MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: wanting a single shot fun to shoot rifle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    Wow, I didn't know there were that many different types of single shot rolling block type rifles. I'm starting to get a couple candidates together. Keep em coming fellas.
    Technically most of the ones discussed are falling blocks rather than rolling blocks, but they are all pretty neat. I shoot Sharps, Winchester, and CPA single shots and love them all. It'd be nice to have a Ballard though......

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    Yes, like a Martini.
    Another vote for the Martini, from 22RF to 577 Snider

Last edited by Bad Ass Wallace; 11-09-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I have Browning 78, M1885, Ruger #1 & #3, Martini Cadet. I have as much 'fun' with the H&R as with any. I have H&R in .22 Hornet, .270 Hornet (wildcat), 40-30 (wildcat) 30-30; 500 S&W, .357, .357 Maximumw, .44 Magnum, 44 Super magnum.

For fun the lighter guns are more practical. I shoot 357 and 357 Max and 44 Magnum and 44 Supermagnum the most.

BTW I had to have that shoulder surgery last year after it got to where I could not raise my right arm high enough to shave or comb my hair. I have been shooting for well over 50 years. I was never bothered by recoil even from the Magnum calibers including 7mm Magnum and .458 Magnum or so I thought. The fact that it didn't hurt did not mean it was hurting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Ruger #1 in 357 Mag, what a hoot and cheap to shoot

No recoil

FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Like one of these

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=300757168

Mike

YES!

I own one of those. It is VERY nice.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered a handi in 500sw should get fri.
    Terry

Boolit Grand Master
    As silly as it sounds, I have more fun shootin' my little H&R .223 than I can get a permit for. I dunno, every time I look at it, it jus' says "C'mon, Jim, let's go play!"

A primer, 3 grains of Bullseye and 50 grains o' lead and I'm havin' more fun than a kid with his first 22. I even put a light an' a sling on it so I could use it to kill 'coons with!

I'm in lust with the Browning Low Wall .45 Colt

With a slip-on recoil pad for prolonged shooting, your shoulder should shine as much as your smile.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Since you put the emphicise on FUN and mention having shoulder problems why not a 22 hornet, 218 bee, or 25/20 or something like that.
    For just fun shooting the hornet is hard to beat. 150 boolits to the pound of lead and 1000 shot per pound of powder makes them a lot of fun for the money.
    They can also be put to some serious hunting use as well.
    The 22 hornet was the original poachers pet during the former depression and may become popular in the current one.
    If you decide to mess with black powder you would then be shooting a 22 wcf.
    +1 on cartridge choices.

I have an assortment of single shot rifles and love them all. My favorites are a three pre-1900 manufactured guns that I restored/converted. One is an 1880s Marlin-Ballard chambered for a 32 centerfire cartridge; the other 2 are low-walls, one chambered is 218 Mashburn Bee and the other chambered in 38 Special. I have a Star roller chambered in a wildcat...30 Badger...that is a 38 Special necked down to 30 caliber. Also have an H&R chambered in 30 Badger. I cut down 2 Model 95 Mausers years ago and they are both single shots: one in 218 Mashburn Bee and the other in 22 Super Jet. A Martini Cadet in 357 Mag also is in my safe. Then there are a couple bigger calibers, one is a 45-60 on a break-action and the other is 38-55 on a Martini/Greener action. I also possess
    a Pedersoli 40-65 that is a hoot. Then there is the Contender carbine in 17 HRM and a Model 23 in 25-20 along with a H&R Handi in 22 hornet.

MY suggestion is to find something in a pistol cartridge for just plain fun. One can load them mild to wild and have a lot of fun with little recoil and a lot of accuracy. There is something very cool about a single shot when it comes to just good old fun.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    A question:

What is the difference in case length and capacity between a 45 long colt and a 45-70? Please excuse the dumb question, but I've never owned an reloaded for a rimmed cartridge in my life.

Boolit Master

I have a new baby rolling block in 357 mag. Have not shot it yet, but it looks exactly like my 30-30 rolling block that I am in love with. I also have contender single shots in 32-20, 6.8spc, 7TCU, and others my old feeble mind simply will not recall this am. All but the 6.8 are shot with lead boolits and provide more fun and entertainment than I can express....
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    A question:

What is the difference in case length and capacity between a 45 long colt and a 45-70? Please excuse the dumb question, but I've never owned an reloaded for a rimmed cartridge in my life.
    the 45-70 case is 2.1 "long and can hold 70 grains of black powder. The 45 long Colt is 1.28 and commonly was loaded with 40 grains of black powder. You would need different cartridge holders and dies to reload the two as they also differ in other dimensions.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Thank you Strawhat, tells me a lot about the two cartridges. I'm guess both shoot "arcs" rather than being flat shooting, so a good adjustable rear sight could be critical to accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    I'm in lust with the Browning Low Wall .45 Colt

With a slip-on recoil pad for prolonged shooting, your shoulder should shine as much as your smile.

That, like so many posted in this thread, is a fine looking rifle.

Boolit Master
    Thank you Strawhat, tells me a lot about the two cartridges. I'm guess both shoot "arcs" rather than being flat shooting, so a good adjustable rear sight could be critical to accuracy.
    Yes, they both have rainbow trajectories but that is a part of the charm. While I have adjustable sights on some of my rifles, rather than constantly fiddling with the sights, I hold off the correction I think is needed and fire. A good way to get used to this is to settle on one load and then leave the paper targets and bench. Walking in the woods or fields and shooting targets of opportunity, where you estimate the range and use field positions, is a good way to get to know a rifle, a cartridge and your limitations.

Of the two cartridges mentioned, the 45 long Colt in a lightweight single shot would be a lot of fun. If you can find one load that shoots well in your revolver and rifle it would be even better! I load with blcak powder and find the old ballistics to be perfect for this continent. The mini Sharps I mentioned has been used to take buffalo. Not bad for a revolver cartridge.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

I have to agree with Strawhat that the slow rainbow trajectories is part of the fun.

I just started shooting at longer distances last summer with a .38-55 rolling block set up with the vernier style tall rear peep. Hitting the steel rams at 280 yards in one event pretty much introduced me to this style and the "patience" that is needed. I'd shoot at the ram, hold my sight picture and the trigger back for a half second then lift my eye away from the rear sight. It took all of that before the ram started to tip back and over.... Later I calculated that the flight time of the bullet was a little over a half second assuming a muzzle speed of 1500 fps. Sort of gives a guy time to have a sip o' tea before looking to see if the target is beginning to fall.... At least that's what it felt like

And if you're seriously considering some of the old original black powder cartridges either with black or smokeless I'll just toss in another recomendation for a .38-55. I've got to shoot a few 45-70 Sharps rifles that belong to the others in my Cowboy Action group. A few shots is fine. But a busy day of shooting? Not for me. They still smack with some pretty good authourity. And for a guy like you with "some gravel" in the shoulder? I'd have to say that you'd like a .38-55 over a .45-70 by a LONG SHOT. In my 12 lb rolling block/Shiloh barreled rifle it's got a nice soft push which would be all day fun for anyone other than the most sensitive of shoulder injury/damage.

I've also got an Encore with a scope. But likely I'll be selling it soon. I found that using a scope and high velocity rounds is just a little too much like cheating. But shooting long range with the target peep and globe sights setup has the juices stirring up to boiling Each time I go to check out the target it's almost like Christmas morning!

It would be a whole other story if I were a hunter. In such a case the Encore and scope or a Ruger #1 with scope would be the way to go. Or for close in conditions perhaps a Lyman or Marples low mount peep on such a rifle. In that case it's all about getting that ethical kill and the least risk of a long search for a wounded animal. But for range giggles? Me and my peep sighted rolling block are Best Buds....

Boolit Master

Two years ago I got a new Win (Miroku) Model 1885 HiWall in 38-55 cal. With very little experimenting, it is incredibly accurate with 250 gr LBT LFN's. I haven't shot it past 100 yards, but it really is fun, and the recoil isn't bad at all. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    Two years ago I got a new Win (Miroku) Model 1885 HiWall in 38-55 cal. With very little experimenting, it is incredibly accurate with 250 gr LBT LFN's. I haven't shot it past 100 yards, but it really is fun, and the recoil isn't bad at all. enjoy Mike

DITTO.

I like the Lyman 375248 and the LEE 379-250. I keep loads around 1400 fps.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

What's the trajectory of 30-40 like?

What's the trajectory of 30-40 like?
    For equal boolit weights, somewhere between .30-30 and .308, assuming a strong action. Some people want to equate it with the .303 British. The plus of the .30-40 is that it can be and usually is loaded with heavier boolits than the .30-30 will handle. Lyman 311284 is the canonical load, but 311299 also works well. Both are about 200 grains.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy

one shot shooter

Encore with a custom 20 inch 30-06 barrel low dose of unuiqe/311291 or 311299 one hole groups at 50 yards.Contender with a custom 30-30 ack imp with same powder and 311291 16 1/4 barrel same results . Im now looing at the mouse fart loads listed on this forum using a LBT 130 gr for a low noise load for front yard tks ken

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast