Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: 310 cadet lube woes

Boolit Mold

310 cadet lube woes

Hi all. I have a martini cadet in 310 cadet. I have the rcbs heeled boolit mold and my question is this, HOW are these things lubed? So far I just dip the boolit in molten lube after I load the round then shave off excess lube with a razor blade, time consuming but it works. I thought about pushing boolit nose first in sizer to keep lube off heel
    but im not sure its any faster. Any thoughts?

Banned

lube cookie.
    the heeled rounds were origionally externally lubed.similar to how you are doing it.
    you could also tumble lube and leave it on the whole boolit.
    or turn a canellure on the side of the boolit and lube there.
    or pick a combo or use all of them.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for suggestions run. Going to try the lube cookie.

Mike

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Cadet Lube-

I'm using the same RCBS heeled boolit in my 310 cadets, with great success-

When faced with how to lube, and the only lube groove being outside the case, there was no option but to apply lube after the round was loaded. Putting my thinking cap on (I keep it hanging on the wall in my loading shop!), I realized I needed a thin lube applied to the groove and sides of the boolit only, sort of like a big 22rf. I made up a small dish of 50/50 Johnson's Paste Wax (JPW) and Beeswax, heated it in the microwave to a "just fluid" consistency, and then dip each loaded round by hand into the mix. As the mix cools, I use a rag and wipe the excess lube off the nose off the boolit, and I am done.

I like the suggestion of the lube cookie, but I don't have that technology, so I will try the next best thing in my bag of tricks, a wax disk of dental wax loaded behind the boolit, as well as the JPW/Beexwax dip-

Good luck to you, and keep those Cadets shooting! They are a lot of fun, and sure do teach us a lot about how it was to load and shoot 100 years ago-

358wcf Chuck

Boolit Master
    I have the NEI heeled boolit. I am using 45-45-10 mix and tumble lube. Works fine for me.
    swamp
    Last edited by swamp; 10-25-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have one of these, but I read an article by Ross Seyfried in which he said he used Rooster Jacket, which I think is akin to using 45-45-10 (I have used the commercial product, but I haven't yet tried to make 45-45-10).

I finish loading the round without lube with heeled boolits (or boolits seated W A Y out and then outside lubricated)

If I have a fair number to do I will dip lube them down to the case mouth in molten lube. If I have 20 or so I'll lube them with my fingers. Then when cool I use a snug fitting "cookie cutter"... That removes the excess lube quickly.

Eutectic

I load my CBE boolits and then lube. I rub the lube into the groove using a stick of lube. Works well. Don't use too much. I found less is more. I use surprisingly little and heap a lovely wet muzzle.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I did quite a bit of load work for a friend with one. What I finally did was to load the ammo then use Q-tip to run LLA around the bullet. I thinned it a bit and tried both one and two coats, I even made a "drying rack" (might have a pic of it somewhere) tht I dropped the rounds in and they hung by there rims. I managed to find a load at around 1500 fps that would shoot 10 into about 1-1/4 at 75 yds, maybe a bit less and that's where we quit. VV 110 was the clear winner with Red dot a close second.

Boolit Mold
    the 1st time I loaded I rubbed lube in groove with my fingers. dipping worked better. I havent used any other tumble lube than lee's. Mostly because I dont tumble lube that often. Ive been shootin that alot so I have some new ideas. thanks all

Banned

i made a lube very similar to what they use on 22's by using 3 parts jpw [right from the can] and one part b-wax with about 10% mineral spirits.
    i just melted the jpw and then stirred in the grated b-wax and heated again.
    i was using it for swirl lubing my 25-20 boolits i didn't have a sizer for [or needed one either]
    it dried to a wax coating just like the 22's have except a bit thicker.
    the 3-1 lube was a pre runner to the 45/45/10 lube and is where the 10 come from. [and the jpw cook down part] i suggested it to jd when he was first trying the jpw/alox mix to help it dry better.

Moderator Emeritus
    I shoot around a hundred rounds of 310 Cadet a week and just tumble lube in Xlox cut 1/2 and 1/2 with white spirit.

No leading and great accuracy both with the RCBS and our GB Cadet boolits.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    I shoot around a hundred rounds of 310 Cadet a week and just tumble lube in Xlox cut 1/2 and 1/2 with white spirit.

No leading and great accuracy both with the RCBS and our GB Cadet boolits.
    maybe I should rethink the tumble lube. I had to pull some 45 acp boolits that were tumbled with lee alox . seemed like that stuff acted like glue! Boolits were very hard to pull . Is that the reason for cutting?

Banned

it helps it dry faster,and lessens the amount put on the boolit.
    but yeah alox will stick a boolit in a case.
    i had a few in some brand new 44 special cases that had been t/l'd with alox a few years before hand and i ended up just throwing them away.
    i couldn't get them out of the cases.

Moderator Emeritus
    With Xlox less is more, diluted with white spirit there should be a just discernable golden hue colour to the boolits any sign of brown and you have it on too thick. The well thinned Xlox dries with out any noticeable stickiness.

I shoot the Cadet at around 1230fps over 5.3gns of Nobel Pistol Powder No2 with no leading and excellent accuracy.

I don't size the cases I just deprime, prime, drop the powder and hand seat the Xlox tumble lubed boolit. The Boolits are a nice fit in the case, not tight enough to be carried around in your pockets but stand nose down in an MTM ammunition box and can be removed and loaded without any boolit movement.

I had Tom at Accurate cut me a four hole mould based on the GB design we had done here by Lee a few years ago, he cut the heel to be a good push fit to my cases (Kynoch). I have a couple of hundred of them and most of them have been fired over a couple of dozen times with no splits, I have annealed them once just in case and will probably do so again soon just for insurance.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks