Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: 6.5 cruise missle

6.5 cruise missle

got one of them D/C molds from Midsouth, now what do I try it in first?
    I have the long and medium length Swede,several carcanos,and a m95 Chilean mauser rebarreled with a new swede barrel and two fo the old Italian vetterlis.
    decisions, decisions !!

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Super Moderator

............Whatever you decide on, try 10grs of Unique.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus
    I've got one of those Midsouth 2 bangers winging its way across the pond to me now.

Been shooting some 140 gn 6.5s from a previous Group Buy mould, I think, that garandsrus kindly sent over to me, they've done good at 50 yrds with 11 gns Unique so a tad less as Buckshot says for the heavier bullet is what I'll try when the Midsouth jobby lands.

Hope to try the 140gn boolits at longer ramges this weekend along side a Lyman 266469 which casts a bit undersize for my military rifles, but hope rather than reason springs eternal with me on these, well at least 'till I see hoo they dae.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus
    BTW what diameter have these Midsouth 6.5 Lees been dropping at with WW metal?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    Been shooting some 140 gn 6.5s from a previous Group Buy mould, I think, that garandsrus kindly sent over to me, they've done good at 50 yrds with 11 gns Unique so a tad less as Buckshot says for the heavier bullet is what I'll try when the Midsouth jobby lands.
    Dromia,

Glad to hear that the boolits are working out for you... They are from the 6.5 Jumptrap mold and sized in a Buckshot .268 sizer with Speed Green lube. I don't know when the group buy ran as I bought the mold from another member here.

Hopefully the current 6.5 mm group buy will work out as well or better. It should...

John

Moderator Emeritus
    John, I'll be taking the camera to the range and will email you a report of the weekends achievements.

Pukka Bundhooks

Yes sir, 10 grains of Unique is a good start.

My 91/38 Carcano short rifle has a pitted fat bore of .268 and a deep throat so the cruise missile at .269" at maximum magazine length is need. Got the following results at 50 yds, double dipped in Lee Alox, no gas checks:

Next step is to go out to 100 yds and tune the load a bit more,

Nels

For the record, Gents
    I just bought ( a week ago) a Cruise Missile mould from Midsouth and love/hate the thing already, and I've only fired 24 of them so far.... aahhh, Karlina...
    Mine is a new production, 2 cavity mould and is as follows:
    #1 Weight; 172 of WW w/2% tin added, before check and lube
    #2 Drop as cast Diam; .270 inches
    #3 hold a Hornady GC great, mould is one of the easiest I have to use. I have 8 other Lee moulds to compare.
    I size mine to .268, lube w/homemade lube in a Ly 450. Mine cast so hard that when I tried to bend a boolit with pliers, it broke at the crimp groove after deflecting about 10*. HTH,
    Jon H in AZ
    Last edited by sledgehammer; 07-02-2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: an uhhoohhh
    If it doesn't fit, DON'T force it! Get a bigger HAMMER.

Super Moderator

...............BTW, experiment with leaving some lube grooves empty. When the group buy moulds came in and a lot of guys were experimenting they found (fairly universally) that filling all the lube grooves was not a good thing.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Last Sept I ordered the Scud missle mold from Mid-South and when I got back in country this last april, I set about making ammo for my Swed.

This is my first adventure with the Swed and the Scud mold so any advise about where to start and what to avoid would be helpful. I have read the posts about 1700fps being the ceiling for this cartridge because of the twist. But what is this about the lube grooves? Not filling all of them?

The rifle has a 17" barrel, peep sights and a walnut stock. (It was a real bargain).

Thanks for the help....
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight