WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Dried Chilies?

Boolit Master

Dried Chilies?

Went into the cupboard this morning looking for ingrediants to make a pot of Chili. Didn't have any Chili powder, but did have some dried Chilies in the 'fridge I had purchased several months ago.

I opened up four good size dried chilies and discarded the seeds, then cut the chilies up into small squares, put them in some warm water and into the blender. I then dumped the resultant mixture in the crock pot with the other usual ingredients.

Is this a suitable replacement for the chili powder I usually use?

Does the amount sound about correct?

Don't know yet how it will turn out, because it's got a couple of hours yet to cook.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Yes it works very well for making chili it depends some on the chilies, I use Serrano peppers I dry myself for the chilies part, chili powder usually has small amounts other ingredients, like cumin and oregano 1/2tsp each with the chilies will make a small batch of chili.
    For a better mix use some of your tomato ingredient in a blender then toss in the chilies with or without the seeds and blend till they are finely ground, smells really good, then add mix to your chili pot.
    32ideal

Boolit Master

Serrano peppers tend to be just a bit on the hot side for me but do love the flavor. For a milder version we dry down Anaheims and then treat them as 32 ideal says.
    Actually either one is not quite exactly the same as purchased chili powder but either one will make a excellent plus chili !!!!!

Facta non verba

Banned

for dried chili's i like the tomato and some olive oil in the blender thing.
    i can taste it as i go,and add a few of the seeds in as i need them.
    don't usually need seeds with the ghost peppers they usually do well with a bit of extra salt and sometimes a bit of sugar [brown] will bring the flavor without more heat.
    the gypsies can stand a little black pepper back up to bring the flavor out without so much heat too.

Boolit Grand Master

The peppers are fine, but you need cumin as well.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    This one is pretty simple, but it will work. http://southernfood.about.com/od/sea...r/bl30420j.htm

Later you can try seeding, roasting, and grinding mild, medium, and hot chilies together for a good balance. Alton Brown's recipe is a good start for something with a little more personality.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Just make sure you use quality ingredients. I used to get mine from a local grower, but he retired and moved in with a former exotic dancer. For some reason he doesn't have time to garden anymore. I haven't found a descent substitute for his cross pollinated chilies. It just doesn't have the same zing now.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    Thanks, all for your imput. I have learned something.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I forgot to add this. Roasting dried chilies brings the flavors out. I use an old Oster blender to grind mine. The ones with the removable cutter will fit mason jars. This keeps you from being gassed when you grind them. Another good idea is to wear surgical gloves so you won't coat your hands with capsaicin. If you do, you'll want to remove it before rubbing your eyes, nose, or using the facilities. Put a little bit of vegetable oil on your hands before you wash them. It will help emusify the oils.

http://www.oster.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=2925

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

All good advice. If you live where the grocery stores stock a lot of dried chilies, poblanos and guajillos and chipotles (smoked jalapenos) make a great combo. Cover them with boiling water and let them sit until softened, then blend just as you did with yours. Add garlic and cumin to taste. I also like a little of the asian sweet chili sauce in my red.

Boolit Master
    having grown bushes of all sorts of chilies years ago, I smoked a ton of them dry, they ground them in an old coffee grinder. Excellent chili powder for all kinds of cookins'