Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Rhineland 45 ACP Kit revisited

Boolit Man

Rhineland 45 ACP Kit revisited

still playing with mine, been shooting 230 grain cast bullets, pretty good short range accuracy out to 30 yards then it falls apart. wondering if jacketed ammo might be better for longer range. its a heck of a plinker and just about everyone that has shot it want to buy it. But i am not done playing with it yet.

is anyone else still shooting theirs???

Still building up my SIA SMLE 45 acp conversion - just found a rear ladder sight instead of the flip two distance one.

I kind of shelved mine til I get my jeep project running.

I was pretty irritated that I couldn't get it to feed consitantly. How does your work?

I will have to mess with it til it runs right. Just need the time to play with it.

My Springfield project is first up however.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I have feeding problems with mine also, I think it's the mag, cartridge nose dives with more than 4 cartridges in the mag. The mag is a Wilson Combat, should be a good mag, spring may be weak.

Boolit Master
    Check the feed ramp and polish it, try varing the seating depth on the boolits a little.
    jim

Feed ramp polished, tried all OALS that were safe. NO luck.

The problem is with the mags and the follower allowing the cartridge to be nosed over. I have a Novak mag that works pretty well but still I can't get it to feed the first 2 rounds when all 7 are loaded. There is just too much spring pressure holding the cartridge in contact with the feed lips and as a result instead of sliding along the lips, the cartridge just pivots forward using the rim as the fulcrum point. There is not sufficient pressure on the front of the round to prevent this from happening when the mag is fully loaded.

On other mags the follower tilts forward and allows the cartridge to nose over much more easily.

Then the boolits just run into the bottom edge of the feed ramp.

I even made a little extension to the feed ramp. The same thing happened, just further back!

On this arraingement the bolt MUST capture the rim before the magazine releases it. As it sits it is very close and sometimes it just gets in front of the extractor causing a no chamber condition. You can only single feed a military mauser from the magazine, the extractor will not snap over the rim of a cartridge already in the chamber.

I think I am going to have to make a special follower for my mags that has a groove the full length and long guide feet on the front and back so it can't tilt forward. That and rounding the extractor a little more will also help.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-04-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com