullen, almost morose. He rode into Parral and for all intents and purposes bullied the entire town. No one dared to stop him. At first. . .

On the chilly winter night of February 18, 1886, Dave sat in a cantina in Parral gambling. When the locals apparently tired of abuse from Dave decided to stand up to him, all hell broke loose. Two local men looked up and called Dave out for cheating- no doubt, he was. In true gunfighter fashion all three men cleared leather and commenced blazing away. Sad thing is, the Mexicans were no match for a rattlesnake like Rudabaugh. He shot one through the head and the other through the heart. Both men, DEAD RIGHT THERE. Dave calmly turned and walked out to get on his horse. In all that happened and the darkness, for some reason, Dave could not locate his horse. He walked back into the cantina but now it was in total darkness. He was then set upon by a mob of patrons. Who eventually severed his head and paraded it around town.

A slightly different version, from "Tough Towns":

The Photo:

Thus ends the life of Arkansas Dave Rudabaugh. . .

Banned
    There ya go!

Sorry I took so long in getting this pic I said I would.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4583.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	55376