WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skeeter's Heavy 357/Unique load.

Skeeter's Heavy 357/Unique load.

Howdy folks:
    Anyone ever tried Skeeter's Heavy 357/Unique load (Lyman 158-gr 358156
    8.0 Unique 1400 FPS)?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by maglvr; 11-10-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Master
    Not yet. My standard plinking/ practice load is 7.0 grs Unique, and I have gone to 7.5, but not any higher yet just because my accuracy started to drop off over 7.0 so I stayed with it. Going to try again though (slowly) and see if maybe something has changed over the years. Thanks for the reminder.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maglvr View Post
    Howdy folks:
    Anyone ever tried Skeeter's Heavy 357/Unique load (Lyman 158-gr 158156
    8.0 Unique 1400 FPS)?
    Thank you.
    Sure have in a Model 27 & a Ruger Blackhawk...

Boolit Master
    I did not have good luck with Skeeters load, but mine did come in a about 6.5 grains. Not very top end, but DANG will it shoot in my blackhawk. I will give up a little velocity to gain inches.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Had a chance to try it myself after I posted the question, I used LEE 150gr. SWC, it was getting dark so I just tested for signs of pressure, nothing else.
    I used mixed/fired 357 brass, Wolf Sm. pistol primers.
    Started with 7.0 gr. unique, then 7.5gr and finally 8.0 gr.
    Ruger security six was the gun used.
    Absolutely no high pressure signs other than some expected primer flattening, but none severely flattened and no cratering. brass slid easily from the chambers.
    Seems to be a safe load in my gun.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Master

If I want to load Unique that high, I use Herco. 8.0 grains is a great load with 158's.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for the accuracy of the 6.5 grain Unique load with the 358156 in .357 Mag brass. My 6" M19 shoots like a target pistol with this load. My chronograph tells me it's around 1100 fps, and that's enough for me. -Ed

Just got back from the range firing my smith 13-3 using 158 gr Lee 358-158-RF. I used 7.0 Unique as some here told me and great results again. Best accuracy yet and no leading. For me the 7 grains is the best and I could not see going any higher. Very little if any black soot and I have a nickel one so it is very easy to see.

Boolit Mold

Unique or Herco

That unique load sounds interesting.I used 10 gr. of herco and 158 cast swc for about ten years when I was loading heavier shotgun shells.I always had alot of Herco so it was a good match. Never knew hot fast they were but it made a bout the same noise and recoiled about the same as other heavy loads.That 358156 in hp was great on coyotes and shot flat enough that my young eyes made some great shots.Got tired of casting them one at a time and changed over to a gang mould. Not hp though. Don't like paying for gas checks either.Wish I could get a check maker.Maybe someday.Think I'll go to the bench and load up some 357 unique loads.Later, Glen

Moderator Emeritus

Droped the wifes load down to 6.7 , seems to work for her. I do load quite a bit of 2400 for everything else.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master
    Ok, You got me curious and I went and tried it in both my Ruger Security Six 4" and my Rossi '92 20". I did not have a chronograph with me so can not report as to velocities achieved in either gun. Here is what I did. Loaded up my standard 7.0gr Unique load over a 158gr boolit, and then went up in 0.2gr increments, loading 10 of each until I got to 8.0grs. I then fired 5 of each in each gun, shooting the Ruger at 25yds and the Rossi at 100. The group size remained unchanged throughout this test in each gun, although elevation did change. I also did not get any pressure signs in MY guns, so work up slowly in yours like I did and stay safe. Will have to try and get the Chrono out sometime and see what these loads are actually doing.

Boolit Master

I find Herco loads to be more accurate in both the .357 and the .44 mag than Unique.

I like Unique in the .38 Special but I don't seek maximum velocity.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    I just tried a few 7.5 Unique under 150 grain 358477 bullets. It showed a lot of promise but it was too windy to call it a done deal.
    Rex

Boolit Grand Master

Just a word of caution;

I've measured the pressure (Oehler M43 with Contender barrel) of 7.5 gr Unique under the 358477 at 37,300 psi(M43). That is above the SAAMI MAP for the .357 magnum.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Larry,
    Thank you, that is very good to know. I figured it was pushing the limits, but did not see any pressure signs. Even though this seemed ok in my gun, I really like the 7.0 Unique load, so will stick with it. I use 2400 for when I want/need more velocity, but wanted to try to see how close I could get to this load without issues.

Wonder how power pistol would work?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Just a word of caution;

I've measured the pressure (Oehler M43 with Contender barrel) of 7.5 gr Unique under the 358477 at 37,300 psi(M43). That is above the SAAMI MAP for the .357 magnum.

Larry Gibson

Howdja do that?

Does the Oehler do that?

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Howdja do that?

Does the Oehler do that?

Yes, the Oheler M43 does that. A strain gauge is attached over the chamber (I center them over he SAAMI specified point). It is connected to the M43 which is connected to a laptop with a specific program in it.

Photo shows the set up at the range. The M43 is under the laptop. This particular set up is giving the psi and velocity of each shot. The M43 gives the instrumental velocity and also corrects it back to the muzzle. It also provides the ES, SD and average of the velocity and the psi. The M43 program also automatically computes bullet drop at ranges to 250 or 500 yards depending on muzzle velocity. Yes, I do have a 3 bench bursting radii when testing...........

Another set of skyscreens can be placed down range in front of the target (up to 100 yards) which measured the time of flight and gives the actual BC of the bullet fired. Measuring the BC gives us and using it for correct "drop" figures for longer ranges is the most common use. However, measuring the actual BC of the fired bullet can also give us information on the stability of the bullet out of a particular firearm; the higher the actual BC the more stable the bullet is in flight.

There is a lot of data that must be input into the program for each firearm, load, set up and atmospheric conditions for the output of data to be correct and relevent. Obviously care must be taken to ensure correct input to get correct out put. Not a quick run to the range and chrono a couple loads set up. For that I still use my Oehler M35P with screen center 15' from muzzle.

Larry Gibson

I just stumbled on this thread in a google search, and didn't even realize it was one I had started 7 years ago! That is until I saw my precious Shadow looking back at me from the top of "Her drill press" that she claimed as her perch / roosting spot, in my shop. When I was reloading i'd put up a curtain so she couldn't decide to fly down on the bench and send everything spilling about, she would hop up and down to peek over to see what I was up to! I miss her dearly!
    Since that post I have moved on to heavier boolits for the 357 and have not loaded much UNIQUE as a result, but have settled on 2400 as my go to powder. I think I might have to pull out the UNIQUE again and see what it can do with a 170gr WFN.
    Safe and happy shooting...
    Maglvr
    The .357 Magnum......
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)

Boolit Buddy

Not Unique but I load the 357429 that weighs 173 grains (old mould) with 7.5 grains of Herco. Get an honest 1200+ fps out of my 4" M-66 and all the accuracy I could ask for.

2shot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast