RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Price Jump

Price Jump

Man talk about price gouging. I looked at 30/30s last week and then went back to get one today and they were on average 75$ higher in the same pawn shops and gun stores for the same gun. You have to love hunting season! Most of them were out of 30/30s in the first place today.

I guess All the great hunters are picking up the rifle they will not site in in the next week before opening day.
    Healing hurts. It is supposed to.

RED HORSE US Air Force

Boolit Master
    After Christmas is over and the credit card bills start coming in go back to those pawn shops and I bet you will find some of those 30-30's back in stock.............Terry

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    When the bills come in you might get the rifles for half ... if you can get to them before the pawn shops see 'em !

Jack

In Remembrance

Back in the `40`s and `50`s even into the `60`s we had this annual buy today and resell to us 2 months later plan locals had. We had a general store/gas pumps and firearms store out here in farm country. Some residents would buy back their gun that they had sold to us in Jan. so they could hunt with it again in the fall. Some people bought and sold the same gun to us for many years in a row or until someone else bought it and that made people angry that we would sell their gun to someone else! Most of the guns were shotguns that doubled for birds and for deer. Rifles weren`t sold as freely as most people trusted the shotgun more and didn`t often make trips up North to deer camps. The only exception to these gun sales was the .22`s. These were the "farm guns" that were used for a multitude of things, so they stayed behind the kitchen door and loaded in case of a fox in the chicken house.Robert

In Remembrance
    I don't blame the stores or sellers. It is not only guns, but also atv's, boats, motorcycles, sleds and other things have a season to buy and a season to sell.

Boolit Master

You know what they say you snooze you loose. If I find a good deal I buy it I do not wait.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    After Christmas is over and the credit card bills start coming in go back to those pawn shops and I bet you will find some of those 30-30's back in stock.............Terry
    Yep! Jan. right on through the summer.

Kinda makes you want to put a ad in the paper about Feburary asking for 3030s. Then sell em about October when I need Christmas money. Same lack of funds but for a different reason.

I know most of the world does not see the point in planning ahead. I see it as a savings account.

RED HORSE US Air Force

Yep, think of those places as a gun-lending library. .

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    i feel you're pain, two year's ago i was wanting a T/C hawken and it was right before deer season, and the prices were crazy! so i waited till feb. and bought one for a song. it's a viscuios cycle, i had a friend that never owned a rifle for more than 3 month at a time. the pawnshop's loved him!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Catsmith View Post
    I guess All the great hunters are picking up the rifle they will not site in in the next week before opening day.
    that statement seems a little judgemental considering you intended to do exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Mold
    I would put an add in the paper. You will be surprised. There are thousands of good rifles just sleeping in closets all over America. Good luck.
    GOD Help us Help OURSELVES, the United States of America

In Remembrance
    I was in a pawnshop once looking for a 30/30, for a christmas for a younger cousin. There was several on the rack, but all priced a little high. A guy came in to pawn one for some christmas money. they offered to loan him 60 bucks or buy it outright for 80. After he turned them down, I wound up with a nice scoped marlin in a case for a hundred dollar bill.

The year before I was in a local pawnshop that I knew the owner of and was haggling over the price of a 30/30 for another cousins christmas present when a guy came in and sold his for 100 bucks, as soon as he was out the door the owner told me to give 110 and get it out of there, the gun never went on the rack. lol

Sometimes you can get lucky even in the wrong season.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    that statement seems a little judgemental considering you intended to do exactly the same thing.
    I guess it would be easy to assume that was the case. It is not the case but easy to assume none the less.
    Academy, Basspro, wallyworld, and the rest are good places to sit and people watch the last couple days before season.

Another reason I will be sitting on my front porch tomorrow morning. The moron count is lower than in the woods.

RED HORSE US Air Force

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Around here, it seems that the customer demograghic and traffic into a store determines price and availability of guns. One pawnshop routinely loans too much money on guns. Then, when the guns go into inventory they have to recoup their investment and so the prices are super high. In addition to the high prices, most of the pawnshop's clientele can't afford to be buying guns in the first place. So, the guns sit there forever until the owner decides to cut her losses and take a fair offer.

On the other side, the gun shop I usually go to is owned by a very knowledgeable and honest fellow. He gives people fair prices on trades, and he has a keen sense of what will sell and what will sit there forever. He has been in business for 20 years and all of the avid hunters and shooters peruse his shop. Most of his clients are year round shooters and hunters, so deer rifles sell just as well in February as in the fall.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.