RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W model 60

Boolit Buddy

S&W model 60

I have been looking for a nice early model 36 or 60 for a few months. I walked into a gun shop the other day and saw this model 60 looked at it and saw it had no dash after the 60 (I think it in a 1974 or 75), and it was a pinned barrel, and it was real clean. It was marked $450 so I offered $400. He told me he would do it if I paid cash (which was fine thats how I was planning to pay). He went in the back and came back with the original box. I opened the box and there were all the original papers and cleaning kit. That was a big bonus. Then when he rang me up it came to $400 I asked about the tax and he told me it was a guys that use to work for him, and he was selling it for him, thats why he wanted cash. I love it when you get more then you bargined for and at a cheaper price.

Any way I went and shot it at 25 feet and it is shooting 2" low and 2" to the left. I shot it off bags to make sure I wasnt jerking. It grouped about .75" and that was better then I was hopping for. I shot a 160gr boolit with 3.6gr of bullseye. Do any of you have a good load for these guns? I was going to try a 148gr wadcutter with 2.8 gr bullseye.

Also it recoiled noticably more then my sp101 and that suprised me. But I think it is 7oz lighter and the grips dont take the recoil as good as the sp101. I want to keep it looking old so I was going to look for a Tylet T adapter any oppinions on these?

Thanks, Bardo

double click on image to enlarge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s&w 38 1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	48671

Name:	s&w 38.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	48672

Boolit Grand Master
    My favorite for the short barreled guns, in terms of mild shooting and effectiveness, is the cast wadcutter.

I like 3.1 grains of Bullseye for about 710 fps using the various wadcutters in 148 grain weight. This is for practice shooting and is mild enough in an all steel gun. This shoots better than the 2.7-2.8 grain load, which is intended more for the hollowbase swaged wadcutters. The consensus is cast wadcutters do better with heavier charges of Bullseye than the "traditional" 2.7 grain charge. Usual recommendation is from 3.1 to 3.5 grains.

For a "general purpose" load with more power, I seat them out a bit to lower the loading density and allow more velocity at lower pressure than a more flush seated wadcutter. I use up to 5 grains Unique at a similar seating depth as a 158 SWC. This gets around 870 fps velocity in a two inch and is all the load one could ask for, as it cuts a larger hole and penetrates quite adequately. Of course this load would be past Plus P if it was to be used with a nearly flush seated wadcutter, so be sure to load it with the bullet further out of the case. The bullet must be sized to at or below the cylinder throat diameter for the seated out bullet to fit in the cylinder but this is no hardship.

For this I favor the all meplat 148 Lee TL wadcutter. I also have an RCBS 148 grain bevel base wadcutter, the Lee 148 standard lube groove design, the Lyman 358495, and the Lyman 160 grain "semiwadcutter" wadcutter. All work just fine in the shorties like the Model 60. None of them are for longer than 60 yard shooting, but I rarely shoot further than that with my short .38's.

Boolit Master

T-grips

Bardo, you're in luck. The original Tyler's Manufacturing Co. is still in business by one of Melvin's relatives, I think a son. They still offer t-grips, trigger shoes and several of the other products with increases in inventory planned for the future. Their web addy is t-grips.com and the page offers item selection and pricing. When I began buying their t-grips the price was $2.50 each. That has been a few days back. I still appreciate and use the t-grips for certain selected applications. They simply give the right feel without altering the originality of the firearm. Good luck.
    Thin Man

Boolit Buddy
    My S&W J-frames wear Uncle Mike's Boot grips. They are still slim enough for front pocket carry and offer me an excellent grip for either deliberate or rapid shots. If you like a cast SWC, I use 5.3 gr. Unique with 150gr. to 168 gr. boolits. This load is stiff, and feels (recoil and impact) more powerful than the factory Winchester 158 gr. SWC-HP "FBI loads" that I use for comparison. These loads eject 5 with a finger-tip on the extractor rod - no sticking.
    -Ed

Boolit Grand Master
    Ed, those qualify as Plus P. FWIW.

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded up some wadcutters (h&g 50) with 3.1gr of bullseye. I will see if this helps the point of impact.

Bardo

Boolit Master

You got a real nice one there. Many years ago I bought one for my wife as her house and woods walking gun. It is nickel plated and I wish it was stainless like yours. I keep it loaded with a mix of HPs and shot loads so she can deal with an occasional snake if the need arises. They are great carry guns.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    I have a no dash Mod 60 that has move a mountain of ww's through its barrel. Bullseye is a great powder for .38s, but Herco is my favorite for defensive loads. Also I'm a big fan of full wadcutters in .38 for defense. I cast them soft and push them hard. Herco and 358091 get me right at 900 fps out of mine. And don't sell it short at 100 yds. It'll suprise you.

Hitting left....if you're pulling the trigger with your right hand? Try pulling the trigger with your left and see if the POI moves to the right. If if does, its not the gun.

Hitting low....use heavier boolits.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar
    I have a M 36, 3" hvy bbl. It shoots 158 grain bullets to POA at 20 yards. I believe the "belly guns" are regulated to a 158 grain bullet. Try them and see.

Jerry
    Carolina Cast Bullets

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Boolit Buddy
    I just noticed this. The groove for the rear sighr apears to be cut a little to the left. That could be part of the problem.

Bardo

Double click on image to enlarge.

Name:	s&w 38 2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	48712

Boolit Master
    Don't go filing on that gun just yet! Sorry, I had to say that. My carry guns usually are either a Charter Arms Undercover .38 or my Model 60. It has adjustable sights. Went thru a slew of boolits, from 100 gr. on up. These days I use the Ranch Dog 359-190! Shoots close enough to point of aim for what I need and I decided I wanted an exit wound. Kind of a version of the old 38/200 S&W the Brits thought so highly of. I shoot them very sparingly and practice with the Lee 358-158 RF, a great boolit in a cheap 6 cav. mold. I'm a fan of the penetration school of thought. Before the boolit can do it's job it's gotta get in there first, just like shooting a deer. Congratulations on your good score!

Boolit Master
    I used the Tyler T-Grip up until I change over to Crimson Laser Grips on my M-60. I load 5.0 grains of Unique with 158 grainers.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master
    If you're checking point of impact by shooting off bags......don't!

Especially if your hands rest on the bags, point of impact is different than when shot standing, due to differences in how the gun moves in recoil.

To know true point of impact, do it standing up, as you would normally hold the pistol. Hands on bags normally results in a lower strike than if standing, shot offhand.

Boolit Grand Master

Get the Tyler T-Grip for improved shooting grip and that cool retro look. These old model 36's and 60's were regulated for the old 158 gr round nose , standard velocity load just about every department issued to the officers. Get a box and try them out, if the sights are regulated to them it will just be a matter of recreating a similar handload .

The first hand gun I ever owned was a blued, square butt model 36, with the Tyler T-Grip, they help a lot . I traded it to a Baton Rouge Police Department officer because he found the model 58 S&W 41 magnum he had been carring just a bit more gun than he needed and was tired of lugging that big N-frame
    around all day. I think he got promoted to detective. Swaped straight up didn't even ask for any extra money. After I shot the 41 mag. a few times I understood why the model 36 was so appealing. Congrats on a sweet deal , you will enjoy the snubbie .

gary

Boolit Bub
    In my S&W 60 I use the soft Hogue grips with 5.1 Gr Unique... with a 150 LBT OWC ... i think it hits hard right where i want it to.

Boolit Master

Got one just like it! And 35remington is right. I shoots differently off bags than standing. Mine shoots point of aim with about anything around 5.0gr of Unique and a 158 gr SWC. Or any moderate Bullseye load with the same bullet. Great little gun. It would be one of the choices if I could only have 2 guns. Havent decided on the other yet!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master
    Yeah, the Tyler company is based out of OKC, and I myself like the old retro look on snubs. Makes them very pretty in my opinion.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I have carried one for 20 years. I use the Houge round butt grip on mine with a SOB holster its great. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Buddy
    Well I shot some 155gr swc with 3.6gr of bullseye and that shot point of aim at 15 yards and was going about 725 fps. Also I ordered a Tyler T grip a few days ago and also a spring kit. I am happy with it. Just cant wait to put the grip on and the spring kit in.

Brandon

Just a suggestion ... remove the stock grips and put them away in a drawer. Find some Pachmayr or Hogue finger grips that extend below the bottom of the grip. They'll let your little finger on the shooting hand rest on the grip.

You should now find that the gun shoots where you point it, not high like with the stock grips.

Another benefit is that recoil is substantially reduced, even with 158 grain bullets.

After you get the grip you like, then work up a load as recommended by other posters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast