Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Interesting way to turn a centerfire into a BB gun replacement

Boolit Master

Interesting way to turn a centerfire into a BB gun replacement

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like fun. Wonder if it fouls the barrel with lead at all?

Boolit Grand Master

I've used a similar "kit" in 22 Hornet, 222 Rem and 223 Rem. They are fun. I found with 12" and 14" twist 222s and 223 that using magnum primers and heavier pellets worked best. Though, at indoor distances of 30 feet or less the standard primers and WC pellets worked well. As with air rifles the better the quality of pellet the better the accuracy was.

I also easily converted 222s and 223s to take the smaller shotgun primer (#97?). that with the harder heavier 22 cal pellets did well out to 25 yards. Not as well as my M54 air rifle but well enough for fun shooting. Using iron sights or having a scope of low power (1 - 2.5) that will focus down at such short ranges is also necessary. I also found running a wet patch (Hoppe's #() through the bore every 5 shots to remove the grit from the primer maintained accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I tried something like this in 222rem with regular primers/cases and a 14gr pellet pushed flush in case neck. just primer was 375fps, 0.5gr titegroup was 550fps, 0.7gr TG was 650fps, 1.0gr TG was 830fps. lower two were very quiet, top one started to have more of a snap to it. i only shot pop cans at close range so i cant say if its really accurate or not i was mainly just curious about speeds and if its viable at all. but its fun to see how much variety one gun can do.

Boolit Master
    Having not had a BB or air rifle when a child I am looking forward to this. Maybe even spend the $ for a single shot adapter. Just have to decide if it is going to be out of a .223 or a .221 Fireball. Probably the 223 as it wears quick detach rings and has irons while the Fireball lacks iron sights and wears an inappropriate scope for the endevor.

Thanks all for the advice.

I had some .22 pellets and no pellet gun. I had some .22 powrset blanks (yellow). I'd set the skirt of the pellet on the end of the rose crimp and gently chamber it with the muzzle of my bolt action .22 elevated. They worked and would group about 2" at 50'. Ok I was bored that day.