RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee finally fixed the LM primer system?

Quote Originally Posted by greyling22 View Post
    how new is the new system? The last version I have is probably 8 months old, and I've still got issues with it. (small primer) I loosened the screw and added a little oil to the O-ring on the primer slider arm and that helped, but I still get some skipped primers. If there is a new system I want it. I really like most of the loadmaster.

Cowboy T, be advised the LM is effectively a 4 station press since it primes at the top of the stroke in station 2.
    The tech guy at Lee told me they had some more minor changes just recently(like maybe 2 months ago) The only difference I can see is the different colors of the main components. Whatever they did has been working really well for me. The newest version of the large system should be all red (trough, slider, and pivot arm) The newest small version is a black trough, black slider, and gray pivot arm. I used my new small primer today for the first time, loaded 100- 300 blackout without a hitch, but it's too early to know if it will work as good as the large. If you will call Lee and tell them you are having trouble with primers, I think they will send you a new assembly at no charge.

Mine can be run all the way to empty without a hiccup It is the black version of small pistol primer feed with the grey arm. I think it's the version you mentioned. I do run a sizing die in station two. There were some hiccups before i started doing that. Now I can run it until it's empty. works great. 40 s&w.

God Bless!

Ron
    Shoot more, type less.

Boolit Bub
    ok, gray arm is new. My latest is the all black, and I think it has an A on the bottom.

ok, gray arm is new. My latest is the all black, and I think it has an A on the bottom.
    Yeah, the latest ones have the gray arm. I had some with the black arm and it gave me the same problems as the earlier versions. These are only available directly from Lee, since they are recent changes. I have been loading some 300 blackout with small primers and it is working perfect. I have loaded about 500 without a hiccup. Today, I called Lee and ordered a couple of extras. They will give you the first one free and will sell extras for 1/2 price. With these primer systems working correct, the Load Master is a very good progressive press.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hughes View Post
    Yeah, the latest ones have the gray arm. I had some with the black arm and it gave me the same problems as the earlier versions. These are only available directly from Lee, since they are recent changes. I have been loading some 300 blackout with small primers and it is working perfect. I have loaded about 500 without a hiccup. Today, I called Lee and ordered a couple of extras. They will give you the first one free and will sell extras for 1/2 price. With these primer systems working correct, the Load Master is a very good progressive press.

I just got a couple from Lee, but have not had the chance to try them out yet. I see they are completely different from the first revisions in that they don't have the little band to pull the slider back, but rather are designed so that it's impossible to crush a slider. Although this new design will prevent crushed sliders it appears to me that they would be more likely to miss a primer. I still use the old original design with out problems, but I'm interested in seeing how well these work so I'm probably going to go ahead and start using them. Half price on extras you say? hmmm perhaps i should have called to order.

Boolit Bub
    I talked to lee today. They said the trough is the same as with the all black A. the new one has a gray arm that is is a little taller(elevated above the shell plate a bit). Apparently they had some issues with the black arm hanging up on the case retainers and shell plate.

Boolit Buddy
    I talked to lee today. They said the trough is the same as with the all black A. the new one has a gray arm that is is a little taller(elevated above the shell plate a bit). Apparently they had some issues with the black arm hanging up on the case retainers and shell plate.

Seems like there is a mod to put a small washer between the arm and the rest of the assembly , to raise it ? Think I did that on one ?

Also , adjust the tension of the screw . Think there is an O-Ring in there ? Too tight / too much tension on the O-Ring & the rubber makes the arm spring back .

Does not stay back when the case pushed it back . It is suppose to stay back untill the " wedge " pushes it back forward .

God bless
    Wyr

Does not stay back when the case pushed it back . It is suppose to stay back untill the " wedge " pushes it back forward .
    This is the way the originals were, but when Lee started making revisions the very first revised design had a little band that pulled the slider back and there were no changes to the slider, but i guess it didn't work. The problem i see with the new design is that it may not push a primer onto the pin everytime like the original design would...as long as it's kept clean and the trough is kept loaded. I guess I'll find out when i start using them. I hope the new fool proof design works as well as the original.

I have 2 LM set up on my bench one for large prime and the other for small. But the large give me the most trouble. I noticed if I keep powder out of it they run smooth if I do my part.

Boolit Buddy
    If I let the primers run low , then I have no one but myself to blaim , if things mess up .

Even more so if powder runs low / out .

God bless
    Wyr

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    This is the way the originals were, but when Lee started making revisions the very first revised design had a little band that pulled the slider back and there were no changes to the slider, but i guess it didn't work. The problem i see with the new design is that it may not push a primer onto the pin everytime like the original design would...as long as it's kept clean and the trough is kept loaded. I guess I'll find out when i start using them. I hope the new fool proof design works as well as the original.

Boolit Man
    Since I installed the new red large primer system, I have loaded almost 1000 rounds with no errors. The press is working just like it should. Case feeder, and bullet feeder, one pull of the handle and a finished round. I have to watch the last case. For some reason it wants to flip or do something strange. It's too bad you can't have more cases and bullets in the feeders so you could just load a 100 rounds or so without having to rotate the case and bullet feeders.

Alan

Boolit Bub
    This new priming system dedicated only the Load Master or can it be used on other Lee presses?

Quote Originally Posted by 200swc View Post
    This new priming system dedicated only the Load Master or can it be used on other Lee presses?
    Load Master only

Boolit Bub
    Go figure. Something actually works and it's dedicated to only one setup.

Boolit Buddy
    Go figure. Something actually works and it's dedicated to only one setup.
    What do you have that needs the primer system fixed ?

God bless
    wyr

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
    What do you have that needs the primer system fixed ?

God bless
    wyr
    I have the Lee Turret

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Lee cast iron turret press , also . I have an early version of this

http://leeprecision.com/safety-prime...and-large.html

It works fine .

Which turret press do you have ? What kind of priming problems are you having ?

God bless
    Wyr

I have the Lee Turret

Boolit Master
    I think this latest version is generation 4 or 5. I placed an order for parts to refurbish an old lead pot and ordered one each of the latest ones. Tried the large one last night. I had one side ways prime at round @20 and 99 perfect rounds. My old original is 100% These newest versions are still marked with an "A" on the bottom. The large is all red, the small is black with different colored slider and slider actuator arm, I forget which colors -- sort of clear and maybe grey respectfully -- maybe. The previous "new" versions were really bad to waste primers by dumping them down the spent primer collection trap. I had none of that. My old original primer fixtures will feed primers right down to the last 1 to three; but I intentionally ran this latest one down and got failure to feed with about 5 large primers remaining. Not bad, it is a gravity feed and the instructions say not to let the tray run empty (I always let the tray empty and let the trough empty to the bottom of the first window slot. I hope the last version gets the LM on it feet as it is a very nice system otherwise.

prs

Boolit Bub
    The photo you have shown is not the same as mine; mine is white on the bottom. It wouldn't feed consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
    I have the Lee cast iron turret press , also . I have an early version of this

http://leeprecision.com/safety-prime...and-large.html

It works fine .

Which turret press do you have ? What kind of priming problems are you having ?

God bless
    Wyr

Boolit Buddy
    The photo you have shown is not the same as mine; mine is white on the bottom. It wouldn't feed consistently.
    Mine may be / probably is white , also .

The black plastic bracket , on mine , that holds the safety prime , mounts to the front - right hand " turret post " . It came with a black plastic washer , about 1/4" thick .

This plastic washer is installed under neath the black plastic bracket . Raising the bracket and safety prime up about 1/4" .

My cousin discovered , the sizing die must be adjusted up - down in the turret . The goal is to make the shell holder , brass & ram stop at the " correct height " . When this is achieved , the safety prime will deposit the primer into the primer cup , of the priming lever / rocker .

Thus adjusted , the priming works slicker than snot . Every time .

God bless
    Wyr

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast