Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman 452630

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar

Lyman 452630

When it comes to SWCs in a 1911 the presumed gold standard is the HG 68. After loading quite of few of my Lee clones of the HG 68 I got to thinking. I read a lot on here about the Lyman 452460, but it seems to me that the 452630 is more like the HG 68. Is there a reason that the 452460 seems to get all the attention? Is it that the 452460 is flat based whereas the 452630 is bevel based like Lee's version of the 68?

Banned

my 630 has a slight bevel on the base but so did my 68 copy.
    i flare the case mouth just enough to match the base bevel and the boolits stand up straight in the case when seating.

I understand the design elements, I just don't understand why the 452460 seems so much more popular than the 452630 when the 68 is seen as the "holy grail" of SWCs.

Boolit Grand Master
    In some guns, Bullseye shooters found that the 460 was a smidgen more accurate. And back in the day, there was a certain amount of proprietary pride that kept Lyman (the established big-dog) from copying the upstart's designs. They did not make the 630 design until sometime in the 90's and by then 3 generations of shooters had been using the 452-460. So you'll see a lot of us older guys using what we are familiar with.

A point to remember is that H&G molds are rare today because they were dear way back when. Excellence costs money, and in my recollection back in the 70's, a Lyman 4 cavity was about a third less expensive than an H&G 4 cavity. Money for hobbies was no more common in those days than now, so it should come as no shock to find that most folks bought cheap. Chevies outsold Cadillacs by a healthy margin.

I have found them to be about equal in accuracy, with the H&G design being more reliable in unaltered guns. I currently use MP molds excellent 4 cavity version of the H&G in my 45s, but I have used the 452-460 in the past. The MP casts so nicely, though.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned

the 68 is all about nose design.
    the nose was designed to mimick the same angle as ball ammo.
    so it rode the feed ramp the same way as ball ammo did making it feed reliably.[especially in the older war guns]
    which as you could guess would be quite frustrating during a match [timed event even moreso]
    if it didn't.
    now day's the magazine and gun design takes care of that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    They did not make the 630 design until sometime in the 90's and by then 3 generations of shooters had been using the 452-460. So you'll see a lot of us older guys using what we are familiar with.
    Thank you, that was exactly the answer I was looking for, I didn't realize the 460 was around so much longer before Lyman decided to copy the 68 and came out with the 630. Makes sense to me. I guess I could have figured this out for myself if Lyman offered better records of their mold making history.

Banned

they aren't really a copy of the 68.
    thier nose is quite different, much shorter and more stout.