MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work Boots

Work Boots

What do you wear?

I use http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-De...of-Work-Boots/

These are over year old now & don't leak. My boots take a beating in the brush while limbing trees & cutting them to length. I've tried different boots but for something to beat up in the woods I find these to work for me. I've had foot surgery & the large box toe is that which I need.

Boolit Master

West Coast Shoe (WESCO.com) company. Fit my wide, thick feet perfectly. Very tough boots and the company will repair/rebuild them.

Expensive, but I never had a pair last less than 5 years.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

LAH, try White's Boots in Spokane, WA they build the best boot I have come across. They cost a few bucks but are money well spent when a man has to make his living standing in his boots.

Boolit Master
    Lah,

The boot I would not buy is Danner!!!!!!!

Over the years, I have had at least 5 or 6 pairs of Danner and only one gave what I thought was good service.

OK if I thought so poorly of them, why did I continue to buy them?

Simple, working at Washington State Univ. steel toe boots were required and they paid for them.

The boot wagon came around once or twice a year and I'd get a new set whenever I was able.

The type I now have, I am on the 4th pair. One set was so bad early on that the local dealer sent them back and Danner sent me a replacement.

The leather was so bad - these are "off shore" production, China as I recall, and the leather was so bad that when the boots got nicked, the leather would begin to peal off.

The leather has not been good on any of these boots

All of these four sets of boot have eaten boot laces like candy, being lucky of I got 3 weeks from new laces before I start knoting the breaks.

The eye lets are sharp and simply cut the laces VERY rapidly to pieces.

These are over 200dollar boots.

Also, although the sole is a "vibrum" (SP?) brand but not the old waffle stomper kind and they are death warmed over in the woods. Step on a snow covered stick and your feet are gone! Nothing like the origional sole.

AS was said above, Whites boots are good. Pricy but good. There is also Nicks boots again made in Spokane that have a good rep. I think that Nick once worked for Whites

Then I have heard that a brand, "H&H" was good. Just what I have heard.

I am currently using a set of Cabela's logger style boots which have given good service. The Danners, the last set I got just before I retired -retirement gift - are junker boots for who cares use, but not woods boots in anything like Fall or Winter weather.

Personally I have found boots which have cloth sewn to leather are problems as it seems the stitching or the cloth never lasts. Very comfortable, but not long lasting.

All that to say this, don't buy Danner unless they are US made and you have a local dealer with a willingness to back you up.

One good thing about the Danners is, I get lots of short boot lace pieces to take when hunting to tie off the bung when gutting critters. Guess even Danners have one good feature.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 11-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

I'll second Nick's boots in Spokane. He used to work for White's but branched off on his own over 20 years ago. Both make a great quality boot and still offer custom built boots and will rebuild them. You get what you pay for.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

CDOC, I used one old lace scrap for probably over a hundred bungers, butt then one eve I must've left it tied to the "hole" and lost it. Butt, alas, now I just use a haytwine. JW

Boolit Master
    Hey there Ideeeeho Mule,

Your right over the hill from me.

How is your hunting going this year"

Crusty Dreary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy
    I've had very good boots from Thorogood, just saying...

Skinny

Ive been using Red Wings for the last few years for work,For warm weather hunting and just working around the house Ive had a set of Danners for about 15 yrs now.Ive tried the Rocky work boots and really dont like them for the type of work environment I'm in.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

Boolit Master

I have 3 pair of Redwings. Got the first pair 8 years ago, still wearin' them. All 3 pair are waterproof. Started out being for the motorcycle, were so comfortable they became everyday wear.

Banned

I used to wear Rocky's when they were made here. Not anymore. The last pair I bought, I went pheasant hunting one day and the bottom fell off of one boot about halfway through the day. I took them back and got a pair of Danner ProngHorns and have had them for about 11 years now. They have been the best pair of boots I have ever had. I wear these every day in the winter. I spray them down with silicone 2x's ever year. I'm going to have to replace them soon as they are getting a little slick on the bottom.

Banned
    Since, once again, someone had the bad manners to drag politics into a non-political discussion, I'll say that I prefer goods made overseas.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Politics? I don't see it.

Brand isn't all that important to me, fit is. I have a hard time finding a comfortable boot. I should really get a custom boot, if I can find one of the listed vendors that will make me a pair with around 1000 grams thinsulite for a hunting boot.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I wore a lot of wesco boots out when I worked the high lead yarders , and cutting , had them custom measured at the plant in scappoose , never got 2 pair that were made quite the same , but they were still decent caulk boots , grizzlys custom fit in about 1987 were the best fitting , to bad they went out of business, viberg out of canada was another good boot , but the best out of the box I wore in vibram soles were Chippewa, and I have had whites also and they were decent though the pair I got the stitching went out , was cheaper to have them sewed at a shoe repair ,Though it is getting harder to find boot and shoe repair shops , and the red wings I wore were good boots , My next pair of boots for work will be Chippewa again .

I don't believe you can have a hunting boot and work boot combination, except maybe a work boot and in early season small game brush busting combo. When it comes to deer hunting I usually have three pair of boots, one for hot weather, one for medium weather, and one for cold or real wet hunting. The best boot I ever wore was Herman Survivor WaterProofs.

Boolit Master

Rockys for hunting.
    For work I wear Red Wings. I go thru a pair every 3-4 months. They are metatarsals. Only boots i've found that my feet can handle.

I had a pair of Red Wings once while working in the oil business. They were great boots. Think I'll find a dealer & see if I can find a pair which fit me. Like I said, the foot operation makes fit more important than ever.

Boolit Master

You mean there are boots other than Redwings?

Seriously I have worked outdoors and in the coal mines since 1968 and IMHO nothing beats Redwings, the only boots that feel better than a new pair of Redwings is an old pair of Redwings!

Boolit Master

Redwings i can get about 3 years out of a pair
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast