Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Bp bullets

Boolit Mold

Bp bullets

I've been wanting to try BP loads in my 45 Colt Vaquero. I don' cast yet and buy my smokeless boolit's from Missouri Bullets. Is there a good retailer that sells cast with BP lube?

Thanks,
    Duane

Boolit Buddy
    Be careful buying precast "bp" boolits. I went through about 750 I ordered online without checking what they are cast from. They leaded badly, and after comparing them to my 20:1's I now cast myself, were so hard that I had a hard time making a mark in them with a nail. The 20:1 is good and 25:1 should work also. Seems like some "hardcast" casters product only differ for bp shooting in the lube, not the hardness.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Cheycast.com sells them bp lubed.
    BigSky components in Miles City Mt sells them bp lubed.
    Buffalo Arms sells bp lubed bullets.
    Not for positive on this but you may be able to get bp lubed bullets from Powder Inc.
    You can also get the remington bulk 255's and wipe a bit of lube in the "hollowbase" and seat with a thin card wad over the powder and get some very good results.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had excellent results from Montana Bullet Works (.com), Dave Jennings. Very good quality, reasonable prices, many molds (illustrated & named) available in the on-line catalogue. His BP alloy is Lyman #2, BHN-15.Uses DGL blackpowder lube, which works fine.

On the other hand, the stuff I've gotten from Black Dawge are horrible quality (big off-center base dents, nose drips, etc) and were crudly packaged in styrofoam blocks which broke up, leaving styrofoam pieces stuck in the lube.

+1 for Buffalo Arms. They really support the black powder shooter.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the information, I hadn't thought of the hardness of the alloy. Now I have a couple places to shop from to get me started in blackpowder.
    Thanks,
    Duane

Boolit Buddy
    Duane, you're going to have fun with that Vaquero in BP. There's nothing like a foot of orange flame through a ball of smoke, a BOOM that rattles windows, and an "enhanced" kick to make shooting fun. Welcome to the Dark Side!

Boolit Master

For soft(brinnell 9) BP bullets that hold more lube than most go to www.whyteleatherworks.com , click on the Big Lube button.