Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hillbilly primer catcher

Boolit Grand Master

Hillbilly primer catcher

I've tried all sorts of things to catch spent primers coming out of the press. I finally found something that works. It's kinda' hokie, but it works. I jambed a cat litter bucket behind the bolt stems that hold the press to the bench. A slot cut down the outside allows the handle to go all the way down. When I'm done depriming, it pops out and stores under the bench.

Boolit Buddy

Murphy's rules for Reloading;

If it's kinda hokie, and works. It ain't hokie.

EDIT: BTW, love the avatar of a man and his Houndawg. Is that a Black and Tan or a Walker?
    Last edited by BoolitSchuuter; 10-24-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Add'l comment.

Iniustus lex est non lex
    Melior morior in vestri pes quam ago in vestri genu
    Semper Paratus, Semper Fortis

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" Barry Goldwater
    "Never argue with an idiot.They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".
    ANON

Boolit Master

I love the camo handles on the pair of pliers next to the press. As for me I like the bright orange ones that scream to me "I am over here you blind old phart" after I misplace them for the 88th time.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    Tell us true now, you envisioned this when you were mounting that press with the extra long bolts

Skinny

Boolit Bub
    Good idea,What is the Black thing on the side of the press?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soli View Post
    Good idea,What is the Black thing on the side of the press?
    Magnets for holding a Lee universal case holder, a spare #2 shell holder and my Lyman case reamer.

Boolit Master

guess you dont have a Heavy Duty deprimer.
    Panty hose works better and if used they smell good

Boolit Grand Master
    We need a face palm emoticon.

Boolit Buddy
    QUOTE=Jim;1893063]We need a face palm emoticon.[/QUOTE] this will do... [

Well it doesnt win any booty prizes but it's simple, effective and cheap. I've been thinking about the zact same problem with the zact same setup. I'll post my Rube Goldberg setup when I'm done. I decapped about 1000 9mm cases recently and spend more time chasing the spent primers than I did actually decapping.

Boolit Master
    Well it certainly is the biggest primer catcher I have ever seen. It may never need to be emptied and for that Sir you deserve a Bud Light!

Boolit Master
    Jim, a few years ago, I called RCBS to buy a primer catcher, for a used JR 3 that I had purchased, and they sent one for no charge. Give them a call.

Banned

[looks at his Lee bored-through ram presses and smiles to self, looks at his Pro-1000s and RCBS Ammomaster and grits teeth, concludes Jim has good idea to fix the lack of engineering of some presses]

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    Hey I noticed we have the same Speer Reloading Manual, late 70s or early 80s vintage I think. Lot of loads in that you can’t find anywhere else.
    My primer catcher is not as fancy as yours. I just cut a drinking straw and slipped it in the grove under the shell holder so they would funnel into the original catch tray without bouncing everywhere.
    Do you need a Haz-Mat placard to take yours to empty it ??

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    [looks at his Lee bored-through ram presses and smiles to self, looks at his Pro-1000s and RCBS Ammomaster and grits teeth, concludes Jim has good idea to fix the lack of engineering of some presses]Gear
    I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you, Gear.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    [looks at his Lee bored-through ram presses and smiles to self, looks at his Pro-1000s and RCBS Ammomaster and grits teeth, concludes Jim has good idea to fix the lack of engineering of some presses]

Gear
    He's right.......there are a number of older press designs that didn't allow for spent primer handling........translation: they forgot.

Not only is the idea brilliant in its simplicity and cost, it's can be transferred to different presses. Good job!

By all means take that sucker to the scrap yard when it's full...$$$!!

Boolit Master

Gear
    Looks at his drilled solid ram on his Champion and smiles. The same for A-2s, etc., Redding, CO-AX but these are hollow jobies. Not picking on you Gear!

Take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    He's right.......there are a number of older press designs that didn't allow for spent primer handling........translation: they forgot.

Not only is the idea brilliant in its simplicity and cost, it's can be transferred to different presses. Good job!

By all means take that sucker to the scrap yard when it's full...$$$!!
    They won't take it. They told me if there's a pop from a live primer or explosion from a live round at the processor, they get fined $500. I dunno, I'm just repeatin' what the man told me.

Boolit Master
    i can understand that somtimes a Live one will get droped in by mistake, and i'm not going in after it. very clever idea Jim, once again you show us how crafty you are!

Boolit Buddy

Now, that's the cats meow

Smokeyloads

In Remembrance

I`ll bet those spent primers falling irritate the cats while they`re doing their duty in the pail!!Robert

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast