RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope for a .22

Boolit Master
    I have a different definition of accuracy. My definition of squirrel accuracy is having the bullet stay within 3/4 inch of the line of sight from muzzle to target at 35 yards. I have paced off many lines of shots and determined that is MY max range. You can't do this with a fat scope in tall rings, the bullet is way below line of sight and rising at the muzzle. That's why I went to peeps and to low mounted scopes,several which I glued on. I did not find AO suitable. Old flat bottom Bushnells glued to the receiver with Gorrila glue and 2x pistol scopes mounted as scout scopes worked.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master

I just put a Weaver Classic 2.5-7X on a Colteer 1-22 rifle I picked up. I like the Weaver Classic line. They are made in Japan and seem to be comparable to the Leupolds (4X and 2-7x) I have. They are a little cheaper than the Leupolds too.

Boolit Master
    Over the last couple of years I purchased 4 Sightron 3x9 scopes, here is a link to Midway so you can read about them and compare prices:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147...-reticle-matte

So far ZERO issues with any of the Sightron scopes and for my money they are an excellent choice for the money spent. Also own a couple of the Leupold rimfire scopes and a couple of Bushnells (1 inch models) and consider the Sightrons the best bang for the buck.

I have a Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9X32AO that I'm pretty happy with.

The Nikon ProStaff .22 scopes are great. I've to a 4x and it's the sharpest, brightest scope I've ever had. It's a pleasure just to look through. They cost more than some scopes, but worth it for a rifle you love and use a lot.

Boolit Master
    Blixen,

I have a friend who has bought into those scopes. Bought the second because he was so pleased with the first.

However, where my rifle is of at least a semi-target level abilities, the extra power of the 3X9, and well designed and positive paralax and focus adjustments were important to me.

In fact, in weaker moments I have even thought about more power just to see if it would decrease the center to center size of the targets on my brag board.

However, not being in formal competition, I don't really need to run with the big boys. Plus quality can start to get a bit pricy at the upper power levels.

Your post, those of olafhardt with his Gorrila Glue scope mounts and of course my vote to buy better, really points out that there are lots of boats all of which don't float at the same levels, but still float.

Yep, great that we can have so many choices!

By the way olafhardt, where do you buy Gorrila Glue to match Stainless Steel or deep blue metal?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Well, Crusty, I mix powdered graphite in the Gorilla glue works good on steel. Stainless I don't know, I never had any stainless long guns. I do have a stainless 22 revolver I use when chaseing rats through the grass on my riding lawn mower.I prefer a rototiller for snakes. Ain't technology great!!!

Boolit Master
    anything you will probably be able to do with your 22, you can do without spending more for the scope than you did for the rifle. The ammunition available today isn't good enough to justify a high end scope. I shot competition years ago with a heavy barreled 40-x, with a 20 power. On a still day, a fly at 100 yards was a big target and left a bloody hole on the paper. Winchester quit making the ammunition and unless you are willing to spend 10.00 to 15.00 dollars a box, there isn't anything better than average. You can't buy proficiency, but I have seen a lot of people try. A used k-4 weaver you can buy for 50.00 or less will do anything you, the rifle, and the ammunition are capable of.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    anything you will probably be able to do with your 22, you can do without spending more for the scope than you did for the rifle. The ammunition available today isn't good enough to justify a high end scope. I shot competition years ago with a heavy barreled 40-x, with a 20 power. On a still day, a fly at 100 yards was a big target and left a bloody hole on the paper. Winchester quit making the ammunition and unless you are willing to spend 10.00 to 15.00 dollars a box, there isn't anything better than average. You can't buy proficiency, but I have seen a lot of people try. A used k-4 weaver you can buy for 50.00 or less will do anything you, the rifle, and the ammunition are capable of.
    Absolutely! A good friend gave me a K-4 and I put it on my new Marlin XTR after trying a coupla' others. All the difference in the world!

Boolit Buddy

I put BSA scopes on my .22's and have no problems. I prefer the Nikon but I have some that have Simmons on them but it is an older scope.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I use BSA with complete satisfaction, other than that I recommend the vintage Weavers, & E-Bay would be your friend there or a local gun show.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Olafhardt LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Founderman No way I can dispute your years or experience, or begin to match it. So I can only speak to my personal experience with the following.

A friend and I have had some informal, "shoot outs," he with his lower priced Savage single shot, semi target rifle and me with my Clark Custom 77/22 with Walther barrel.

All comparable shooting was done on the same day, over the same banch and bags and shooting from the same boxes of ammo.

The first year, we shot mostly match/target ammo, including Lapua (both dia. and yes it makes a difference) and Eley, Federal Gold metal (some of the old and very good Olympic verity) plus any other such ammo I could get my hands on.

That day left me wondering at the much higher cost I had invested, as Jack's rifle shot right with the Clark, group after group and ammo after ammo. Many tiny little groups that day. And yes, I still have the targets.

The second year we shot, again as out lined above, only this time shooting typical "off the shelf" brands and types.

WOW, what a difference. Jack's rifle did turn in a good group or two, with ammo it favored, while the Clark kept shooting nice little group, group after group after group, the bad group being the exception.

So, this comes down to rifle and to a high degree Barrel quality. Not to say most rifles/barrels won't find some ammo they will shoot at least passably well, but that the higher quality combination will open up a huge selection or ammos which will shoot at better then just passable.

So, all that added to the many posts above, maybe the answer comes down to this. Maybe the level of scope chosen should be based to a fair degree on the level of rifle in hand.

Reason, ------ Typically without going to very costly and high quality ammos, most rifles will find something that shoots up to the owners level of requirements providing they test enough of the available products out there.

AND --------- given the quality of the rifle, past a certain point the better scopes will not make up for the lack of rifle/barrel quality.

BUT ------- on the other hand, to put a low end scope or scope of questionable quality on a Kimber, Annie, Cooper, Winchester model 52, or yes, my Clark Custom 77/22 would be like tying a weight to one leg of an Olympic runner.

Fancy that weight up any way you wish, but it is still a handicap.

So would a scope of questionable or low quality be on a rifle of high quality.

Why would anyone buy a rifle of higher cost and quality and then by a Walmart scope to try and save money?

No offense intended to anyone and their rifle/scope choice, but face it, in most cases, quality does come with increased cost.

What floats YOUR boat is what counts.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I have a Burrie 4X12 Compact that was made in 2000. It will focus down to 33 feet. It was origionally made for rimfire/airrifle. Emailed Burris trying to find another one and was told it was out of production (go figure). Was advised to look at the Timberline series (Burris) and that the 4X12 would focus down to 33 feet.

Price is around $250. and it dos have 1/8 min adj. I'll be getting one for my 10/22.

Hope this helps for info.

Boolit Master
    Well, coot, one thing you left out is " what do you want the rifle to do for you?" I don't consider benchrest accuracy important. I brought an Anschutz 22 magnum with full stock and double set triggers back from my tourin Germany. I was trying to assemble the absolute best squirrel rifle. Things I learned: 1) 22wmr is way overkill for squirrels, 2) I really don't like double set triggers, 3)Cheaper is often just as good or even better, depending on what you want to do. I can't understand why a novice shooter should be sold a masters level scope.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the comment Olafhardt.

As per what I want the rifle to do for me, valid question we must all answer. Just what will float my or your boat?

As I commented some posts back, having a very accurate .22 was an itch I just needed to scratch.

To the point where I was looking at Kimbers and Coopers.

Didn't really consider an Annie as I have just never liked their action. Yep, they are good!

A CZ 452 might have done it, but I don't do well with mags. which stick down below the stock line. Tacky in this Ol'Coot's opinion.

I tried to scratch the itch when T. C. first brought out the, "classic," their semi auto for which all their ads promised 1/2" 50yd groups and a match grade trigger. It had a long ways, at least my copy, to go to come anywhere close to those advertized levels of quality. One trip back to the factory and it was still far short of a "classic."

You no longer see them advertised, so seems like maybe they weren't as "classic" as the ads first lead some of us to believe. True classics tend to hang around awhile.

The "classic" experience coupled with the trashco scope (4X12 w/A.O.) really soured me on that level of quality, or better stated, lack there of.

That's when I began looking at the Kimbers and Coopers and found my Clark Custom 77/22 traded in - still new - because of it's weight.

Cost the fellow who ordered it from Clark, $785 shipped to North Easter Washington state. I paid $600.00

Yep, it is heavy with that .920 Walther barrel, but that rifle/scope does for me what I wanted a .22 rim fire rifle to do, passing the test with flying colors.

Does it do OK on fuzzy little ground critters? Yep sure does, but first and foremost it needed to make tiny groups at the typical 50yd distance which is the common distance where many .22s are targeted.

So, as said, your comment about what we expect a .22 to do for us is very valid, without question.

But, I have been there and done that with lesser levels of .22s and fun though they surely are - no question there - they were not what was going to float my boat.

The Clark Custom 77/22 with 3X9 EFR Leupold makes the grade. The itch has been scratched!

Us Ol'Coots just get funny ideas at times.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I guess it really depends on what the scope will be used for. It’s always good to have/use a good quality scope that will have repeatable adjustments. There’s tons of quality scopes out there & don’t be afraid to own a couple different scopes for different shooting events & hunting.

I like the Annie fs rifles myself, a mid 1950’s Anschutz full stock with a Weaver 3x that I use for squirrel. I didn’t want/need set triggers on a woods rifle.

[IMG][/IMG]

I’m a huge Sightron fan & use these scopes on my silhouette rifles.

[IMG][/IMG]

A Winchester 52b repo with a Sightron scope on it that I use for silhouettes.

[IMG][/IMG]

Some of the older scopes provide a lower profile (smaller bell) that allows them to sit lower on the rifle. This looooong bodied Lyman all American 20x scope on this CZ Lux is a match made in heven. The low profile of the scope allows me to have an excellent cheek weld with the Lux’s hog back designed stock.

[IMG][/IMG]

Another excellent scope is the older Baush & Lomb BalVar 8. They’re a 2 to 8 powers scope with excellent clarity, positive repeatable adjustments & beautiful crosshairs that start out thick & go to thin as the intersect. These Baush & Lomb scopes are highly sought after to this day & sell in the $200+ range on e-bay. Here’s one on my Remington 513-s, they make a great combo.

[IMG][/IMG]

Something to think about: Target scopes are just that, for target work. A dot reticule or cross hairs that are too thin are hard to use in the field unless you’re in open country. And field scopes are terrible for target shooting. They’re normally under powered & the crosshairs are too thick.

I used wonder what scope to buy/use years ago when I never really thought it out. I finely came to the conclusion it best to have multiple rifle/scope combos. Can’t never have enough 22’s!!!!

Crusty ol' coot..
    Yes, Leupolds 3x9AOs for me.
    Even on a Marlin 795.
    Fantastic Scope's

Boolit Master
    Buchweet,

Welcome to the old post, now about 7 years old.

Since that time, I decided to buy a RUGER 10/22 just because they are fun. Having the Clark Custom, I was not going to do any thing to the 10/22, just shoot it and have fun, Like that was going to happen.

I like good triggers, so I replaced the factory trigger group and then one thing and another and then Feddersen had a special on barrels so I bought a 16.25" - ,920 inch fluted barrel and that meant I needed to replace the factory stock.

Well, I didn't at that time want to go to the expense of another Leupold EFR (Extended Focus Range) 3X9 scope, so just put a Leupold 2X7 - .22 scope on the 10/22.

Gave the very heavy Clark Custom to a son and recently he decided to sell or trade that rifle, so I told him I'd like to trade scopes with him before he sold the rifle.

Well, the 3X9 EFR scope now resides on the awesomely accurate 10/22. The Clark Custom, as accurate as that rifle with it's Walther barrel was, the Feddersen barreled 10/22 is the most accurate .22 rimfire that I've ever owned.

So, the best of both worlds, a very fun 10/22 and with a few changes, a rifle that is highly accurate and much lighter and handier then the Clark Custom RUGER 77/22.

Just out to do some hand load test yesterday and shot the 10/22 off the bench with several different ammos. What a ball it to shoot such an accurate rifle!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Buchweet,

Welcome to the old post, now about 7 years old.

Since that time, I decided to buy a RUGER 10/22 just because they are fun. Having the Clark Custom, I was not going to do any thing to the 10/22, just shoot it and have fun, Like that was going to happen.

I like good triggers, so I replaced the factory trigger group and then one thing and another and then Feddersen had a special on barrels so I bought a 16.25" - ,920 inch fluted barrel and that meant I needed to replace the factory stock.

Well, I didn't at that time want to go to the expense of another Leupold EFR (Extended Focus Range) 3X9 scope, so just put a Leupold 2X7 - .22 scope on the 10/22.

Gave the very heavy Clark Custom to a son and recently he decided to sell or trade that rifle, so I told him I'd like to trade scopes with him before he sold the rifle.

Well, the 3X9 EFR scope now resides on the awesomely accurate 10/22. The Clark Custom, as accurate as that rifle with it's Walther barrel was, the Feddersen barreled 10/22 is the most accurate .22 rimfire that I've ever owned.

So, the best of both worlds, a very fun 10/22 and with a few changes, a rifle that is highly accurate and much lighter and handier then the Clark Custom RUGER 77/22.

Just out to do some hand load test yesterday and shot the 10/22 off the bench with several different ammos. What a ball it to shoot such an accurate rifle!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Crusty..yep..
    I hear ya.. my two 16.25 feddersens shoot great.
    Hogue stocks. Brimstone's trigger in one..
    BX in the other.
    CPC bolts.kidds guide rod and charge handles.
    Agreed.. Leupolds 3x9AO..(excellent)..
    And a newer freedom 2x7 ..with the hash marks in the reticle.
    Lots of fun to shoot accurate rifles.
    I love Leupolds rimfire Scopes.
    The Feddersen barrels's stay clean forever.
    Must be feddersens rifling?
    Mine likes Blazers..CCI standard..and....... Remington Golden's hollow points.
    Great fun !?

Boolit Master
    Buckweet,

During my last Wed. load development tests with the centerfires, I shot the 10/22 with some of the older Wolf Match Extra that was said to have some Lapua involvement in the manufacture and compared it to the new Eley involved Wolf Match extra. Little difference between two good ammos. Also fired some SK Rifle Match ammo and it wasn't as good, at least in my barrel.

But, since I use the 10/22 for some fuzzy little ground vermin control, what I really liked was the 20 rounds of CCI Mini Mag. H.P. that I shot into one 51yd. group. 17 of those 20 shots went into 3/4" with the other 3 shots opening the group to a bit over an inch. No wonder I like that ammo for the fuzzy little critters.

Winchester Super X Power Points lagged way behind. Looked a lot like a shotgun pattern with NO center group like with the Mini Mag., just 20 shots scattered in a group of about 1 5/8"

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast