Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting lead out ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    a couple of full house jwords will take care of it.

does it affect accuracy? if not forgetaboutit
    I fired several J-words afterwords, lead is still there.
    Accuracy seems fine so I'm going to try to live with it.
    If it gets out of hand I'll just rebarrel the sucker to .308 or 30-06
    The thing about Mausers is they are simple to rebarrel
    Last edited by hylander; 11-10-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    If I encounter a barrel with lead in it the easiest way I have found to clean it out is to first wet the bore with a good solvent. Seems best if it has amonia like Sweets or Barns CR-10 but shooters choice or something like it will work as well or even Kroil.
    Give the solvent time to soak but heed the instructions of the maker.
    Then fire a few low pressure rounds with boolits that are .001 to .002" over groove diameter.
    If the barrel is real bad it might take a couple tries.
    This generally gets the lead out and then normal cleaning will have the barrel shiney.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    If I encounter a barrel with lead in it the easiest way I have found to clean it out is to first wet the bore with a good solvent. Seems best if it has amonia like Sweets or Barns CR-10 but shooters choice or something like it will work as well or even Kroil.
    Give the solvent time to soak but heed the instructions of the maker.
    Then fire a few low pressure rounds with boolits that are .001 to .002" over groove diameter.
    If the barrel is real bad it might take a couple tries.
    This generally gets the lead out and then normal cleaning will have the barrel shiney.
    I'll give that a try
    I have some .325 bullets on the way, they are lubed with Lyman super molly lube and gas checked if that matters.

Boolit Master
    Well after trying evrything and really getting the bore light in there, I beleive it is not lead build up but I must have used some combination of chemicals and etched the bore some how
    My fault totally I think
    I just got overzealous I guess.
    Today I fired 12 more rounds, accuracy was not good.
    Then cleaned and fired 15 rounds of Jacketed rounds, accuracy also was not the best but much better than the cast.
    Got home cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, talk about copper fouling
    After cleaning I hand lapped the barrel but it is still rough.
    I will give it one more try at the range and if it still is not good I am going to rebarrel this Mauser to 30-06 with a quality barrel and call it a day.

Boolit Master
    If it makes you feel any better, I'd still bet you didn't etch or damage the surface of the bore. I think it may be more like I posted on my previous post about "something else".
    I've seen bores that were pretty good looking (and shooting) until all the corrosion, lead, copper, carbon mixture was cleaned off. Then the reveal! Under that extremely hard mixture, many times, are areas of lost bore surface steel- in other words pitting. Likely been there for years. I think if you had hooked up one of the electrical cleaning systems you would have discovered the same thing in one overnight session. Good luck on the re-barrel.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Banned

Thats what acid will do.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Well after trying evrything and really getting the bore light in there, I beleive it is not lead build up but I must have used some combination of chemicals and etched the bore some how
    My fault totally I think
    I just got overzealous I guess.
    Today I fired 12 more rounds, accuracy was not good.
    Then cleaned and fired 15 rounds of Jacketed rounds, accuracy also was not the best but much better than the cast.
    Got home cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, talk about copper fouling
    After cleaning I hand lapped the barrel but it is still rough.
    I will give it one more try at the range and if it still is not good I am going to rebarrel this Mauser to 30-06 with a quality barrel and call it a day.
    I'd go the other direction, 35 Whelen is what I plan to rebarrel my 8x57 to when I get around to it.

what best removes lead in my barrels is Xelene or Xelene/toluene, 75/25. wet the bore well, wait a couple of min. then start pushing the lead out. it will come out in strings. the stuff goes right threw any pore and wets the barrel itself so, the lead gives up it's grip.

frank

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Xelene is benzene spiked with methyl radicals, making benzene dramatically more mobile. Will go through your skin without even trying. Treat with utmost respect. Prolly the best wax killer in existence. Just about every Xelene form is a king of the known creepy-crawlers. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I'd still bet you didn't etch or damage the surface of the bore. I think it may be more like I posted on my previous post about "something else".
    I've seen bores that were pretty good looking (and shooting) until all the corrosion, lead, copper, carbon mixture was cleaned off. Then the reveal! Under that extremely hard mixture, many times, are areas of lost bore surface steel- in other words pitting. Likely been there for years. I think if you had hooked up one of the electrical cleaning systems you would have discovered the same thing in one overnight session. Good luck on the re-barrel.
    Yep; looks to be pitting, the frosting type the MOsins seem to always have.
    The good: after lapping I get no leading to speek of.
    The Bad: Accuracy is not good and it Copper fouls very easy.
    The Cure: I'm rebarreling to .308 or 30-06, I couldn't make up my mind yet so I ordered both barrels
    Should have both by next weekend. The .308 barrel is a NOS Nowegian and the 06 is a Wilson, both are Military contour.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    what best removes lead in my barrels is Xelene or Xelene/toluene, 75/25. wet the bore well, wait a couple of min. then start pushing the lead out. it will come out in strings. the stuff goes right threw any pore and wets the barrel itself so, the lead gives up it's grip.

frank
    Use this stuff only outdoors, away from any flame source, and ideally use nitrile gloves and an organic vapor cartridge filter mask -- xylene and toluene are fairly toxic (brain, kidney, and liver damage, as I recall) and both are either known or suspected carcinogens.

Not saying don't use 'em -- everything will kill you (ever seen the MSDS for water?) -- just take reasonable precautions. Personally, I'd rather die of a massive stroke than from cancer...

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Xelene is benzene spiked with methyl radicals, making benzene dramatically more mobile. Will go through your skin without even trying. Treat with utmost respect. Prolly the best wax killer in existence. Just about every Xelene form is a king of the known creepy-crawlers. ... felix
    mmmmmmm, then you know it's good stuff

i didn't know that it was a product of benezene. can i add it to my tank to raise the octane?

frank

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yeah, octane will be raised. So will the Irish of your motor oil. ... felix
    felix