Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying brass???

Boolit Grand Master

Question Flying brass???

We're having problem with flying brass for all these black guns.
    Trying to write up something, to submit to the city, to help them draw up a new rule.
    Would like some ideas from what rules, if any, some of you out there might have at the range you shoot at.
    If you could post any range rules you have at your range, it would help.

In Remembrance

Oh.... so YOU'RE **THAT** guy............

As soon as people figure out that there's money in scrap brass, they'll start picking it up, and selling it. It;s worth more than pop bottles. Nobody needs more or new rules.

Brass scrap from .223 brass sells here for about $1.80 a pound.

Put up a free sign that says, "FREE MONEY!"

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Bub
    At most local public ranges here you have to shoot a revolver or a single shot/bolt gun if you want to keep your brass. There are atleast two guys that bring buckets and a small broom and dust pan. They don't shoot, but they will wait untill you leave the bench and then the sweep up everything.

The indoor and most out door private ranges have a "lost brass" policy. If it leaves the gun it belongs to the range. They will sell you small bags of fired brass, though.
    The first/last time I visited one of the indoor ranges a enthusiastic range master informed me of this rule after dumping a cylinder full of spent .38's in my range bag. I haven't been back in years.

Boolit Master

Yeah, just pick it up and count it a windfall. Or are you talking about your neighbors hot brass going down your collar.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Trying to write up something, to submit to the city, to help them draw up a new rule.
    Would like some ideas from what rules, if any, some of you out there might have at the range you shoot at.
    For lack of details, I'm guessing you're refering to people getting hit with brass. That's the nature of the beast. All automatics fling brass.

If a rule is instituted, who's going to enforce the rule? And if the rule is violated, what will the penalty be?

I've been hit in the head with brass from a legal full auto 'black gun'. I didn't appreciate the guy not letting me know it was coming, but he had as much right to the bench as I did.

My suggestion is to speak to the shooter to your left courtiously and respectfully and work out an agreement that would suit all parties concerned. It's been my experience that that works a lot better than a sign that nobody reads.

Boolit Master
    Figure out some way to attach movable/removable shields to the right edge of each bench to deflect flying brass. I don't know of such a shield. It could be nothing more than a piece of thin plywood set in a groove or bracket attached to the edge of the bench. That's the very reason I claim the leftmost available bench when I arrive.

Rules only apply to people who would be courteous enough to take care of it themselves without a rule. Rules don't seem to keep people from being discourteous or downright dangerous unless the club is willing to revoke memberships, and clubs I'm personally familiar with don't seem to be willing to do so for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    Oh.... so YOU'RE **THAT** guy............
    Yep. Clearly he believes in government. Sad.......Wait till the government shuts down the range due to injuries from flying brass and complaints of flying brass. Never heard of a government shutting down ranges unjustly.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    At our range the target stands are made of wood that is taken out to the desired range and placed in a holder. That same stand if leaned against the right side of a shooters bench makes an effective brass deflector. Most shooters are courteous enough put the shield up them selves or if ask will put it up. A simple 2' by 4' piece of plywood should work just great. No rule has been necessary.

Carl

Boolit Buddy

At my range they have installed screening between the benches to keep brass from hitting the shooter at the next bench. It works well and the brass just drops down on the floor in a pile.
    eveready

Boolit Master

Last time I went to the county-owned range, they had PVC frames with mesh/net stretched out to deflect brass hung between the positions. They were built so that they hooked over the ceiling joist, so they could easily be moved around or removed.

They were built by the local boy scout troop as a project for community service.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned

i wish someone would come fling some ar brass around at my range...
    or any other rifle brass for that matter.
    all i ever see is 22 lr and sometimes some 9m-40 cal.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i wish someone would come fling some ar brass around at my range...
    or any other rifle brass for that matter.
    all i ever see is 22 lr and sometimes some 9m-40 cal.
    You aren't there at the right time. And I feel your pain.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    eveready's got it. 2 or 3 clamps welded to a section of wire screen. That's what they do at the range I go to. Screens clamp to the right side of the benches.

I don't shoot the black guns, and I have been hit by flying brass many times, but please, no more rules.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

We got enough rules. Tell the range master to install screens, portable or fixed. If he doesn't it's a cheapskate range. I do have a brass catcher for my rifle, but not pistol. It isn't the 'dreaded black gun', it's the user.

Boolit Grand Master

Does the city own the range? If not it’s none of their business. If they do move the shooting stations further apart or put up dividers. All semi-auto have this issue. Easily solved without more rules.

Boolit Master

Back in the 60's and 70's, when I was shooting high power, getting hot brass down your neck from an M1 or M14 was part of the game. It sure improved your powers of concentration! The position on the far left was considered a Christmas present.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

pistol brass burns as well - and far left was prefered until I got a Walther P-1 it's only gun I own that is a left flinger.

What's the problem?

If it's hitting other shooters (yourself for example) just make up a screen.

http://www.cmmshootingsports.com/pro...products_id=41

If your loosing your brass consider something like this

http://elmfg.com/store/brasscatcher.html

If they are leaving it behind and your slipping on it - broom it up and pick it up and sell it either as scrap or here for cheap (HINT)
    http://www.once-fired-brass.com/?refresh=true
    Last edited by Artful; 10-24-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Love Life
    Really? This is what it has come to. You get hit with flying brass and want the city to come in a make a special rule? Blue falcon swooping in from high.

Ask your range to put up screens. If it is a private range or club then it shouldn't be that big of a deal. If it is a city owned range, they may just shut it down.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many people at our range just hang a ball cap over the scoped semi's. It deflects/catches the spent brass. Otherwise, a screen deflector as stated above would work well.

At our range, once brass gets thrown in the barrel, its fair game, or if the range is empty and someone didn't police their brass, icing on the cake.

Only had one guy , once, that was picking up brass, next to people that were shooting. He started picking up my 458 Socom brass, so I turned to him and told him to get his hands off my brass, don't appreciate you stealing. He mumbled that it was his fired brass, so I said lets go see if you are shooting a 458 Socom!! He dropped my brass and started to leave. Told him that many on the range would consider what he was doing, as theft, and the sherriff would be called. He and his buds packed up shortly afterwards and left.

Otherwise, we don't have problems with people picking up others brass. Others will help you pick yours up and if we are shooting the same round, will just split what we pick up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oneokie View Post
    You aren't there at the right time. And I feel your pain.
    i can almost see the range from my place, could if it weren't in a gully.
    but i can hear what is being shot,and how fast, from the puter screen or anywhere in the house, if i open a window.
    the issue is even during the sight in for deer/elk season everybody [well,well over 95%] takes thier brass with them.
    trust me i check.
    sometimes everyday.
    maybe that's why our little town has 2 gun shops [one doesn't even sell ammo just components]
    the gas station sells factory ammo,i have seen the same three boxes of win 7x57 there for the last 8 years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast