RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with 270 Win J words for black bear

Boolit Buddy

Help with 270 Win J words for black bear

Please first let me state that I DO NOT want this to turn into a argument over the 270 being enough for black bear. I need help choosing the best bullet from what I have.

This is a last minute trip decision, that I may not have the chance to do again.

Through my trading and buying I have ended up with the following bullet choices:

Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting Bullets:
    130 gn
    140 gn
    150 gn

I already have a load I use for the 130's for whitetail.

I also have these bullets:

Speer Grand Slam 130 gn

Sierra Flat base spitzers in 130 gn

Now, I am not trying to sound cocky, but I am a good shot with my remington 7600 270. I have not missed a deer in 10 years with it, whether standing at up to 150 yards or running full bore across a field at 140 yards (don't get to many long shots around here). I also know some people do not like Ballitic tips. I have had nothing but good success with them. Typically one shot kills except for my buck from last year and that was with remington premier ballistic tips. Every whitetail I have shot with the noslers does not make it far, if they go anywhere at all. My load, in my rifle, with the 130 grain Noslers will group 3 shots in 5/8" at 100 yards.

Now, where I will be bear hunting is in north central pa. It is not as open as where I deer hunt on farm lands in south central pa. I only expect a shot of less than 100 yards.

I cannot afford to go buy a $50 box of bullets right now. Christmas is coming and the kids are not going to be happy to open boxes of reloading supplies.

Which one of these will be my best choice?

Banned

do the bt's penetrate through a deer?
    if so they will penetrate a black bear no problem.
    if not i'd use the grand slams.

i would like to get some reloading stuff for christmas or bout any other time.

Myself, I'd go with the 150s.
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

Boolit Buddy
    Lol. Me too. My 5 year old step daughter might like it.

I haven't recovered any of the nosler bt's. The remington premier first shot failed to expand. When straight through and the buck ran about 75 yards and collapsed. It was a close shot maybe 40 yards.

One of the smaller doe I shot at 140 yards had a complete pass through and most of her lungs were on the ground opposite of where I was shooting.

Every deer I can remember using the noslers on has been a complete pass through.

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking the 150's too at first. Supposedly they have a heavier jacket.

Would adding a cannelure help at all?

Boolit Master
    The 270 is one fine caliber- so no argument from me. Like any of them it depends on more than coffee shop talk. Of all the bullets you listed the Grand Slam is the best bullet for the job. A better bullet would be a premium 150 that you don't have. The BT is NOT a premium, controlled expanding bullet. If you still want to use the 150 BT then slow the thing down a little- you'll get much better large game performance. In the end it's your choice on doing the best job of cleanly killing whatever you are hunting. I've seen BTs perform poorly on game, especially at higher impact velocities. Yet some swear by small caliber, high velocity, high wow factor performance. Whatever
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master
    Everything Fouronesix said is right spot on. I've kilt a passel of deer with BT in both 270 and 25/06 and have seen a few go bad ,hit neck bone take a sharp turn and take out a complete front shoulder. Bear are a lot tougher bone wise I've seen a few kilt and I would use the Grand slams they may be lighter than the heavy BT but are a much more skookum bullit.

Boolit Buddy
    Well it looks like I'm gonna go with the grand slams. I've never shot anything but 130's out of my 270 so maybe I should just stick with them and trade the higher grain stuff for something else I need.

Thanks guys!

Banned

contrary to what you hear black bear arent hard to kill. Ive seen more tenasity in whitetail deer then in black bear. Any 130 or heavier 270 bullet is MORE then enough to kill a black bear under 300 lbs. If you live where 500lb bears are common then maybe you should consider a premium bullet.

Boolit Master
    150s all the way and good luck!

Boolit Buddy
    There are supposedly 3 in the area that are 500lbs or better but the majority are 150 to 300. I really don't want to shoot a 500 lber! I have no clue how two of us would get it out of there! We do have a friend up there that is a local and he's been keeping an eye on the bears for us

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xd4584 View Post
    Well it looks like I'm gonna go with the grand slams. I've never shot anything but 130's out of my 270 so maybe I should just stick with them and trade the higher grain stuff for something else I need.

Thanks guys!
    I think you have made a wise choice, I had rather use a lighter better constructed bullet than another just because it is heavier.You have already been shooting the 130 grainers and you expect a shot less than 100 yards.Sounds like you already have a good load worked up for it so seems like a no brainer for me.Congratulations on the trip and Good luck.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

One of the nice things about the .270 that's rarely mentioned:

Every single .270 bullet is designed and constructed to operate within it's velocity window. That's the side benefit of being the only game in town for 75 years or so.

Compare that to .30 cal bullets. they're expected to expand and hold together in the .300 savage and .300 win mag. That's quite a difference.

All the hot air not withstanding, bears don't fare well if you punch them in the chest. that being said, I'd probably go with a tougher bullet than the ballistic tips. I'd load the grand slams and never think twice.

Deer and bear seasons run concurrently in NY. I don't feel under gunned with 139 grain hornady interlocks in my 7-08s if that says anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    You don't have a bad choice listed. They will all work just fine. Black bear isn't too hard to kill. If it works on whitetail, it will work on bear. In the long view, it's all about shot placement, anyway.

Boolit Master

dont matter what you use. SHOT placement does

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    One of the nice things about the .270 that's rarely mentioned:

Every single .270 bullet is designed and constructed to operate within it's velocity window. That's the side benefit of being the only game in town for 75 years or so.
    Nope. Have to disagree. I've seen too many conventional cup core bullets come apart on game if the impact velocity is too high or heavy tissue/bone is hit- no matter the caliber. And nope, a large black bear is a different critter from any whitetail. Will a hollow point, thin jacketed target bullet kill stuff? Of course. Is there a chance it will make a real mess or completely fail if penetration is needed? Yes.

The example in the OP is the Nosler BT. They tend to be a very accurate bullet but they are simply a remake of the old Nosler Solid Base. They are a conventional cup core. After hitting heavy tissue and/or bone at the higher impact velocities they can and tend to come apart and it is fairly common for long, large shards of jacket and core to take nearly 90 degree turns along the wound channel.

And nope not just hot air and more internet gleaned wisdom here. All from years of experience with this stuff. 2 cents and outa this thread,
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master
    I would go with the Grand Slams just because they are less likely to blow apart if you should happen upon a very close shot.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

xd, your gun is sighted, and happy with the 130's. They will all be very close to one another as far as impact. The Speer GS should be a very good bullet and should do the job, that would be my first choice of the list. If the Sierra spitzer is labeled as a Game King, it will work very well too. Take good care of the meat and the hide, bear steak is good with a fat fall bear, and you could get a good rug too. JW

Boolit Buddy
    Idaho mule,
    I talked with my butcher.. Well the guy that makes my sausage and balogna... He told me to get the bear skinned and get the fat off ASAP. I've heard so many good and bad things about bear meat it's not even funny. I will eat anything though. And... I talked to another buddy that does taxidermy.. Best friend discount gets me a rug at 250-275 per running foot. I want to get a bear but at that price I'm scared to pull the trigger. Three kids with a stay at home mom. Ill need a second job just to pay for a rug!

I'm gonna end up cutting the bear up myself. But the problem is pa requires you to bring the WHOLE bear to a check station. So some of the meat is going to get fat contaminated. I'm counting my chickens... Ill worry about the meat when I kill one.

I really appreciate all of your opinions

Boolit Grand Master
    Cool it as fast as you can. Gut it, open it up to vent and pack the body cavity with bags of ice as fast as possible. It can get funky if not processed quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast