Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Belding & Mull Visible Powder Measure

Boolit Master

Belding & Mull Visible Powder Measure

Hi All.

I just got a Visible Powder Measure. It was kind of dirty, and I cleaned it up some (I didn't tear it all down and do the whole restoration), and when doing some searches I came across a message post where somebody said they removed the spring all together, rather than replacing it with a lighter spring. I've done to same, as far as I can tell I don't think not having the spring is going to do any harm, and it sure does make operating it much easier. Like almost everyone I've seen, the glass is cracked, but I taped it back together. I'm planning on using it mostly for black powder loading for my 45-70, and as I don't have any drop tubes, I was wondering if there's any reason I can't take a 45-70 cartridge, cut it off so it holds the proper amount of powder, and use that as a drop tube? I mean it wouldn't be adjustable, but for me that's actually a plus, not a negative. Before anyone asks, the powder reservoir is brass, not glass or plastic, so I'm pretty sure it'll be ok with black, but thought I would ask.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    Howdy Mike, I've used my Brass B&M for BP in my 45-70. I like your idea about ditching the spring. Mine can be a little squirellly. If you can make an empty case work for a drop tube, go for it. However, B &M is back in business and you can order drop tubes. Maybe you can order a new glass too.

Good Luck http://www.beldingandmull.com/chargetubes.html

Boolit Master

glass is easy to cut. single and dont over tighten

B&M's are cool, little slow but with extruded powder they are just cool. Lots of people make specific
    tubes out of the regular fixed BP measures. As long as your 45/70 case is the right diameter for the orifice
    it should work good and more economical than buying a regular fixed tube and modifying.