Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Lyman 457125

Boolit Man

Lyman 457125

Looking to buy a new Lyman 457125 mould. I have read horror stories of badly out of round moulds . Has anyone had any experiance with this? For the 90 dollars they are asking one would think you would get some quality from them .thanks for any info. john

Boolit Buddy
    John
    I have the gas checked varient of that bullet. Seem to do well for me but then I was shooting a Siamese Mauser. I did notice there's a noticable difference in recoil relative to my favorite, Lyman's 445 gas checked bullet.
    Also keep in mind my mold was made 40 plus years ago.

Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.

Boolit Master

They do not cost $90. Try http://www.midwayusa.com/product/567...ain-round-nose

I haven't bought a mold for some time from Lyman and could not speak to their current quality.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

I have an older one (1990's vintage) that works fine. I have not had very good luck with the newer molds.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Man
    thanks for the info guys. john

Banned
    It is an accurate bullet and I have not had a problem with being out of round. It is a very hungery (514 grs) lead eating mold. Bought it new three years ago.

Boolit Master

Wild Thing:
    I have one of those moulds. Not sure of the year though. It shoots very, very good in my Uberti
    Hiwall 45-70.
    You can find them regularly up for bid on ebay, and they can be won for a lot less than 90.00.
    Jack

Yeah, any more their quality hasn't been terribly high and the prices are up. So much, in fact, that a custom mould from Accurate or other good mould makers is not much different in price and you are guaranteed to get a good one.

I still buy Lyman moulds, but only older ones when I get a cheap price. I won't touch the new ones. I go to Tom or NOE for that.

I'm one of the guys that likes to take the guess work out of buying a mold. Tom is my first and pretty much only choice for molds these days his customer service quality and turn around time are worth the extra money in my opinion and he has also saved me a ton of money because he sends exactly what I ask for weight and diameter and he has taken the time to help me design a bullet for my .480 Ruger that is far and above the most accurate bullet I have ever shot. Words can not describe how good his molds are or the gentleman that he is

Boolit Man
    I have to get this right the first time as i don't have a lot of cash to play with. Looking for a good 500 or so gr. bullet for a 45-70. I know custom moulds are pretty spendy. Can you pick up a good mould for less than 150.00? John

you can get a single cavity from Tom at accuratemolds.com starting in the 80 dollar range and a double cavity aluminum for around a hundred an his aluminum molds will amaze you drop him a email and he will be happy to work it out so you get what you want